Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, have walkable blocks around Deep Ellum, Uptown, Midtown, Rice, but on the whole are exceptionally low energy given their metro size. The "I can't believe this is it" feeling hits me w/DT Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, (Uptown) Charlotte" every time I'm in one of those places in spite of recent improvements.
That's because downtown isn't really the center of vibrancy in Atlanta, although it's the most classically urban part of the city. But once it truly takes off, it will be something special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Baltimore
Baltimore has a good DT by 1970s standards. A walkable corridor for about 3/4 mile along Pratt between Camden Yards, the Inner Harbor, and Fells Point. But then it falls off dramatically because very bad neighborhoods are just a couple blocks away throughout this area. As a 2010s DT, doesn't compare to Seattle, Portland, or Philly.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Baltimore has to be in the running, potentially till ahead of Seattle on some aspects

Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, have walkable blocks around Deep Ellum, Uptown, Midtown, Rice, but on the whole are exceptionally low energy given their metro size. The "I can't believe this is it" feeling hits me w/DT Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, (Uptown) Charlotte" every time I'm in one of those places in spite of recent improvements.
This is one of the problems I have with those cities in terms of walkability, it's not consistent.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:04 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
This is one of the problems I have with those cities in terms of walkability, it's not consistent.
Same goes for denser polycentric metros like Miami and LA, at least in terms of places to actually walk to/through.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Baltimore has to be in the running, potentially till ahead of Seattle on some aspects
Eh.. the main thing going against Seattle in terms of walkability is the hilly streets (which really aren't that bad)
However, in terms of vibrancy (weekend and workday) Seattle and Baltimore really don't even compare.
I've spent time in both downtowns and Seattle feels significantly more bustling and energized.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Eh.. the main thing going against Seattle in terms of walkability is the hilly streets (which really aren't that bad)
However, in terms of vibrancy (weekend and workday) Seattle and Baltimore really don't even compare.
I've spent time in both downtowns and Seattle feels significantly more bustling and energized.
at peak yes, though Baltimore maintains better walkability moving away the direct core

in the core DT Seattle feels more vibrant today agree but doesn't flow into the next sets of neighborhoods as cohesively

seeing you are from D Baltimore and SD in the DT have a similar vibe/activity level to them and both associate with their waterfronts similarly if that makes sense the Gaslamp is probably more active in times of big conferences as a singular area but in their core DT I think Baltimore and SD have some similarities albeit different constructs

Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
My experience with Baltimore is limited, but it's not a Downtown focused city. Downtown Baltimore wasn't as horrendously urban renewed as some cities, but there's limited commercial activity except in the area right around the Inner Harbor. Not much residential development either. The decision to turn virtually every street in downtown into a wide one-way road also means cars speed through very fast. If you don't spend time in outlying neighborhoods like Fells Point, Federal Hill, or Mt. Vernon, you're not getting the full experience.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:58 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My experience with Baltimore is limited, but it's not a Downtown focused city. Downtown Baltimore wasn't as horrendously urban renewed as some cities, but there's limited commercial activity except in the area right around the Inner Harbor. Not much residential development either. The decision to turn virtually every street in downtown into a wide one-way road also means cars speed through very fast. If you don't spend time in outlying neighborhoods like Fells Point, Federal Hill, or Mt. Vernon, you're not getting the full experience.
Downtown Baltimore is currently adding residential developments at probably the highest clip ever. Not only that, but downtown is also gonna a add more in terms of retail. I'll provide numbers when I find them, but the best estimates are just under 4,000 unit under construction downtown.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Same goes for denser polycentric metros like Miami and LA, at least in terms of places to actually walk to/through.
Miami has walkable neighborhoods to the North and West of Downtown, both connecting. Same with LA, there's consistency throughout the core area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City