Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which west coast city is the LEAST overpriced for what it offers?
Seattle 13 13.98%
Portland 23 24.73%
Los Angeles 38 40.86%
San Diego 19 20.43%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:47 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times

Advertisements

Why isn't Sacramento on this list it's about the same size as Portland?

Portland
City: 632,309
Urban: 1,849,898
Metro: 2,389,228
CSA: 3,110,906

Sacramento
City: 485,199
Urban: 1,723,634
Metro: 2,149,127
CSA: 2,414,783

If Sacramento were on this list it probably would win since it's the cheapest of them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Shhhh Sacramento doesn't offer anything, stay away people, get back!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Shhhh Sacramento doesn't offer anything, stay away people, get back!
I know right. And they will never let us in their "elitist" club, but we don't care. Like the new Pushkins Bakery/Cafe on Capitol. OMG, it kills anything in any of those cities. Pushkins reminds me of the awesome cafes in Montreal. You must go!

I voted for LA because it is so vast and there are so many neighborhoods like far out in the San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Inland Empire that must have reasonable price points.

I've never lived that far out in LA(not counting my time in North Hollywood which is very close to central LA), but I've wondered if I had a 3bd, 2ba in Riverside how much of Central LA/West LA would I partake and how often. I have friends in Chatsworth and they partake in Hollywood/West LA/Downtown often despite the horrible traffic.

For decades people in LA know you must plan and allow for traffic. Lines are long, very long, everywhere for everything. If you live Downtown, and a friend lives in Chatsworth and you want to have dinner midweek on a whim..... then you meet somewhere at the halfway point like at a Studio City restaurant.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
LA, easily. Los Angeles offers so much more than these other cities and isn't that much more expensive.

Edited to add: I don't think any of our top tier cities are overpriced. New York, LA and Chicago all offer terrific value. It's the 2nd tier where cities start getting overpriced: DC, Boston, San Francisco and Seattle (although Seattle is probably at the top of the third tier).
Though most people think expensive when they think of San Diego, I think it has a case to be made here.

My neighborhood in San Diego is pretty much analogous to Mar Vista in Los Angeles (only with city views because we're on a hill, and closer to light rail), where condos of similar size and amenities are double or more than what I paid. The weather and beaches you get with San Diego don't come with any of those lower tier places you mentioned.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:03 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Sacramento and Las Vegas (if it is considered West coast)?

Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LOL

Seattle lacks big city amenities found in LA.

Heavy rail, entertainment, nightlife, museums, etc.
Idk about "heavy rail" but I'm 100% sure Seattle has entertainment, nightlife and museums. Shoot, kids in small cowtowns like the one I lived in 2 years ago manage to find entertainment and have fun, so if you can't find those things in a city as large and as beautiful as Seattle, then you're the problem, not the city.

God I can't stand urban elitist attitudes. "If its not like NYC or LA then its laaaame/a dump/snoresville!" Gimme a break.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:13 AM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
It's all "overpriced" but you're getting the best of the best. It's turned into a cutthroat, luxurious, and very populated place. It's still worth it though if you can find your way in. The more you're willing to pay, the more amenities you'll have and vise versa. San Diego has nice weather but it's the most boring of them all and is experiencing drought. Portland is the cheapest but also smallest and coldest. There are still some affordable towns in Washington, Oregon, and Northern California if you enjoy small town living. ( Pt. Townsend, Port Angeles, Anacortes, Eugene, Salem, Arcata, Eureka, and I would say Bellingham but it's starting to become expensive too). Tacoma has about a year left before it gets crazy, but if you want something nice, in a walkable neighborhood, safe, with good schools, you will be paying a good amount of money.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
LA winning this poll for obvious reasons.

All of the other cities on this list are lesser.

Less interesting people are simply found in leas interesting metros.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:55 PM

345 posts, read 810,335 times
seattle losing bad. so most people think portland offers more bang for their buck? because everyone says portland is very overpriced as well

Old 01-22-2017, 01:49 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
seattle losing bad. so most people think portland offers more bang for their buck? because everyone says portland is very overpriced as well
No. Portland isn't very expensive. Its the cheapest on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City