Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sports Mecca of North America
New York City 35 27.34%
Los Angeles 22 17.19%
Chicago 35 27.34%
Houston 4 3.13%
Miami 5 3.91%
Toronto 0 0%
Dallas 15 11.72%
San Francisco Bay 4 3.13%
Tampa 2 1.56%
Atlanta 6 4.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:54 PM

43 posts, read 34,412 times

Advertisements

Odd that you pick Detroit considering Hockeytown was a self-proclaimed moniker the Red Wings used for marketing.

Buffalo or Minneapolis are better picks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 09:23 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMtoPM View Post
Boston produces hockey talent, and Philadelphia produces basketball talent (boxing as well).

However, Boston's days of producing elite hockey talent is gone buddy. Eichel isn't from Boston.

Boston and Philadelphia however, are the top two cities for rowing (Schuylkill, Charles two best rivers).

Philadelphia actually does sell out, which I hate to say because I hate Philadelphia sports teams and their fans, but you have to give credit for their passion. The Eagles and Flyers have sold out pretty much their entire history. The 76ers have sucked the last decade, but not college. Philadelphia has the Palestra, Villanova defending champs and produces a very high number of college and pro basketball players. Among the highest there is. It's also got the richest history for boxing of any city. The current best MLB player is from Philly area and a Phillies fan (Mike Trout).

Cases can be made for both cities. Lots of history and tradition. You can't deny that attendance in Boston has been a blackeye on the sports landscape however. The Red Sox own Boston over every team. Even the Patriots. You and I both know New England is not big on football even with the Patriots success. Celtics and Bruins are also niche teams. The Red Sox absolutely own Boston and New England before any other team.

Philadelphia would be football and boxing. They love their tough sports. Maybe that's why the Flyers are also extremely popular. Those three sports are tough, gritty contact sports with big blue collar followings.

I believe you also used Twitter followers one time, which was hilarious. Here is some logic for you. The 76ers have more followers than the Phillies do. Who do you really think is more popular?
several b-ball players are from the boston area.

since the sox broke the curse they have owned boston.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:39 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Odd that you pick Detroit considering Hockeytown was a self-proclaimed moniker the Red Wings used for marketing.

Buffalo or Minneapolis are better picks.
St Paul is the center of Minnesota's hockey world. Minneapolis has hockey fans too but it also has a lot of transplants from non-hockey parts of the country.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
how are Boston, Philly and even Pittsburgh not on this list and others are?

is this made by a non sports fan?

Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Boston produces hockey talent, and Philadelphia produces basketball talent (boxing as well).

However, Boston's days of producing elite hockey talent is gone buddy. Eichel isn't from Boston.

Boston and Philadelphia however, are the top two cities for rowing (Schuylkill, Charles two best rivers).

Philadelphia actually does sell out, which I hate to say because I hate Philadelphia sports teams and their fans, but you have to give credit for their passion. The Eagles and Flyers have sold out pretty much their entire history. The 76ers have sucked the last decade, but not college. Philadelphia has the Palestra, Villanova defending champs and produces a very high number of college and pro basketball players. Among the highest there is. It's also got the richest history for boxing of any city. The current best MLB player is from Philly area and a Phillies fan (Mike Trout).

Cases can be made for both cities. Lots of history and tradition. You can't deny that attendance in Boston has been a blackeye on the sports landscape however. The Red Sox own Boston over every team. Even the Patriots. You and I both know New England is not big on football even with the Patriots success. Celtics and Bruins are also niche teams. The Red Sox absolutely own Boston and New England before any other team.

Philadelphia would be football and boxing. They love their tough sports. Maybe that's why the Flyers are also extremely popular. Those three sports are tough, gritty contact sports with big blue collar followings.

I believe you also used Twitter followers one time, which was hilarious. Here is some logic for you. The 76ers have more followers than the Phillies do. Who do you really think is more popular?

I like your fervor

end of the day no matter how you feel, who you like or whatever there is no denying both Boston and Philly are great sports cities. Tradition and passion and nearly all can speak to some detail and have an opinion. Plus you have to remember these are places that generations of fans passed down and bred from very young ages with a passion. Its like a religion passed down and that plays out in the feelings and no matter what an underlying care of the populous, especially those bred from multiple generations in those places

most other cities just frankly don't have this, maybe in the future but it takes time

Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I like your fervor

end of the day no matter how you feel, who you like or whatever there is no denying both Boston and Philly are great sports cities. Tradition and passion and nearly all can speak to some detail and have an opinion. Plus you have to remember these are places that generations of fans passed down and bred from very young ages with a passion. Its like a religion passed down and that plays out in the feelings and no matter what an underlying care of the populous, especially those bred from multiple generations in those places

most other cities just frankly don't have this, maybe in the future but it takes time
Nashville has quite the hockey fandom culture, as someone who frequents college rinks, it has a college hockey on steroids (most college rinks are <8000) feel to their games, with the whole "you suck", "Its all your fault" its "Sieve" chants, and this is for a team that has never even made a conference final.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:33 PM

43 posts, read 34,412 times
Boston is certainly without question a top sports town. I just absolutely disagree that it's the mecca. It's not any better than Philadelphia or Chicago.

Nobody would be saying it's the mecca before 2000, would they? I remember how quiet the scene was before they started winning so much.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
There's no way Boston is a mecca. It's a great pro sports town to be sure but that's not always the product of the city. Teams relocate, talent is acquired from all over the world, and the front office and sometimes ownership come from elsewhere. I'm looking at this from various angles. A true sports mecca excels in pro sports, amateur sports, and all levels you can think of. Does the city produce talent as well? does the population participate in the sports rather than just spectate? Is the city positioned to be a great host city for every event, in regards to climate, topography and infrastructure? Fandom is important too of course, that's what allows the sports to thrive.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:01 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
There's no way Boston is a mecca. It's a great pro sports town to be sure but that's not always the product of the city. Teams relocate, talent is acquired from all over the world, and the front office and sometimes ownership come from elsewhere. I'm looking at this from various angles. A true sports mecca excels in pro sports, amateur sports, and all levels you can think of. Does the city produce talent as well? does the population participate in the sports rather than just spectate? Is the city positioned to be a great host city for every event, in regards to climate, topography and infrastructure? Fandom is important too of course, that's what allows the sports to thrive.
If this is the criteria, half the cities you listed don't belong and Boston/Philly do.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
If this is the criteria, half the cities you listed don't belong and Boston/Philly do.
Ok then. What does Philly and Boston do well in other than pro sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City