Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Which would you choose in terms of......

Weather

Culture

Walkability/Transit

Shopping

Nightlife

Education

Affordability

Outdoor amenities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
I'd choose......MSU over FSU

Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM

226 posts, read 249,485 times
Both are not the best for sure, but I suppose Tally just for it's location, access to water etc. Not good choices.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
Both are not the best for sure, but I suppose Tally just for it's location, access to water etc. Not good choices.
Just for something different versus the same handful of places.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie_g View Post
They are pretty good choices actually....two nice college towns. Just because they aren't huge metropolises doesn't mean they are bad choices...smh.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I would choose Tallahassee

Old 04-22-2017, 08:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Tallahassee. The weather alone is a good enough reason.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'd choose......MSU over FSU
Just something else to add is that both are state capitals. Both have other educational institutions as well.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Weather: Lansing... I think. I grew up in the Cleveland area, and now live in Florida, and can say that I decidedly prefer the 4 season climate and dealing with cold for 4 months vs. the Florida heat. However, it's worth noting, Lansing is a few degrees colder for me than I had it in Cleveland, and Tallahassee doesn't get the extensive period of heat that further south in Florida does. It's still as hot or hotter during the summer, but everything is pushed back about 6 weeks on either end.

Culture: Are we talking like the culture of the people living there? Or like museums and theatre and such? If it's that initial one, it's subjective and I don't have much preference, if it's the ladder, then Lansing. I don't know how much those two cities differ on their museums and such (Michigan is older/more established though), but I know that from Lansing, one can go same night to cultural events in Detroit (perhaps a top 10 city in the US for high culture) in a little under 90 minutes. Tallahassee does not have a similar option.

Walkability/Transit: Haven't lived in either, so hard to tell. However, I think WalkScore is at least a decent indicator, and it says that Lansing is both more walkable and bikeable (neither is great though). However, as someone who knows both slightly, DT Tallahassee is perhaps a little more walkable than DT Lansing is. I think a primary factor here is residential population (MSU is in East Lansing, a bit away from Lansing itself.

Shopping: Probably both about even, but again I'm gonna lean towards Lansing. Lansing has two malls in reasonable half day trip distance (Somerset and Briarwood), that can't be found near Tallahassee.

Nightlife: Not completely sure, I'm guessing comparable, but would lean towards Tallahassee because of the more compact downtown and it's proximity to campus.

Education: Both MSU and FSU are rated in a similar tier, according to USNWR. Not sure the quality of area local schools

Location: Lansing is 90 minutes from Detroit/Canada, <2 hours from Lake Erie, Huron, Michigan, 3.5 hours from Chicago, Cleveland/CVNP and the Splendor of the UP, and around 5 hours from Louisville, Toronto/Niagara and Pittsburgh. Tallahassee is an hour from Florida's Natural Wonder Trinity (Florida Caverns, Torreya River Bluffs and Falling Waters), 90 minutes from good Gulf beaches, 2 hours from Providence Canyon, 3 hours from Jacksonville/Saint Augustine/The Atlantic, 4 hours from Atlanta/Savannah/Orlando/Tampa Bay/Theme Parks, and a little over 5 hours to New Orleans/Birmingham/Appalachian Trail. Both good groups, depending on taste, but I would probably take the former over the latter.

Affordability: Lansing (139K median)>Tallahassee (155K median)

Outdoor Amenities: I'm gonna say this is a push. I think Tallahassee might win this one on it's head, but, I do prefer the climate of up north, which helps me to have a longer season of doing things up there.

I really don't think there's a clear winner here for me. If I had to say, just for me, I would say Lansing, but, my primary family network is virtually all in Florida now. If I were to get a job at FSU, I think I would enjoy it there over many other parts of the state, plus, I could always still visit family pretty easily on weekends (about a 4 hour trip). I will say that for my personal preferences, Detroit's proximity to Lansing helps a pretty good bit from a QOL standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City