Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 PM

403 posts, read 666,230 times

Advertisements

Tucson, Arizona seems to be developing a reputation for being the 'cheapest big city to live in inside the USA' (I've even seen people get surprised by how cheap it is), but rentjungle states that St. Louis is cheaper to live in than Tucson is. I live in St. Louis, and would be surprised if thereare any other big cities that's cheaper than this is. As for weather, I would easily go with Tucson just because of the milder winters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 11:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
The city of Tucson is very, very affordable but it has many suburbs that are surprisingly expensive.

Tucson is a very slow growth city. There are lots of 1950s-1960s apartment complexes though that have rents in the $400-$500 range though in the city itself.

Going through the city itself it is amazing how many 40-50 year old apartment complexes there are in the city over such a massive area of the city. Many of these $400-$500 apartments look very no-frills and the exteriors in general look a bit outdated but the areas that they are mainly low-amenity areas with very little retail but are otherwise decent especially by Midwestern rough area standards.

The northern suburbs of Tucson are about twice the cost of the city. The northern suburbs are a totally different world on apartments rents and especially home prices in Tucson itself.

The city of Tucson may have comperable rents to St. Louis, but the housing prices in many Tucson suburbs are much, much higher then St. Louis suburbs.

Tucson has incredibly poverty rates though that are similar to St. Louis. Tucson is also a much, much poorer city then St. Louis.

Tucson for all it's poverty and extreme economic hardship though is not a dirty city and the violent crime rates are relatively low for a city of it's size.
'
South Tucson where the cheapest rents are doesn't seem like one is in a city of over 500,000 people. Many major streets don't have sidewalks, there is lots of open-space and modular-home devolopments.

Tucson has some denser neighborhoods but overall it is totally different from a city like St. Louis. Tucson is huge in land area and it feels much more sparse, quiet and remote then other cities across the nation of similar size.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-14-2017 at 11:20 PM..

Old 04-17-2017, 11:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I prefer Tucson

Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM

594 posts, read 698,211 times
Tucson

Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Real estate is cheap in Tucson. But everything else was more expensive than I thought when I moved there. Car insurance, car registrations and electric bills are higher than Chicago. Much of our savings from housing were wiped out by some other things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City