Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 04:38 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Royal Oak.

However, I'll take exception to some of the comments about Lakewood. Note especially the apparently very different characters of Lakewood and Royal Oak. Lakewood is highly integrated into Cleveland and is one of the very most densely populated cities between New York and Chicago, even much more densely populated than the city of Cleveland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood,_Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Oak,_Michigan

1) Edgewater Park, since being taken over by the Cleveland Metroparks a few years ago, is a quite stellar park. It is a 147 acres of prime real estate with a good beach, excellent views, and an upper park with awesome views of Cleveland's downtown skyline. It hosts many well-attended events in the summer. Edgewater is connected by direct bus service, as well as the new Cleveland State bus rapid.

http://coastal.ohiodnr.gov/cuyahoga/edgewaterpk

Free Edgewater Live happy hour concert series returns to Cleveland waterfront (2016 schedule) | cleveland.com

RTA adds another Edgewater Park bus line for Saturday rides | WKYC.com

https://clevelandmetroparks.com/park...nt-reservation

Cleveland Metroparks to build new Edgewater Beach House with eatery, shop and elevated walkway | cleveland.com

The Cleveland Metroparks are actually an acclaimed Cuyahoga County (of which Lakewood is part) system of over 21,000 acres of largely nature preserves and nicknamed the "Emerald Necklace."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Metroparks

Cleveland Metroparks system named best in the nation (videos) | cleveland.com

See the Nov. 28 review here written by a visitor from Miami, FL. Edgewater does have a pet beach and is very pet friendly.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...o.html#REVIEWS

Adjacent to Edgewater are a couple marinas and also Wendy Park, which offers superlative views of the Cleveland Harbor, Cleveland skyline and the Cuyahoga River, and is the focus of much investment, including a bike/hiking path to connect the Cuyahoga National Park to Lake Erie.

Our Work - Wendy Park Redesign | LAND studio : landscape | art | neighborhoods | development in Cleveland, OH

Cleveland Metroparks gets nearly $8 million from feds for bike and pedestrian paths | cleveland.com

2) Edgewater Park is in Cleveland, but immediately adjacent to Lakewood and well connected to Lakewood by mass transit. Serving Lakewood more directly is the 31-acre Lakewood Park, although its steep cliff doesn't allow a beach. It is an excellent park with robust recreational amenities and the new Lakefront Promenade.

Parks | The City of Lakewood, Ohio

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...wood_Ohio.html

3) Lakewood also benefits from the excellent 2,600-acre Rocky River Reservation, part of which is in Lakewood, of the Cleveland Metroparks system. The reservation has a good nature center, bridle trails and a stable, among many other amenities.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...o.html#REVIEWS

https://clevelandmetroparks.com/park...er-reservation

Lakewood residents easily can rent kayaks to explore the Rocky River, Cuyahoga River, Cleveland Harbor (an international port), or Lake Erie.

Of course, Lake Erie supports a large recreational boating culture, easily available to Lakewood residents due to surrounding marinas, and Lakewood properties and restaurants (such as the acclaimed Pier W) have boating docks.

4) Lakewood is 18 minutes (10 miles) from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, one of the better zoos in the U.S.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...land_Ohio.html

Vote - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo - Best Zoo Nominee: 2017 10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards

5) Lakewood is well integrated into Cleveland, offering easy access to Cleveland's downtown sporting venues and entertainment/dining districts (which do compete with Lakewood's local restaurants and entertainment offerings. Bus lines as well as the new Cleveland State bus rapid serve Lakewood and connect it with downtown Cleveland.

RTA's Cleveland State Line on Clifton Boulevard set to roll December 8 | cleveland.com

55-A-B-C: Cleveland State Line | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

From Cleveland's Public Square (16 minutes or 7 miles from Lakewood), Lakewood residents can take the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid or the Red Line rail rapid to University Circle, one of the great cultural, educational, and health centers in the U.S. The Cleveland Museum of Art in many ways, especially its physical facilities and Asian art collections, is more stellar than the Detroit Institute of Arts Museum (both are among the best art museums in the U.S.), but Detroit has nothing to compare to the world-renown Cleveland Orchestra and Severance Hall.

Downtown Cleveland offers PlayhouseSquare, one of the best unified theater districts in the U.S. From Public Square, PlayhouseSquare can be reached either by the Healthline bus rapid or free downtown bus trolleys.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Cleveland.html

Lakewood is even closer (12 minutes) to Cleveland's Market District, featuring the acclaimed West Side Market and great breweries/pubs, and the Gordon Square Arts District, 3.7 miles from Lakewood and featuring good restaurants, public theater, and Cleveland's largest artist studio center.

78th Street Studios

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...de.Market.html

6) Although Lakewood very much resembles an integrated neighborhood of Cleveland, it also offers superior cultural amenities of its own, most notably its excellent public library and the acclaimed Beck Center.

Beck Center for the Arts | Lakewood, Ohio

Lakewood also offers the Serpentini Winterhurst Arena, a top competitive ice skating center in Ohio.

Serpentini Arena operated by Ice Land USA

Coaches

Even though Lakewood is very close to major entertainment districts in Cleveland (especially downtown and East and West Flats), it has its own nightlife.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...wood_Ohio.html

Many Lakewood residents especially enjoy Brothers Lounge.

Brother's Lounge

Just a couple of the entertainment venues, both in the East Flats of Cleveland and apart from the likes of PlayhouseSquare and Quicken Loans Arena, within 15 minutes and about 6 miles of Lakewood.

Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica Upcoming Shows in Cleveland, Ohio — Live Nation

Music Box Supper Club

7) Lakewood has a very good restaurant scene, but it is in direct competition with other nearby restaurant centers, including the acclaimed Cleveland downtown restaurants. It was the home of the first Melt Bar & Grilled, a favorite of the cable food channels. Pier W is considered the best lakefront restaurant in Greater Cleveland, with a great Sunday brunch and views of Lake Erie and the Cleveland skyline.

Melt is headquartered in Lakewood, as is the Aladdin's Eatery chain.

Fun Food | A Unique Gourmet Grilled Cheese Restaurant Experience | Melt Bar and Grilled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin%27s_Eatery

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...wood_Ohio.html

8) Lakewood offers a wide range of housing, but relatively affordable compared to other similar locations in the U.S. Condos on Lakewood's Gold Coast are especially inexpensive, partly because of their relatively great number and the booming growth of Cleveland's downtown population and residential living options and of Ohio City, located just across the Cuyahoga River from downtown Cleveland, as a more convenient alternative to Lakewood.

Last edited by WRnative; 03-21-2017 at 05:21 AM..

Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
A population density of 7,500 per square mile isn't that much different than 5,000 per square mile when it comes to lifestyle. If we're talking 20,000 per square mile vs. 5,000 I could see this being a factor, but as it is now even the 50% difference has more to do with the large amounts of green space within the city limits of Royal Oak (Red Run golf course, Oakview cemetery, Detroit Zoo, Wagner Park) than it does urban planning, as nearly all green space in Lakewood is neighborhood parks and larger green spaces along the border are technically in Cleveland, as you point out in your next 3 points.

The major difference in urban planning is in their central commercial areas, where Royal Oak is setup more as an independent city, with a highly-walkable core old-timey "Downtown" area which then later became part of Detroit as the metro grew - kind of like is you plopped Akron right in the middle of the Cleveland metro area. Lakewood is planned in more of of the car-centric "Downtown" strip plan where two streets (Madison and Detroit) have all of the commercial establishments running from end to end - similar to the layouts of Grosse Pointes.

I believe affordability is a big draw to any of the gentrified parts of Midwestern metros. What you get in either town for the price is unheard of in most of the nation. In either town you get high quality schools, low unemployment, gentrified commercial districts, and proximity to big-city amenities like major league sports, museums, zoos, and shopping. I will say one area where I believe Royal Oak has a distinct advantage is income. Royal Oak has a median household income of $68,256, vs. Lakewood which has a median household income of $46,546; however, Royal Oak is also more expensive to live in than Lakewood with average property values of $202,000 vs. $134,000. And based on having recently shopped for homes in Royal Oak, I can assure you that the average property value is most definitely not $202,000 - I'd estimate it to be more in the $300,000 range, but having just done a quick scan of Lakewood, it appears a typical home there now sells for about $175,000 - but hey, this is a good thing right? It means the Midwest is cool again?

Seriously, rather than comparing these two cities to each other - I think they should be compared to their coastal counterparts like Bethesda, MD, Hempstead, NY or Pasadena, CA - where you'd need to earn $150,000 to have the same quality of life that you could have in Royal Oak or Lakewood for $70,000 a year. Are the coastal counterparts nicer? In some ways, yes, but they are unattainable for your typical family and for those who can afford they they almost certainly require two incomes - where any college graduate can afford the two Midwestern towns off one income, or live a life of relative privilege off two.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
A population density of 7,500 per square mile isn't that much different than 5,000 per square mile when it comes to lifestyle.
According to the Wikipedia article, the density of Lakewood is 9,427/sq mile vs. 4,855/sq. mile for Royal Oak, almost twice as much. Despite your efforts to equivocate about the difference, this is a meaningful difference, probably reflecting Lakewood's densely packed, high-rise Gold Coast as much as anything. E.g., Lakewood apparently has a robust mass transit foot print compared to Royal Oak, resulting in meaningful differences in lifestyles.

Quote:
If we're talking 20,000 per square mile vs. 5,000 I could see this being a factor, but as it is now even the 50% difference has more to do with the large amounts of green space within the city limits of Royal Oak (Red Run golf course, Oakview cemetery, Detroit Zoo, Wagner Park) than it does urban planning, as nearly all green space in Lakewood is neighborhood parks.
Royal Oak has almost twice the land area of Lakewood. Speculating about the percentage of each city that is in open areas is ridiculous, because it likely doesn't account for much of the density difference, let alone 50 percent of the difference as claimed by you, especially given the presence of the likes of Lakewood Park and the Rocky River Reservation in Lakewood.

Lakewood Park is a municipal park and Rocky River Reservation is a county park. And actually, green space in neighborhood parks affects density every bit as much as does a cemetery or a zoo, and is actually more valuable green space.

You are simply guessing with this argument despite your factual assertion, which I suspect is grossly inaccurate.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Home values

Here are zillow.com home values for Lakewood ($150,000) and Royal Oak ($215,000)

https://www.zillow.com/lakewood-oh/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/royal-oak-mi/home-values/

Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ta...941664,2670040

Here is the side by side comparison of the two from the census bureau.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:52 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:

Seriously, rather than comparing these two cities to each other - I think they should be compared to their coastal counterparts like Bethesda, MD, Hempstead, NY or Pasadena, CA - where you'd need to earn $150,000 to have the same quality of life that you could have in Royal Oak or Lakewood for $70,000 a year. Are the coastal counterparts nicer? In some ways, yes, but they are unattainable for your typical family and for those who can afford they they almost certainly require two incomes - where any college graduate can afford the two Midwestern towns off one income, or live a life of relative privilege off two.
I think of Lakewood as pretty similar (in many, but not all) ways to Somerville, MA. Not a "subruban" suburb but actually containing some of the best city life in the region. Attractive to young people as well as families. Lots going on. Located just slightly outside the dominant city. However, look at this:

Lakewood
Median home price: $150,100 (Zillow)
Median household income: $45,408 (Median family income, household income for each Ohio city; census estimates | cleveland.com)

Somerville
Median home price: $674,900
Median household income: $53,657. (Median Household Income in Somerville: Latest Census Data - Somerville, MA Patch)

Wow.

So the median income in Lakewood about 30% of the cost of the median home.

In Somerville, that stat would be 8%. So Lakewood is basically 3-4 times more affordable than Somerville.

The Midwest is waiting to be discovered by miserable coasties.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
According to the Wikipedia article, the density of Lakewood is 9,427/sq mile vs. 4,855/sq. mile for Royal Oak, almost twice as much. Despite your efforts to equivocate about the difference, this is a meaningful difference, probably reflecting Lakewood's densely packed, high-rise Gold Coast as much as anything. E.g., Lakewood apparently has a robust mass transit foot print compared to Royal Oak, resulting in meaningful differences in lifestyles.
59,008 people/11.79 sq.mi.= 5,004 people per square mile
50,656 people/6.69 sq.mi.= 7,571 people per square mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Royal Oak has almost twice the land area of Lakewood. Speculating about the percentage of each city that is in open areas is ridiculous, because it likely doesn't account for much of the density difference, let alone 50 percent of the difference as claimed by you, especially given the presence of the likes of Lakewood Park and the Rocky River Reservation in Lakewood.

Lakewood Park is a municipal park and Rocky River Reservation is a county park. And actually, green space in neighborhood parks affects density every bit as much as does a cemetery or a zoo, and is actually more valuable green space.

You are simply guessing with this argument despite your factual assertion, which I suspect is grossly inaccurate.
It sounds like somebody needs a tickle party... But since I can tell you need to hear this: You're right. The aggregation of 50 neighborhood parks, 2 reserves, the golf course, the cemetery, and the portion of the zoo within city limits come out to roughly about 1.4 square miles of green space, which would still indicate a lower population density, though certainly not a significantly different lifestyle as we're comparing two moderately dense inner-ring suburbs, not downtown core to inner-ring suburb or inner-ring suburb to outer-ring sprawl, but yes - Lakewood has a high density of population, especially by Midwestern standards. It is nearly as dense as Hamtramck (10,700/sq.mi), which I will admit does have a different feel than Royal Oak, largely due to the lack of driveways between homes and nearly complete lack of green space; however, Hamtramck isn't exactly gentrified as the other two, but I like its chances over the next decade or two

__________________________________________________ _________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think of Lakewood as pretty similar (in many, but not all) ways to Somerville, MA. Not a "subruban" suburb but actually containing some of the best city life in the region. Attractive to young people as well as families. Lots going on. Located just slightly outside the dominant city. However, look at this:

Lakewood
Median home price: $150,100 (Zillow)
Median household income: $45,408 (Median family income, household income for each Ohio city; census estimates | cleveland.com)

Somerville
Median home price: $674,900
Median household income: $53,657. (Median Household Income in Somerville: Latest Census Data - Somerville, MA Patch)

Wow.

So the median income in Lakewood about 30% of the cost of the median home.

In Somerville, that stat would be 8%. So Lakewood is basically 3-4 times more affordable than Somerville.

The Midwest is waiting to be discovered by miserable coasties.
Exactly! This is what I've been trying to tell friends/family who live in LA when they roll their eyes at my Midwestern..ness.., but yikes - you try and convince someone that moving to moderately upscale parts of suburban Cleveland or Detroit is a financially smart thing to do and see how hard they roll their eyes to that. Compare Royal Oak where median household income is actually about 30% higher ($68,256) than it is in Somerville, and then things really start to look confusing. And the thing is, this real estate comparison isn't even taking into account how much it costs me to go out to eat or find recreation. I can go out for fancy-pants patio dining with my wife, get an appetizer to share and each get a cocktail and main course, and we'll spend $40-45 including a 20% tip. Our family's annual zoo membership? $60. Annual art museum membership? Included with taxes. Decent tickets to a Tigers game? $25/each. If I want to take the kids? Tickets to a minor-leaugh Utica Unicorns game run me $7.

Last edited by Geo-Aggie; 03-21-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 01:24 PM

93,180 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Lakewood is 5.53 square miles of land.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
This may have been covered, but why are the residential blocks so long in Lakewood? The blocks south of Detroit Rd., and west of Hilliard should have a street bisecting them. Why wasn't Franklin ever extended through the neighborhood? Seems weird.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
This may have been covered, but why are the residential blocks so long in Lakewood? The blocks south of Detroit Rd., and west of Hilliard should have a street bisecting them. Why wasn't Franklin ever extended through the neighborhood? Seems weird.
I couldn't agree with you more. It's the one thing that I don't like about Lakewood. Taking a walk around the block can take 45 minutes. That and the fact that the street names are different on opposite sides of Detroit.

It was very confusing when I first moved here and was trying to look for the street I got on the bus to get off again on the return trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City