Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Minneapolis
Pittsburgh 81 42.19%
Mineeapolis 95 49.48%
Both pretty much the same 16 8.33%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 AM

345 posts, read 810,939 times

Advertisements

Criterias include:

nightlife
culture
shopping
dining
scenery
outdoor activities
crime rate
economy
people
weather
quality of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Both cities offer similar things, IMO. But I prefer Minneapolis.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:32 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Both cities offer similar things, IMO. But I prefer Minneapolis.
Exactly the same for me - I like both, but prefer Twin Cities.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times
Pittsburgh, closer to more cities, hillier, much milder climate, cool bar strips.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,393,358 times
Minneapolis. Less scary and Mall of America.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Pittsburgh, closer to more cities, hillier, much milder climate, cool bar strips.
It's pretty easy to predict - you make a determination in every cvc thread based soley on how hot a place is

Old 06-03-2015, 01:12 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
It's pretty easy to predict - you make a determination in every cvc thread based soley on how hot a place is
You mean how mild (not as cold) a place is

Cold weather sucks, especially the kind the midwest gets. OTOH, I listed I believe 4 reasons

Old 06-03-2015, 01:19 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
Nightlife: Don't Know, haven't been around both enough
Culture: Pittsburgh
Shopping: What kind? Pittsburgh doesn't have a MOA, Minny doesn't have a Carson Street
Dining: Pittsburgh
Scenery: Pittsburgh
Outdoor Activities: Pittsburgh
Crime Rate: Minneapolis? Not sure
Economy: Even
Weather: Pittsburgh
Quality of Life: Pittsburgh
Higher Education: Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh with a pretty easy victory IMO, though both cities are nice.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
You mean how mild (not as cold) a place is

Cold weather sucks, especially the kind the midwest gets. OTOH, I listed I believe 4 reasons
You often use superfluous "reasons" to distract from the fact that you will and have, in every single CVC comparison, pick the hotter locale.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:16 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Nightlife: Draw

Pittsburgh wins for bars, and Minneapolis/St. Paul wins for nightclubs.

Culture: Pittsburgh

Not that Minneapolis/St. Paul is lacking, just that Pittsburgh punches well above its weight, thanks to the philanthropy of its former industrialists.

Shopping: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Minneapolis/St. Paul has the Mall of America, which is an international draw. Shopping in Pittsburgh didn't start to move upscale until about 10 years ago, though the pent-up demand suggested that it should have happened sooner.

Dining: Draw

Minneapolis/St. Paul is probably better for fine dining, but Pittsburgh has always done junk food well, and the overall culinary scene is underrated.

Scenery: Pittsburgh

It's pretty flat in Minneapolis/St. Paul once you get away from the Mississippi River. Pittsburgh is probably the most scenic city that's not on the West Coast.

Outdoor activities: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Pittsburgh has lots of recreational opportunities, and they are taken advantage of, but only when the weather is warm, it seems. Minneapolis/St. Paul goes outside year-round, though, including the winter, when Pittsburghers ***** about the weather so relentlessly that you want to duct-tape their mouths shut and beat them with a bar of soap in a pillow case.

Crime: Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh has a slightly lower violent crime rate than Minneapolis, and a slightly higher violent crime rate than St. Paul, but a significantly lower property crime rate than both cities.

Economy: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Minneapolis/St. Paul never had to build a whole new economy from scratch like Pittsburgh did, so the economic gains there were never negated by losses in other industries.

People: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Pittsburgh is the friendliest city in the Northeast, but that's like having the prettiest face in a group of fat girls. Pennsylvania has more *******s per capita than Minnesota does.

Weather: Draw

Which can you deal with better in the winter, extreme cold or extreme cloud?

Quality of life: Minneapolis/St. Paul

Both do well in this regard, but Minneapolis/St. Paul wins for being wealthier and friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City