Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better and more nightlife?
Chicago 99 86.09%
Dallas 13 11.30%
They are the same 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:00 AM

307 posts, read 330,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I think the key to this is how vibrant those nightlife districts are and how large. The nightlife districts in Lakeview, River North, and Wicker Park are about 10 blocks large and very very very vibrant.

Walk around North/Damen/Milwaukee intersection at 2:30am on a summer Saturday night, and you would think it's rush hour. People everywhere on the streets, lots of people sitting on the curb eating, others going from bar to bar, some going home, others just arriving. I would say then that Lakeview and River North have that on an even bigger scale. Lincoln Park and Logan Square's nightlife districts aren't far behind.

My point is Dallas might have a few nightlife districts, but are they vibrant? I would even say Las Vegas nightlife isn't as vibrant. The only nightlife districts that I truly find are large and vibrant are the ones in NYC, Chicago, Miami (south beach).

Other cities have vibrant districts too (DC, SF, LA, etc) but on a much much smaller scale.

People from Chicago are always saying how "vibrant" the nightlife is there. Do you have even just one single video of the things you describe? I've been there two times, once in the summer and once when it was like 35 degrees. I've been taken to the most "vibrant" nightlife spots each time by my cousin and they are nothing compared to the size and concentration of the nightlife going on in NYC and Miami. Once again i ask you to post just one video of how busy the streets are as you described​. The video I posted below is literally the most nightlife for Chicago I was able to find. I can only imagine how "vibrant" the nightlife is when it's cold.

https://youtu.be/pqrkwTAitZ0

Here are some videos of Miami's nightlife below so people are able to see the massive difference between both cities nightlife. These are three totally separate areas and they make up just a small section of the nightlife of South Beach. There are more areas like this all over the island. I'm not even going to bother posting all the other nightlife areas around Miami, let alone the whole metro area, because these three videos alone blow Chicago's nightlife away by themselves. Keep in mind that it's like this year round since it does not get cold there. I have also seen it much, much busier than this many times. These are old videos, the last few years it has become much busier. If anyone has any videos of Chicago's nightlife foot traffic, please feel free to post.

https://youtu.be/AjwywO_NOyA

The video below has crazy foot traffic, and the whole area is like this every Friday and Saturday.

https://youtu.be/FCqX0-zn_d8

Espanola Way

https://youtu.be/P1E0HW8q7p4

Last edited by pinytr; 04-05-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
One thing I noticed on this board is that ppl love to throw shade at Texas/Texans.
Cuz Texas Sux lol , I dont get it, don't see the big deal about it except cheap and jobs

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 04-05-2017 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Cuz Texas Sux lol , I dont get it, don't see the big deal about it except cheap and jobs
They have grammar schools there too.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
People from Chicago are always saying how "vibrant" the nightlife is there. Do you have even just one single video of the things you describe? I've been there two times, once in the summer and once when it was like 35 degrees. I've been taken to the most "vibrant" nightlife spots each time by my cousin and they are nothing compared to the size and concentration of the nightlife going on in NYC and Miami. Once again i ask you to post just one video of how busy the streets are as you described​. The video I posted below is literally the most nightlife for Chicago I was able to find. I can only imagine how "vibrant" the nightlife is when it's cold.
You can start a --- >Miami or Miami Beach vs. Chicago nightlife thread if you want? Just realize Miami Beach is its own city.

I will just say that Chicago is a varied party scene. No one should doubt it does not have examples of virtually any party scene you want.

Miami Beach is its own city and RESORT recognized in the world as a resort city. There are other RESORT cities in the world to pit it up against.

Miami Beach -

Miami Beach is a small city in the state of Florida that is a resort city in reality. It is one of the barrier islands that are situated between Biscayne Bay and Atlantic Ocean. In fact, it is the Biscayne Bay that creates the barrier between the Miami City and the Miami Beach. This is a municipality in itself that has a small population of around a hundred thousand only. This resort city is a major tourist destination for all those coming over to the state of Florida

Miami -

Miami is a large city in Florida and lies in the southeastern part of the country on the coast of Atlantic Ocean. It is one of the most populous and also one of the cleanest cities in the entire country. Miami has more than 50% population of Latin American roots with whites being in a minority in this city. This is also the reason why Spanish is the language one encounters more often than English in Miami Metropolitan Area. There are lots of places of tourist attraction in this large coastal city that include recreation parks, zoo, Star Island, Everglades, and so on, but beaches remain the primary attraction of this coastal city

• Miami Beach is not a part of the city of Miami.
• Miami Beach is a municipality that lies in the form of barrier islands between the Biscayne Bay and the city of Miami.
• Miami is a very large city, whereas Miami Beach is a small resort city.
• Miami Beach has a population of only a hundred thousand whereas Miami City has a huge population of nearly half a million.
• Properties in Miami are cheaper than properties in Miami Beach.
• Miami Beach is frequented by celebrities.
• Miami Beach is a beach town whereas Miami is a coastal city.

* Your videos - ARE NOT MIAMI THE CITY

Lincoln Road ------>South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida

Espanola Way ----> South Beach, Miami Beach, Florida

Chicago has its winters. More goes indoors then not. But the city MAKES UP FOR IT IN SUMMER.

They might go to Miami or Miami Beach in winter. But have PLENTY to keep them active late Spring thru Fall.

Chicago CAN TAKE ON A COASTAL RESORT CITY ATTRIBUTES IN SUMMER.

• Navy Pier
• downtown Beaches and Harbors to its whole shoreline.
• nothing fake or make-believe od superficial in this city
• Millennium/Grant/Maggie Daley Parks are the city's playground filled with tourist free concerts and attractions for adults to Children.
• Lake Michigan becomes as a Ocean with the look and attractions ON IT as one.
• Chicago looks and appears like a COASTAL CITY on the ground or from the air.
• the massive Lake takes on the hues of the south Florida ocean

Chicago has the Lake to Party on too. Boat Parties pop up in the PLAY PEN section of the lake downtown all summer long. Some huge ones planned to smaller ones merely by socio media quick plans. The city overlooks most as long as in the Play Pen though ether not as they are BOOZE PARTIES.

Some VIDEO'S OF SOME OF ITS BOAT PARTIES. Private yachts and Booze cruises rentals can be found online. Even on the River.
Just one of many though the city tries to crush them. One ends up the largest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOFve0RuMI

Yacht Party Chicago | www.YachtPartyChicago.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3G1...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GejPDTldfLM

Hollywood Beach Chicago North of downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXAFPQoLAs

- North Av Beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

- OAK ST BEACH DOWNTOWN CHICAGO - IN MAY W/Tiki Bar re-assembly not competed YET
But decent weather has people on da beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaeIPn0N3Q

- Ohio St beach by Navy Pier downtown short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TOr4NAOTto

Old 04-05-2017, 08:05 PM

307 posts, read 330,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
You can start a --- >Miami or Miami Beach vs. Chicago nightlife thread if you want? Just realize Miami Beach is its own city.

I will just say that Chicago is a varied party scene. No one should doubt it does not have examples of virtually any party scene you want.

Miami Beach is its own city and RESORT recognized in the world as a resort city. There are other RESORT cities in the world to pit it up against.

Miami Beach -

Miami Beach is a small city in the state of Florida that is a resort city in reality. It is one of the barrier islands that are situated between Biscayne Bay and Atlantic Ocean. In fact, it is the Biscayne Bay that creates the barrier between the Miami City and the Miami Beach. This is a municipality in itself that has a small population of around a hundred thousand only. This resort city is a major tourist destination for all those coming over to the state of Florida

Miami -

Miami is a large city in Florida and lies in the southeastern part of the country on the coast of Atlantic Ocean. It is one of the most populous and also one of the cleanest cities in the entire country. Miami has more than 50% population of Latin American roots with whites being in a minority in this city. This is also the reason why Spanish is the language one encounters more often than English in Miami Metropolitan Area. There are lots of places of tourist attraction in this large coastal city that include recreation parks, zoo, Star Island, Everglades, and so on, but beaches remain the primary attraction of this coastal city

• Miami Beach is not a part of the city of Miami.
• Miami Beach is a municipality that lies in the form of barrier islands between the Biscayne Bay and the city of Miami.
• Miami is a very large city, whereas Miami Beach is a small resort city.
• Miami Beach has a population of only a hundred thousand whereas Miami City has a huge population of nearly half a million.
• Properties in Miami are cheaper than properties in Miami Beach.
• Miami Beach is frequented by celebrities.
• Miami Beach is a beach town whereas Miami is a coastal city.

There are a few things I wanted to say about this post. This will be my last off topic post in this thread, but some things I just had to address. First off, you keep mentioning that Miami and Miami Beach are separate cities. Do you really think anyone on here doesn't know that, let alone me? To try to say that South Beach shouldn't be included when talking about Miami's nightlife is just crazy. It's like saying West Hollywood shouldn't be included when talking about L.A.'s nightlife. Miami Beach is only a couple miles east of Miami, right across Biscayne Bay. I actually didn't include any nightlife areas in Miami city proper in my videos just because I knew someone would say something. I was talking just about South Beach, just like the person i responded to was.

You also keep mentioning that Miami Beach is a "resort" city. What does that even mean? Just because it recieves a lot of tourists it's considered a resort city? It really doesn't matter because it has no bearing on my original point, which was asking for any videos of Chicago's so called "vibrant" nightlife. The person I was originally responding to said it gets very very very vibrant at night. I was just asking for any proof of that anywhere on the entire internet, video preferably.

I still stand by my point being that South Beach gets much much much more dense nighttime foot traffic and vibrancy than anywhere in the entire Chicago metro. If anyone has any videos of dense nighttime foot traffic and vibrancy anywhere in the Chicago metro area, please post them. I posted three videos earlier today that showed the foot traffic and vibrancy of South Beach at night. Someone please post a video that comes anywhere close to the ones i posted and prove me wrong.

Miami-Dade County might be 65 percent Hispanic, but Miami-Dade County represents less than half the entire population of the South Florida metro area. Miami-Dade County has a population of 2.6 million. Broward County has 1.8 million and Palm Beach County has 1.4 million. When taking all three counties into consideration the South Florida metro is only 35 percent Hispanic. I posted all sources below.

To say that one encounters Spanish more than English when taking into account the entire South Florida metro area is just flat out wrong and very misleading. For a tourist that never ventures out of Miami city proper or Hialeah then yea I might see where your coming from. They have no reason to speak English to the tourists, even though a lot of them know English and Spanish. Those two cities only account for 600k people out of 6 million in South Florida.

The census.gov source i posted below shows that only 1.2 million people out of 5.4 million speak English less than "very well" throughout South Florida. In comparison, the numbers for the Houston metro are 900k out of 5.5 million, not that much different from the Miami metro numbers. That number only takes into account people over the age of 5. If it included people under the age of 5 that number would be a lot different, since most under 5 know English. Every day that goes by more and more people learn and speak English only, and that rate is compounding fast. It's just the natural progression of immigrant populations. When first generation immigrants have children they usually learn the native language. Personally it doesn't matter to me if anyone speaks English or not. The Spanish speaking population is one of the reasons why I like Miami.

I didn't mean to get this thread off topic, I was only asking for a video of Chicago's vibrant nightlife. If anyone has any dense foot traffic videos at night, please post them. I could not find even a single video for Chicago, at the same time finding over a hundred for Miami. Once again here are only three of them below, the first one a new addition.

https://youtu.be/PQJLGYR19uU

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ng-tables.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area

Last edited by pinytr; 04-05-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
There are a few things I wanted to say about this post. This will be my last off topic post in this thread, but some things I just had to address. First off, you keep mentioning that Miami and Miami Beach are separate cities. Do you really think anyone on here doesn't know that, let alone me? To try to say that South Beach shouldn't be included when talking about Miami's nightlife is just crazy. It's like saying West Hollywood shouldn't be included when talking about L.A.'s nightlife. Miami Beach is only a couple miles east of Miami, right across Biscayne Bay. I actually didn't include any nightlife areas in Miami city proper in my videos just because I knew someone would say something. I was talking just about South Beach, just like the person i responded to was.

You also keep mentioning that Miami Beach is a "resort" city. What does that even mean? Just because it recieves a lot of tourists it's considered a resort city? It really doesn't matter because it has no bearing on my original point, which was asking for any videos of Chicago's so called "vibrant" nightlife. The person I was originally responding to said it gets very very very vibrant at night. I was just asking for any proof of that anywhere on the entire internet, video preferably.

I still stand by my point being that South Beach gets much much much more dense nighttime foot traffic and vibrancy than anywhere in the entire Chicago metro.
If anyone has any videos of dense nighttime foot traffic and vibrancy anywhere in the Chicago metro area, please post them. I posted three videos earlier today that showed the foot traffic and vibrancy of South Beach at night. Someone please post a video that comes anywhere close to the ones I posted and prove me wrong.
Since you don't take PM messages:

Your best bet for ---- whatever your looking for is ----> to start a new Miami vs Chicago nightlife thread. If you want Miami Beach included then metros.
Or in the Chicago forum a thread seeking where, what varieties of nightlife the city has, and ASK THAT POURS INTO THE STREETS Maybe? I don't expect it to be ALL NIGHT BEACH PARTIES IN CHICAGO. It's beaches are NOT RESORTS. They offer a lot.... BUT IN DAYTIME.

-- Wikipedia definition AND EXAMPLES of RESORT TOWNS/CITIES.

Miami Beach is a coastal resort city in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. It was incorporated on March 26, 1915

A resort town, often called a resort city or resort destination, is an urban area where *tourism or vacationing is the primary component of the local culture and economy. A typical resort town has one or more actual resorts in the surrounding area. Sometimes the term resort town is used simply for a locale popular among tourists. *The term can also refer to either an incorporated or unincorporated contiguous area where the ratio of transient rooms, measured in bed units, is greater than 60% of the permanent population.

Generally, *tourism is the main export in a resort town economy, with most residents of the area working in the tourism or resort industry. Shops and luxury boutiques selling locally themed souvenirs, motels, and unique restaurants often proliferate the downtown areas of a resort town.

The LIST...

United States Aspen
Atlantic City
Biloxi, Mississippi
Branson, Missouri
Coronado, California
Fire Island, New York
Galveston, Texas
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
Gulf Shores, Alabama
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Kemah, Texas
La Quinta, California
Lake Delton, Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Miami Beach, Florida
Myrtle Beach
Niagara Falls, New York
Ocean City, Maryland
Orlando, Florida
Palm Springs, California
Panama City Beach, Florida
Park City, Utah
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Reno
Sevierville, Tennessee
South Padre Island, Texas
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin

Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:

I still stand by my point being that South Beach gets much much much more dense nighttime foot traffic and vibrancy than anywhere in the entire Chicago metro. If anyone has any videos of dense nighttime foot traffic and vibrancy anywhere in the Chicago metro area, please post them. I posted three videos earlier today that showed the foot traffic and vibrancy of South Beach at night. Someone please post a video that comes anywhere close to the ones i posted and prove me wrong.

Miami-Dade County might be 65 percent Hispanic, but Miami-Dade County represents less than half the entire population of the South Florida metro area. Miami-Dade County has a population of 2.6 million. Broward County has 1.8 million and Palm Beach County has 1.4 million. When taking all three counties into consideration the South Florida metro is only 35 percent Hispanic. I posted all sources below.

To say that one encounters Spanish more than English when taking into account the entire South Florida metro area is just flat out wrong and very misleading. For a tourist that never ventures out of Miami city proper or Hialeah then yea I might see where your coming from. They have no reason to speak English to the tourists, even though a lot of them know English and Spanish. Those two cities only account for 600k people out of 6 million in South Florida.

The census.gov source i posted below shows that only 1.2 million people out of 5.4 million speak English less than "very well" throughout South Florida. In comparison, the numbers for the Houston metro are 900k out of 5.5 million, not that much different from the Miami metro numbers. That number only takes into account people over the age of 5. If it included people under the age of 5 that number would be a lot different, since most under 5 know English. Every day that goes by more and more people learn and speak English only, and that rate is compounding fast. It's just the natural progression of immigrant populations. When first generation immigrants have children they usually learn the native language. Personally it doesn't matter to me if anyone speaks English or not. The Spanish speaking population is one of the reasons why I like Miami.

I didn't mean to get this thread off topic, I was only asking for a video of Chicago's vibrant nightlife. If anyone has any dense foot traffic videos at night, please post them. I could not find even a single video for Chicago, at the same time finding over a hundred for Miami. Once again here are only three of them below, the first one a new addition.

https://youtu.be/PQJLGYR19uU

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2...ng-tables.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area
DavePa (Steeps, etc) is infatuated with Chicago, and literally spends his whole days/nights/weekends on City Data writing pages about how it is at the top in any topic. So take what he says with a grain of salt........

Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Yet Nashville seems to constantly be on Austin's nuts.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
I don't see the big deal about Sumner County, TN either. What's amazing about Nashville's nightlife? It's may be more vibrant than Fort Worth's but definitely not Dallas's or Austin's.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
My point is Dallas might have a few nightlife districts, but are they vibrant? I would even say Las Vegas nightlife isn't as vibrant. The only nightlife districts that I truly find are large and vibrant are the ones in NYC, Chicago, Miami (south beach).

Other cities have vibrant districts too (DC, SF, LA, etc) but on a much much smaller scale.
Dallas's would be more like the latter on a smaller scale. When you have packed bars & clubs, variety of options, and busy streets, what would you call it? Not vibrant? I guess if you're using Chicago as your measuring stick, then most cities wouldn't have vibrant nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City