Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sports Mecca of North America
New York City 35 27.34%
Los Angeles 22 17.19%
Chicago 35 27.34%
Houston 4 3.13%
Miami 5 3.91%
Toronto 0 0%
Dallas 15 11.72%
San Francisco Bay 4 3.13%
Tampa 2 1.56%
Atlanta 6 4.69%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not really touchy touchy. It's like asking "Who is the US Film Mecca" and listing:

Kansas City
Rochester NY
Detroit
Providence RI
Anchorage AK

And then when people argue for pages and pages that Los Angeles, NYC, and other more prominent cities should be on there, you dismiss it as not meeting the criteria. It's just kind of strange as there's no good reason the other teams listed should be included in the first place...
That's not even close to the same thing. Sports is different in the sense that any large enough city can have pro sports, college programs, sports infrastructure, and just about anyone can participate in sports for little to no money. Sports can more easily become part of the city's culture.

Not the case for film. Sure, anyone can film something, but only a handful of cities have the infrastructure. It would be a hell of a lot easier to create a list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 04:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Touchy touchy. Ok then guys. Rename your top 10 all-around sports cities in all of north America then. Since this list is such an issue, I want to see what you experts know.

top ten in no order

Boston
NYC
Philly
Chicago
LA
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
SF
Dallas
then am torn
Maybe DC or a Seattle or Denver (I have trouble with non all 4 major sports cities but I did include Cleveland and Pittsburgh so I guess there is precedence)

Old 04-03-2017, 06:01 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Los Angeles.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
That's not even close to the same thing. Sports is different in the sense that any large enough city can have pro sports, college programs, sports infrastructure, and just about anyone can participate in sports for little to no money. Sports can more easily become part of the city's culture.

Not the case for film. Sure, anyone can film something, but only a handful of cities have the infrastructure. It would be a hell of a lot easier to create a list.
Nonsense. It's very similar. Do you really think that Tampa has sports in its culture more than Boston or Philadelphia? And there are plenty of places that have a strong culture of art. Independent studios, artists or actors feed into the larger industry from all over the country. Regardless, I think you get the point.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,708 times
Who in the world voted for Tampa?!?! At least on a professional level, Florida is one of the worst sports locales in the country. It's a state of transplants where many residents retain allegiances to pro teams elsewhere. Miami, Toronto, and Atlanta are all bad options.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
I would say Chicago and Boston for pro sports.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:

i got the sense in fallout 4, bethesda went out the way to include sports into the archaeological history of boston (especially baseball because the sox are king). there are several artifacts (baseball bats, balls, bases, gloves, backboard rims, ...) strewn about the landscape; side missions where you have to retrieve sports memorabilia; ...
kinda' like in l.a. noire you would be on the chase for random movie props.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
top ten in no order

Boston
NYC
Philly
Chicago
LA
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
SF
Dallas
then am torn
Maybe DC or a Seattle or Denver (I have trouble with non all 4 major sports cities but I did include Cleveland and Pittsburgh so I guess there is precedence)
and then Detroit after all of them??

Old 04-05-2017, 10:25 AM

43 posts, read 34,406 times
1) Why does the fact that Los Angeles has 9 titles in 16 years fly under the radar?

Boston only has one more than LA does, and it's more commonly answered.

What's with the bias?

2) The times I've visited each city (multiple times), I've seen more locals wearing gear in Philadelphia, Buffalo and Cleveland than Boston. Seriously.

When I was in Philly last year, I saw a lot of people wearing Sixers stuff, and they're historically bad and haven't been relevant in years.

Boston benefits from mass amounts of exposure from winning so much. It covers up a lot of holes in the sports history there. It's really no better than the other sports towns. Top 5 at best, top 10 at worst.

Do your research people. I even live within four hours of Montreal, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Buffalo etc.

I didn't see anyone wearing Celtics or Bruins stuff until after their championships. It's weird. I see my fair share of Eagles and Flyers fans, and those teams haven't won in decades.

I really want to squash this notion that Boston is the be-all end-all of sports. How short is everyone's memory here? If this were 1999 would Boston be remotely close to anyone's sports radar?

Last edited by AMtoPM; 04-05-2017 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
and then Detroit after all of them??

actually Detroit may well be in the top 10; my oversight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City