Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has better and more nightlife?
Chicago 99 86.09%
Dallas 13 11.30%
They are the same 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesifra View Post
Yes for nightlife Chicago is ahead, but let us face it Chicago is overrated. DFW is a much better metro and Dallas is growing at 4 times the rate of Chicago. The suburbs of DFW Such as McKinney, Frisco, Plano, Heath, Southlake, Westlake, Fairview, etc are way way better than Chicagoland could ever dream to have. Chicago is old news. No comparison Dallas is better, has less crimes, less unemployment, lower costs of living, nicer neighborhoods In Dallas, lot of jobs, more better sports environment, more airports, better place for business. Dallas is a better place for shopping, more restaurants in Dallas at least per capita. Dallas is way better, people are fleeing Chicago and massively moving to Dallas. Better Roads and Highways, better infrastructure in Dallas. Chicago is as a city is going bankrupt and high taxes in Chicago, better schools in Dallas, gas price is lower in Dallas and you can afford a much nicer house in Dallas. My vote is for Dallas chicago has more festivals, but I do not go to festivals that often. In Dallas I get to keep more money in my pocket because in 2016 the median salary in Dallas is higher than Chitown for lower cost of living. Stop the madness and deal with real numbers and you will understand Dallas is a way better place. The weather is a little bit better in Dallas than in Chicago.
I spit my coffee out laughing at this ridiculous post. Now I need to go gather some paper towels to soak up the mess from off my monitors. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:12 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
This is an embarrassing comparison.

Uptown? Deep Ellum? Those two neighborhoods alone wouldn't even beat Wicker Park in a silo. Lakeview, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Logan Square, River North, Hubbard St, Wrigleyville... The list goes on, and on, and on.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Yes for nightlife Chicago is ahead, but let us face it Chicago is overrated. DFW is a much better metro and Dallas is growing at 4 times the rate of Chicago. The suburbs of DFW Such as McKinney, Frisco, Plano, Heath, Southlake, Westlake, Fairview, etc are way way better than Chicagoland could ever dream to have. Chicago is old news. No comparison Dallas is better, has less crimes, less unemployment, lower costs of living, nicer neighborhoods In Dallas, lot of jobs, more better sports environment, more airports, better place for business. Dallas is a better place for shopping, more restaurants in Dallas at least per capita. Dallas is way better, people are fleeing Chicago and massively moving to Dallas. Better Roads and Highways, better infrastructure in Dallas. Chicago is as a city is going bankrupt and high taxes in Chicago, better schools in Dallas, gas price is lower in Dallas and you can afford a much nicer house in Dallas. My vote is for Dallas chicago has more festivals, but I do not go to festivals that often. In Dallas I get to keep more money in my pocket because in 2016 the median salary in Dallas is higher than Chitown for lower cost of living. Stop the madness and deal with real numbers and you will understand Dallas is a way better place. The weather is a little bit better in Dallas than in Chicago.
Thanks for the comedic interlude in my day. Looks like you exist on this site to bash Chicago. Too bad, some of us love it!!

Old 06-21-2018, 01:52 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Of the 20 points I disagree with, bolded is the most laughable. That's a joke.

Winnetka vs. Mickinney? Hinsdale vs. Frisco? Glenview vs. Plano? Barrington vs. Heath? Western Springs vs. Southlake? Wilmette vs. Westlake? Lake Forest vs. Fairview? How about Glencoe? Park Ridge? Clarendon Hills? La Grange? Northfield? Lincolnshire?

People leave Chicago for Dallas for the same reason people leave NYC for Charlotte.. It's cheap. If we're talking desirability? Not close.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
The nightlife in Dallas and even Downtown Dallas is improving considerably. Dallas has the largest arts district in the USA and now there is plenty to do in Downtown Dallas. It is not like 10 years ago. The problem is a lot of Chicagoans are jealous that Dallas is growing at 4 times the rate of Chicago and that Dallas is cleaner, nicer, more prosperous with better roads and more solid infrastructure and DFW airport is a better airport and O'hare. It is what it is! Dallas is the place to be and where people are moving to for a better life and Chicago is the place people are leaving. This is happening because Dallas is much better place to live and raise of family, own a very nice house. Dallas is a place with less unemployment and the DFW metro at some point will surpass Chicago even in population. Dallas has less crimes and the weather in Dallas is better, the cost of living in Dallas is better.. Other than a lot of highrises in Downtown Chicago, there is not too much to the City of Chicago LOL. Behold People Dallas is not that less developed city it used to be in the 70ies. It is moving forward, modern, beautiful with nice skyline. The DFW metro is a much nicer metro overall than Chicago metro. Whether you want it or not, Texas with gorgeous cities like Dallas, etc is the new place to be. DEAL with it! Click here https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/t...tml/?a=viewall

Not sure what to even do with this post other than chuckle. Based on your posts, I'm guessing you're a highly charged teenager who has developed an outsized affection and hysteria about your city. Which frankly, is not necessarily a bad thing. You just need to temper it with context and real-world experience. I'm also *certain* that you have never visited Chicago. There has never been a human from Dallas who visited Chicago who would make these types of claims. In fact, I would bet 99.8% of all Dallas residents who visit Chicago say, "Good grief. Now that's a big, cool, enormous, uber-cultural city. Dallas is OK, but man I wish we were more like that. Oh well. We are what we are."

I'm not saying this to be mean. Dallas is OK and I have visited your city quite frequently over the past 3 years (in fact, just returned from a meeting in Irving yesterday). To be certain, Chicago has flaws (some serious, and in fact you allude to some), but your post is just a bit over the top, even to be parody.

Last edited by BigLake; 06-21-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Correct. Chicagoland dreams of having suburbs like those in bold.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The nightlife in Dallas and even Downtown Dallas is improving considerably. Dallas has the largest arts district in the USA and now there is plenty to do in Downtown Dallas. It is not like 10 years ago. The problem is a lot of Chicagoans are jealous that Dallas is growing at 4 times the rate of Chicago and that Dallas is cleaner, nicer, more prosperous with better roads and more solid infrastructure and DFW airport is a better airport and O'hare. It is what it is! Dallas is the place to be and where people are moving to for a better life and Chicago is the place people are leaving. This is happening because Dallas is much better place to live and raise of family, own a very nice house. Dallas is a place with less unemployment and the DFW metro at some point will surpass Chicago even in population. Dallas has less crimes and the weather in Dallas is better, the cost of living in Dallas is better.. Other than a lot of highrises in Downtown Chicago, there is not too much to the City of Chicago LOL. Behold People Dallas is not that less developed city it used to be in the 70ies. It is moving forward, modern, beautiful with nice skyline. The DFW metro is a much nicer metro overall than Chicago metro. Whether you want it or not, Texas with gorgeous cities like Dallas, etc is the new place to be. DEAL with it! Click here https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/t...tml/?a=viewall
You're wrong. Chicagoans aren't jealous of Dallas. Every city is jealous of Dallas.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is an embarrassing comparison.

Uptown? Deep Ellum? Those two neighborhoods alone wouldn't even beat Wicker Park in a silo. Lakeview, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Old Town, Logan Square, River North, Hubbard St, Wrigleyville... The list goes on, and on, and on.

Deep Ellum is one of the most depressing and underwhelming "hip areas" I have ever been to. 4-6 square blocks of a low slung warehouses with some bars and restaurants, with many empty doorfronts and parking lots in between. No thanks.

Now, give me the Ginger Man in Dallas and that is an entirely different proposition.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
People leave Chicago for Dallas for the same reason people leave NYC for Charlotte.. It's cheap. If we're talking desirability? Not close.
I didn't read past the line "Chicago is overrated" in the post you're responding to since I think that's a ridiculous assertion, but I'm not sure if I get your logic here. Chicago is an affordable big city for the most part and I don't think there's a big difference in COL between it and Dallas. And desirability is subjective. It's pretty tough to argue that the nation's fourth-largest metro that also happens to be the sixth fastest-growing among 1M+ metros somehow lags when it comes to desirability. Just because one city is older and more urban than another doesn't automatically make it more desirable in a general sense.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I didn't read past the line "Chicago is overrated" in the post you're responding to since I think that's a ridiculous assertion, but I'm not sure if I get your logic here. Chicago is an affordable big city for the most part and I don't think there's a big difference in COL between it and Dallas. And desirability is subjective. It's pretty tough to argue that the nation's fourth-largest metro that also happens to be the sixth fastest-growing among 1M+ metros somehow lags when it comes to desirability. Just because one city is older and more urban than another doesn't automatically make it more desirable in a general sense.
Exactly. And as one poster stated above, Dallas has suburbs that Chicago can only dream of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City