Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
most likely. also, nassau was hit harder with hurricane sandy, and obama honestly did jack **** to help the victims (maybe why monmouth/ocean county NJ went red?).
Right.

Quote:
In the seven months since the storm hit, the federal government has spent billions to replenish flood insurance and disaster funds that were depleted by Sandy. The disaster package also included funds for Community Development Block Grants, flexible funds for homeowners and businesses, as well as money for beach protection, transportation and public works projects intended to make the New Jersey/New York region better able to withstand future storms.
Obama cheers Jersey Shore recovery, but sees years of work ahead - News - NorthJersey.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 11:22 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything because I don't live there and wasn't on the front lines, but my parents live in Nassau County in an area that was devastated by Sandy and I don't remember hearing anyone there blaming the federal government for anything. I thought the consensus was that the Obama administration's response was much better than Bush's was during and after Katrina.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,719,580 times
Question: where is the approximate boundary between North and South Shore in the Town of Oyster Bay?

Are Hicksville and Plainview more North or South?

Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Question: where is the approximate boundary between North and South Shore in the Town of Oyster Bay?

I think there's a widespread feeling that everything on Long Island is North or South Shore, even among Long Islanders, but there are definitely parts that can't be described as either. I used to work in Melville and I remember someone asking me which shore that was on -- I asked around the office and the consensus was neither.

It's kind of like how people think everyone on Long Island lives off the LIE. I didn't grow up anywhere near the LIE. When I went off to college in Chicago, sometimes I'd encounter people who knew Long Island, and they'd knowingly ask me, "Which exit?" I'd usually respond by giving a detailed description of how you might reach my house coming from the LIE, including all the other highways you'd have to take after exiting.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I think there's a widespread feeling that everything on Long Island is North or South Shore, even among Long Islanders, but there are definitely parts that can't be described as either. I used to work in Melville and I remember someone asking me which shore that was on -- I asked around the office and the consensus was neither.

It's kind of like how people think everyone on Long Island lives off the LIE. I didn't grow up anywhere near the LIE. When I went off to college in Chicago, sometimes I'd encounter people who knew Long Island, and they'd knowingly ask me, "Which exit?" I'd usually respond by giving a detailed description of how you might reach my house coming from the LIE, including all the other highways you'd have to take after exiting.
People do that in Jersey too with the turnpike. When you tell people that you live/lived in Jersey it's usually followed up with "which exit"

Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post

Yep, I live nowhere near the LIE

Old 02-10-2017, 05:38 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post

There is no precise definition is what is North Shore or South Shore and people have different opinions and it varies by what your talking about. Generally IMO, any community (village/hamlet) that touches one of the South Shore bays is considered South Shore. Thus a rough rule of thumb in Nassau County is any community south of the Southern State Parkway is South Shore.

In Oyster Bay, that means Massapequa and Massapequa Park are South Shore. Hicksville and Plainview are Mid-Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City