Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Minneapolis
Pittsburgh 81 42.19%
Mineeapolis 95 49.48%
Both pretty much the same 16 8.33%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Very unbiased post and good comparison.

I do have a grip though. Have you ever been to the laurel Highlands? The skiing there is the best in the Eastern US (hold for the Adirondacks and vermont). Nothing within a 10 hour drive of Minneapolis can compare...
took these from Wikipedia, maybe Laurel Highlands is out of date?

Vertical
1,087 - Lutsen Mountains Lutsen Mtns
900 - Laurel Highlands Laurel Highlands

# runs
92 - Lutsen
20 - Laurel

longest run
2 miles - Lutsen
7,920' - Laurel

acres
1,000 - Lutsen
70 - Laurel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:42 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Vertical

# runs
92 - Lutsen
20 - Laurel

longest run
2 miles - Lutsen
7,920' - Laurel

acres
1,000 - Lutsen
70 - Laurel
Your link is broken.

Plus look now at these if you are including out of metro areas:

Snowshoe WV
Blue knob PA
Wisp MD
Canaan valley WV

Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'm a Floridian who lived in Chicago and found the winters more tolerable there than summertime in FL. It's just a personal preference although several of my friends who made the same move as me (lived in Chicago but originally from Jax) all felt the same.

I guess it's hard to make a generalization one way or another.
As a former South Carolinian I would have to agree. I find winters here more tolerable (even being as cold as they are) than summers back home. But hey to each is own.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:

Vertical

# runs
92 - Lutsen
20 - Laurel

longest run
2 miles - Lutsen
7,920' - Laurel

acres
1,000 - Lutsen
70 - Laurel
It appears that Lutsen Mountain has more prominence than any of the ski resorts in the Laurel Highlands despite being at a much lower elevation. Lutsen Mountain is close to Lake Superior, which is only about 600-700 feet above sea level. On the other hand, the lowest elevations in the Laurel Highlands are still about 2,000 feet above sea level, so the peaks are less prominent. Be that as it may, the Laurel Highlands are vastly underrated for outdoor recreation and tourism. I think both Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania should promote it much more than they do.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:

Vertical

# runs
92 - Lutsen
20 - Laurel

longest run
2 miles - Lutsen
7,920' - Laurel

acres
1,000 - Lutsen
70 - Laurel
Realized you were looking at a state run ski resort that's now closed. 7 springs is in the Laurel Highlands. Also vertical isn't the same as vertical drop. 7 springs vertical would be 3001 (top) - 1475 (bottom near champion, pa) = 1526'

PA Pennsylvania Ski Resort | Four Season Resort | Seven Springs Mountain Resort |
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seve...,_Pennsylvania
7 Springs
Vertical drop = 900' (Although blue knob and snowshoe are closer to 1500', 7 springs is a larger resort)
Average snowfall = 12.75' / 153"
Size / runs = 52 non tree slopes
Longest run = 1.5 miles
Capacity = 26400 skiers / hour

Lutsen Mountains
Lustin
Vertical drop = 825'
Average snowfall = 9.5 feet / 114"
Size / runs = 92 runs
Longest run = 2 miles
Capacity = 10000 skiers/hour

Old 07-08-2015, 12:05 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Looks like a "similar option" to me, which is what he originally replied to. I don't believe anyone said the MN options were "clearly superior" or anything silly like that.

Lutsen is especially nice in that you're towering over the largest freshwater lake on earth. Laurel Highlands are also very pretty, I'm a big fan of PA's underrated scenery.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,120 times
What are you talking about?!? Minneapolis is way closer to other cities. Have ever looked at a map and seen that Minneapolis is the 15th biggest metro in the US and has 3 of the 5 biggest cities in the state all bordered with each other.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minne Max View Post
What are you talking about?!? Minneapolis is way closer to other cities. Have ever looked at a map and seen that Minneapolis is the 15th biggest metro in the US and has 3 of the 5 biggest cities in the state all bordered with each other.
Not sure who you're responding to, but you aren't actually trying to make a case that Minneapolis is in a better location with regards to being closer to more/better metro areas than Pittsburgh is, are you?

Old 11-07-2017, 02:40 AM

398 posts, read 382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Well put.

I, fortunately, have lived in both. Both are great cities. I may be able to make a fair, reasonable comparison:

Nightlife: Minneapolis, by a hair. I think that the nightlife in Minneapolis (outside of Hennepin and 1st Avenues) appeals more to my late-20's demographic than the Southside, though (which would be more fun for college kids with fake IDs)

Culture: This could mean many things. As far as high culture goes....it's a real push. I prefer the MIA to the Carnegie Museum of Art, but I prefer Carnegie's Natural History Museum to anything comparable we have in the Twin Cities (which would include the Minnesota History Museum and Bell Museum, I suppose).

Minneapolis is a leader in live theater, music, stand-up comedy, dance, and I much prefer Minneapolis's offerings of galleries and free art events. Pittsburgh does all of these things well, though, and one could argue it does a few better...

Shopping: Um....neither are really known for it. Shadyside's offering of boutiques and local places beats out Uptown or 50th and France, though, in my opinion. So I guess I'll give it to Pittsburgh?

(side bar: clevelander1991, if you think Carson Street is a major shopping district, or that Minneapolis has nothing like it, then it's obvious you haven't spent much time in either city...)

Dining: Minneapolis. And this one ain't close. But both cities were awful restaurant towns up until 10-20 years ago, and in both, the restaurant scene has really emerged. Minneapolis is just a little further on the trajectory than Pittsburgh is, at this point.

Scenery: Pittsburgh, and it ain't close. (as far as natural scenery goes, anyway. If you want downtown or city-scape: they pretty much tie for skyline, when you talk about it objectively and don't consider that Pittsburgh's hills provide more dramatic vantage points. I prefer Pittsburgh's residential architecture, too-- it's rowhouses, georgian style buildings that I remember in Shadyside, and all of the houses of Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, etc. Minneapolis isn't bad in this regard, but I do prefer Pittsburgh. Also, as far as parkland goes, while Minneapolis's system is more extensive, it consists mostly of small community parks. Schenley and Highland Parks are in-your-face, stately, early-century, palaces to leisure)

Outdoor Activities: Minneapolis. Pittsburgh's largest parks are gorgeous, but the system is not integrated with trails and bike paths like Minneapolis's is. Also, Pittsburgh has few (if any) urban lakes. I do think Pittsburgh has done a better job overall of utilizing its river(s) for recreational purposes. And I am told you can bike from the Southside all the way to DC! (I don't bike...). I also think that Minneapolis, overall, has better outdoor recreation closer by than Pittsburgh does. If you're really into hills, the North Shore by Duluth is easy to get to and provides similar options for hiking and skiing as Western Pennsylvania. But Ohiopyle doesn't hold a candle to the lakes and state park options near Minneapolis.

Crime: Supposedly Minneapolis's crime rate is higher, overall. But to be honest, they are both very safe cities, and if you avoid certain neighborhoods (the Hill in Pittsburgh, or Jordan in Minneapolis), you will be properly insulated from crime.

Economy: Probably even, when all is said and done. Probably very comparable unemployment rates and job creation. Pittsburgh is a little lower salary on average, but more than cheaper enough to offset the difference. In fact, I was amazed with how easily people were able to buy houses in Pittsburgh, given their ages and incomes.

Weather: Pittsburgh, and it ain't even close. The typical Minneapolis apologist will talk about how we tolerate winters because the summers are "beautiful." Weather-wise, the summers are better in Pittsburgh, there are fewer mosquitoes and the winter's aren't nearly as bad. Pittsburgh actually gets four seasons, too....Minneapolis really doesn't. Unless your seasons are Winter, Thaw, Summer, and pre-Winter blizzard season.

Quality of Life: Um....I think it's probably easier to get ahead in Pittsburgh. Traffic is a little better, from my observation, although Minneapolis isn't bad in that regard. the weather thing certainly impacts quality of life, too.

Higher Education: Pittsburgh. But if you throw St. Paul (Macalester, St. Thomas, St. Kates, Hamline, William Mitchell, Concordia) into the mix, and Northfield (Carleton, St. Olaf), then Minneapolis has a fighting chance. The U is an elite public research institution....and Minneapolis has some other smaller colleges like Augsburg. But Pittsburgh has Pitt, CMU, Chatham, Carlow, Duquesne and Point Park all within city-limits. There may be fewer undergrad and grad students in Pittsburgh total, but they probably make up a higher percentage of the population. And all of the programs in Pittsburgh are comparable or better than in Minneapolis (except maybe Law). So, yeah...Pittsburgh.

Location: Pittsburgh. Minneapolis is too isolated. Pittsburgh is about equidistant from New York and Chicago, with lots of cool cities in between.

So....in my opinion, I guess it's 6-4 Pittsburgh, with a couple of ties?
This is a phenomenal breakdown. Two solid cities but I think the dong-numbingly cold winters of Minneapolis puts it behind Pittsburgh. Also, Pittsburgh is just insanely scenic.

However, Minneapolis has a ton of lakes and beaches which is pretty cool. Minneapolis is supposed to also be epic for biking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City