Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskingIguana View Post
First of all Brickell is not part of downtown. Downtown is north of the Miami river while Brickell is to the South and they are distinct neighborhoods.

And here is the population of Brickell - Brickell Demographics & Statistics

So Brickell alone has 56,000 people.

South Beach probably has another 50,000 people (of which South Pointe is a part).
If you look at the boundaries on the map in the link you will see that they are on both sides of the river, plus even wiki says so "Brickell is an urban neighborhood of Greater Downtown Miami, Florida", However it does seem that the numbers on walkscore are incorrect, and I'm assuming that they are using 2010 data, in 2010 greater downtown had 65,696 people, so the updated population would be 86,505 people, but if you use 2014 data for greater downtown it would be 80,750, bring up the total population to 101,559 still less than Seattle's 110,514 using data from walkscore so it's very possible that Seattle has way more people living there since the Core of Seattle has been growing very fast this decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You'd be wrong.
I cannot be wrong when I state a personal preference, mate.

So there!

LOL

Old 03-02-2017, 04:49 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
Austin.

And whoever made that list is very misinformed. Austin should be in the Top Five.

Maybe higher.

Philly and the word vibrant don't belong in the same sentence. Half the cities on that list have wickedd cold winters and sky high crime.

Not Austin.
No way. Austin is less walkable than even Dallas and Atlanta. Walkability goes beyond just bars. Many of these cities have 10 Downtown Austins combined in their city. Try beating that for walkability.

You can't use the excuse of climate either. Some can say Texas is too hot to walk in the summer. I think either excuse is ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM

416 posts, read 253,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
If you look at the boundaries on the map in the link you will see that they are on both sides of the river, plus even wiki says so "Brickell is an urban neighborhood of Greater Downtown Miami, Florida", However it does seem that the numbers on walkscore are incorrect, and I'm assuming that they are using 2010 data, in 2010 greater downtown had 65,696 people, so the updated population would be 86,505 people, but if you use 2014 data for greater downtown it would be 80,750, bring up the total population to 101,559 still less than Seattle's 110,514 using data from walkscore so it's very possible that Seattle has way more people living there since the Core of Seattle has been growing very fast this decade.
Those are not the only areas in Miami with high walkscores, see Coconut Grove: https://www.walkscore.com/score/3333...miami-fl-33133

This residential property earned a walkscore of 96 and encompasses most of Coconut Grove.

I don't think dividing it by neighborhood makes much sense, to be fair it's reliant on the shape and size of the neighborhoods. You can think of this as why politicans Gerrymander.

A lot of Miami's neighborhoods are far larger than Seattle's.

Looking at the maps from afar, Miami has just as much Green weighted area, if not more so than Seattle.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 PM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
Quote:
Brickell has more shops, restaurants and condos than Little Havana, and is probably denser than any Seattle neighborhood.

It has 56,000 people in 1.19 sq miles. And part of that includes water between Brickell and Brickell Key.
Like you stated in a prior post, Seattle has significantly more neighborhoods (smaller in size) which have relatively high density and walkability and offer nightlife, dining, and shopping.

And according to this article, the densest part of Capitol Hill has about 55,000 people per square mile.

http://seattle.curbed.com/2016/2/8/1...ted-big-cities

Old 03-02-2017, 05:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
I cannot be wrong when I state a personal preference, mate.

So there!

LOL

Except you didn't say you liked warmer cities more than colder cities; that would be a statement if preference. You stated that warmer cities are more vibrant than colder cities and you're quite mistaken on that point. Nobody takes you seriously if you think LA is more vibrant and pedestrian-friendly than NYC or that Phoenix is more vibrant and pedestrian-friendly than Philadelphia.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:07 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Those are not the only areas in Miami with high walkscores, see Coconut Grove: https://www.walkscore.com/score/3333...miami-fl-33133

This residential property earned a walkscore of 96 and encompasses most of Coconut Grove.

I don't think dividing it by neighborhood makes much sense, to be fair it's reliant on the shape and size of the neighborhoods. You can think of this as why politicans Gerrymander.

A lot of Miami's neighborhoods are far larger than Seattle's.

Looking at the maps from afar, Miami has just as much Green weighted area, if not more so than Seattle.
maybe Miami is equally as walkable as Seattle, but there is now way that Miami is significantly more walkable.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Like you stated in a prior post, Seattle has significantly more neighborhoods (smaller in size) which have relatively high density and walkability and offer nightlife, dining, and shopping.

And according to this article, the densest part of Capitol Hill has about 55,000 people per square mile.

http://seattle.curbed.com/2016/2/8/1...ted-big-cities
I said Seattle has smaller neighborhoods, but not that they're denser. In fact, they are less dense.

The reason Seattle has more neighborhoods could be anyone's guess. Why does Georgia have more counties than California?

My personal guess it's related to the topography, a lot of the hills break up neighborhoods whereas Miami is relatively flat and has nothing to break up the neighborhoods except water (Biscayne Bay, and various rivers).

Here is a link to density: Seattle among top 10 most densely populated big cities in the U.S. for first time ever | The Seattle Times

Miami is the 4th densest city in the USA at 11,997 ppsm, whereas Seattle has only 7,962 ppsm.

Also your last statement sounds more like a sales pitch. I would stack up streets like Ocean Drive with any street in Seattle.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
maybe Miami is equally as walkable as Seattle, but there is now way that Miami is significantly more walkable.
I never said significantly more walkable, my original statement:

Quote:
I would think Miami would come out favorably over a city like Seattle but it's definitely far more walkable than Atlanta, a city I also lived.
This implies the situation is close enough since I'm not definitely calling it like Atlanta.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Quote:
Brickell has more shops, restaurants and condos than Little Havana, and is probably denser than any Seattle neighborhood.

It has 56,000 people in 1.19 sq miles. And part of that includes water between Brickell and Brickell Key.
Not a big fan of Brickell, it's too "Sun-Belty" for me. Most of the Condos/Apartments rarely have ground floor retail. In Seattle, most of the core neighborhoods have a mixture of Midrise Condos/Apartments with ground floor retail, with already added retail, businesses, and other local spots in close proximity. Seattle's core neighborhoods feel more "full" in a sense, it makes walking feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City