Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia vs Ohio
Georgia 79 56.83%
Ohio 60 43.17%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Since when did football have innings?

Bad analogy = 1
You = 0
LD, you slay just about every time. And I personally like Ohio, but I like Georgia more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:44 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Runner View Post
Where would you rather live?
  • Cost of Living/Taxes
  • K-12 Education
  • College Education
  • Food/Restaurants
  • Quality of Life
  • Safety/Crime
  • Overall Economy
  • Cities
  • Future

Here is how I would answer:

COL/Taxes: Georgia
K-12 Education: Ohio
College Education: Georgia
Food/Restaurants: Ohio
Quality of Life: Georgia
Safety/Crime: Ohio
Overall Economy: Georgia
Cities: Georgia
Future: Georgia
This. I co-sign this. Not everyone likes Southern food, but it's the only food for moi.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
LD, you slay just about every time. And I personally like Ohio, but I like Georgia more.
Love you, too!

Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindecatur View Post
since when did football have innings?

Bad analogy = 1
you = 0
+10

Old 02-12-2017, 11:40 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I submit another analogy. The current NBA champions were down 3-1 yet won the series, and that team is... oops.

Ok, I just read that basketball does not use innings, therefore:
2-Bad analogy
1-Krisps

But I won't give up in my epic battle with Bad Analogy for I know that "it ain't over til it's over", unlike pro sports teams from... oops.
Just....stop. Please. You're starting to sound like Sean Spicer.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:35 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Interesting thread topic, and per normal it went down the standard City-Vs-City "who's style contest as always.

To the posters responding thus far, shame on you.

Now to answer the questions:

Cost of Living/Taxes - Ohio
- I know I'll get pushback, but with anything there is give and take. You want better services from your government, you have to pay more to get them. Atlanta and most of Georgia shuts down when an inch of snow hits, Ohio does not because we pay for the salt, trucks, and everything else necessary to plow out. This makes the state more productive, which allows people to work more hours, and reduces their cost of living and taxes overall.
Additionally, the tax revenue is better spent. There's less money spent on poaching companies, and more money spent on developing the ones already in the state, although we were steered off this course somewhat by our current Gov. Kasich.

K-12 Education - Ohio
- I live in Indiana now, and I can say without a doubt the schools are noticably worse. Not only in visual quality (building age/repair, etc.) but also in internal quality as well. I've taken some time to look through school report cards in the communities around my new home up to points around Indianapolis and beyond, finding average ACT/SAT scores, college admission rates, etc. are indeed lower. And Indiana schools are better than Georgia Schools...

College Education - Georgia
- Now this would depend on the definition of this question, but as I interpret it, I see it as "where is the best place to be a graduating senior choosing a college?" and that answer is clearly Georgia due to the HOPE scholarship. It essentially offers full tuition to any resident student at an in-state public institution that gets a 3.0 or above. Honestly this program should be implemented across the US, but for now Georgia is taking a lead and therefore without a doubt deserves best for college education.

Food/Restaurants - Georgia for someone outside the US / matter of preference otherwise
- I have not had much of a chance to experience restaurants in Georgia, and I know Ohio has an AMAZING selection (compared to Indiana at least!). But if I were coming in from Europe, or Asia, or wherever else and wanted to experience American cuisine, I'd probably be hard pressed to beat fried chicken, mashed potatoes and collard greens from an authentic southern restaurant in Georgia.

If I were an American, I think I've been able to experience good southern style cooking in OH, and I'd appreciate the easier access, relatively speaking, to good restaurants in OH than backwoods GA. But from a regional diversity perspective, I think both have a lot of perks.... GA's food is more about raw crops (peaches, pecans, etc.) and Ohio is more about the finished product (pierogies, Dayton style thin crust pizza cut in squares, Tony Packo's, Cincy Chili, goetta, Amish food & pies, etc.)

Quality of Life - Ohio
- If anything just because it's a lot easier to see the US from there than GA. With all the hassles of air travel nowadays, it's a lot easier to hop in the car and go! A few hours to Chicago, a day's drive to New York, an easy day trip to the Kentucky Derby ot Indy 500 when the time comes, and many great cities and places within a close trip like Indianapolis, Detroit, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Lexington's bluegrass horse country, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Nashville, etc. GA depending on where you are puts you close to the nice beaches of Florida or the Appalachian Mountains, but it's more removed from the rest of the country. As far as internal quality of life, Ohio is pretty cushy/well set in all aspects from safety to infrastructure, etc. so I'd give it the win there, but I haven't been to GA recently to observe.

Safety/Crime - Ohio
- There's an interesting discussion on the OH forum about gated communities. It asks why Ohio has few, almost none, while almost every community in FL is gated. And the overwhelming answer is "why would OH need gated communities?". Don't get me wrong, Ohio has crime, but for better or worse it is more concentrated in predictable, geographically small areas, normally in the larger cities. I'm not sure how similar GA is to FL, but in FL crime is a lot more rampant and unpredictable in location because significantly sized suburban areas experience high crime. That's why people have gated communities, and public schools are worse - I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but FL is a lot less segregated than OH, which makes it less safe overall. I assume GA is relatively similar, thus why I'm giving OH the nod.

Overall Economy - Tie
- I say tie because I know that GA poached a lot of their larger companies and employment sites with large tax incentives dependent on continued operation at these facilities. I also know companies have worse years, close sites, etc. which means these tax bills often get stuck with taxpayers, not the corporations. So I'm not sure how this will fare for GA down the road. OH right now does not have a great economy, but it appears to be making small strides over the past few years, with most of the growth being organic. This doesn't mean that will keep up though.

Cities - Ohio
- This is because 1) OH has a lot more cities of significant size and 2) OH is a lot closer to cities of significant size in other states. Like it or not, metro Detroit is still a powerhouse of equitable size to Atlanta with similar amenities, only an hour away from Toledo, making it a popular destination for Ohioans. Chicago and Pittsburgh are relatively close and very popular destination cities for Ohioans as well, and Buffalo/Niagara Falls & Toronto are popular weekend trip destinations for NE Ohioans.

Future - ???
- Honestly...
Donald Trump is our president.
Bruce Jenner is a chick.
The Kardashians have replaced the British royal family in the eyes of most Americans.
The Cubs won the World Series.
Orange is the new Black (sorry Barack).
Books are outdated.
The world's largest hotel owns no rooms.
Most people get their news from articles with no investigative reporting.
The world's largest taxi service owns no cars.
China's looking like it will take America's spot as the world's most influential country.
And we appear to have morphed overnight into the USSR.

I don't know what any of our futures looks like....
Nice try though.
I'm quoting my own post to get this back on topic.

If you don't have the attention span to remember, which for all of you I doubt you do, the topic is which state do you perceive to offer the best quality of life in the mentioned areas. Again, for reference here's what I thought, I assume others have opinions too (opinions, after all, are like everyone's got one).

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-12-2017, 03:28 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:

If you don't have the attention span to remember, which for all of you I doubt you do, the topic is which state do you perceive to offer the best quality of life in the mentioned areas. Again, for reference here's what I thought, I assume others have opinions too (opinions, after all, are like crap-holes, everyone's got one).
Eh, these "versus" topics usually devolve at some point. You made a high-quality contribution nonetheless.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,829 times
Quote:

If you don't have the attention span to remember, which for all of you I doubt you do, the topic is which state do you perceive to offer the best quality of life in the mentioned areas. Again, for reference here's what I thought, I assume others have opinions too (opinions, after all, are like everyone's got one).
Well no one attacked your opinions but I did correct statements that you made that were erroneous but led you to those opinions.
So if the information you are using to base your information is wrong,you can still have your opinion but then your credibility is lost.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
How does Ohio have better seafood than GA?

Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
How does Ohio have better seafood than GA?
You've never heard of the Great Sea of Erie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City