Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:52 AM

51 posts, read 51,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
You've obviously never been to Seattle to make such a hyperbolic claim.
I've been to Seattle. You obviously never been to Miami. It's not even close to be honest, Miami has Seattle beat in many categories, and neck in neck in all the rest. There is no category for water activities that Seattle has on Miami, but Miami has several on Seattle big time.

You don't have to believe it, as you don't have to believe the earth revolves around the sun yet it will revolve whether you believe it or not. Just as Miami has water more ingrained into its culture, considerably more than Seattle, whether you believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
D bags?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Crime related to drug trafficking?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:02 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Crime related to drug trafficking?
Mostly Medicare fraud nowadays.

Feds break up $1 billion Medicare scam in Miami

Old 05-29-2017, 10:15 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Obviously the Pudget Sound extends south of the city of Seattle, that's great, wonderful point, but not related to what I said. I said south of the Seattle metropolitan area, if you read my post a second time and you'll see that you miscomprehended it accidentally. Metropolitan area not city. There are still areas in Seattle metropolitan area south of the Pudget Sound like Dupont, Lacey, Olympia and the others. So to be clear, for the 100th time, when I say "Seattle metropolitan area" I am referring to south of these places or where ever the last house on the southside of Greater Seattle metropolitan area is -- south of there, that house.

Same with east. I already said in my post that there are lakes east of the city of Seattle, I know how to read a map, but you don't know how to read a post. I said there are no large bodies of water east of the Seattle metropolitan area, not the city of Seattle, but rather the metropolitan area and there aren't. I'm looking at a map right now, tell me where the sound, a sea, a gulf, an ocean, or a bay is east of Fall City, Hobart, Cumberland? There seemingly isn't one. If you read my post correctly and had seen I said metropolitan area and not the city, I think you'd be on the same page.

Now try the same exercise with the Miami metropolitan area, not city, but the entire metropolitan area. Here's a summary, East of the Miami metropolitan area is the Atlantic Ocean. South of the Miami metropolitan area is the confluence point of the Caribbean Sea, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Gulf of Mexico (so basically the ocean). West of the Miami metropolitan area are the Everglades, oh and not just west of some of the area but west of the entire metropolitan area. The Everglades as a body of water is probably as comparably large as the Pudget Sound, wouldn't surprise me if its geographically larger and more expansive. So that's east, west, and south of the Miami metropolitan area are all large bodies of water that cannot be built on, thus hemming the region in. Only north being clear of most of these watery obstructions and even there are large setbacks as well. In this regard I think the Seattle metropolitan area is less geographically constrained by large bodies of water than is the Miami metropolitan area, again, metropolitan area NOT city.

I already stated that by city proper it is probably a wash between Miami and Seattle, the premise of my argument was the next level up, the metropolitan areas, in which case, unless you're damn near blind like Hellen Keller or don't understand how to read a map, the Miami metropolitan area is more ingrained with water because water serves as a barrier on three of its four sides. Again, metropolitan area not just the city.
There's also criss-crossing the Miami metropolitan area a large number of bays formed by the islands to the east that front the Atlantic Ocean proper and the Miami River which drains the Everglades and cuts through Miami proper. Then there's the aquifer just below the surface which has allowed South Florida's growth by providing a source of water while also limiting it as tunneling just a bit under the surface hits the water table and gives you flooding. Then there's the hurricane season when the sea decides to take a road trip into land and see what's up. It's a lot of water in the area.

The Miami area at the southeast and the Seattle area at the northwest tips of the continental US are a great comparison though. Two booming, more newly urban cities surrounded water that have myriad differences between them is a great comparison. There's been so much change going on with the intense development happening in both cities, and it's interesting to see their responses to the growing infill and the urban boom they're both going through.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:08 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPelican View Post
I've been to Seattle. You obviously never been to Miami. It's not even close to be honest, Miami has Seattle beat in many categories, and neck in neck in all the rest. There is no category for water activities that Seattle has on Miami, but Miami has several on Seattle big time.

You don't have to believe it, as you don't have to believe the earth revolves around the sun yet it will revolve whether you believe it or not. Just as Miami has water more ingrained into its culture, considerably more than Seattle, whether you believe it or not.
I think that people in the Seattle area/greater Puget sound have a greater chance of interacting with marine wildlife, but IDK, maybe Miami is better in this regard as well? After all I do hear about people finding crocs/alligators in their pools, and people getting attacked by sharks at the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ABFHB4a86E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvTBZUXud6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJSvO-OFEQ

Old 05-29-2017, 01:44 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There's also criss-crossing the Miami metropolitan area a large number of bays formed by the islands to the east that front the Atlantic Ocean proper and the Miami River which drains the Everglades and cuts through Miami proper. Then there's the aquifer just below the surface which has allowed South Florida's growth by providing a source of water while also limiting it as tunneling just a bit under the surface hits the water table and gives you flooding. Then there's the hurricane season when the sea decides to take a road trip into land and see what's up. It's a lot of water in the area.
This is correct.

When you live in South Florida, water impacts a lot of what you do, whether or not you decide to recreationally make use of the water available to you on all sides.

For example, people that buy homes in Southeast Florida would be wise to invest in flood insurance because that is something that you will need at some point or another. It's best to have your property and valuable belongings covered by that just because of where you live. There is also the propensity of heavy rainfall, while rain isn't anywhere near as ingrained in Miami's image as it is with Seattle, it really should be given the amount of rainfall the Southeast Florida metropolis averages annually. I personally consider rain a great thing, not just because I love rain but because it serves the purpose of keeping plants and vegetation in an emerald green color for the grand majority of the year. Speaking of plants and vegetation, Southeast Florida has a lot of variety and depth with coastal area plants and vegetation, just off natural causes alone.

That being said, while I am pro-Miami here in this argument, to give credit where it is due, Seattle also has severe risk of natural disasters that have widespread ramifications due to water related activities. While it is significantly less frequent (once every 300-700 years sort of thing), Seattle lies in a subduction zone, which means it is vulnerable to the world's absolute most powerful natural disaster -- the megathrust earthquake which spawn off tsunamis that devastate in every direction. That natural disaster is complete and utter devastation, there is no way to survive that as tsunamis begin to ring 12-25 minutes after the ground starts shaking and you have less than half an hour to get to an elevation that will keep you alive, if you don't you will perish. The waves would be astronomical in height and size. The devastation happens every 300-500 years, it has struck the Pacific Northwest before but that was back when literally no one other than the indigenous people lived there (the Tsumani spawned by the megathrust earthquake is believed to be the reason why the Ghost (Dead) Forest exists along the Pacific Northwest coastline). California, which garners almost all the attention in the United States regarding earthquakes, is not vulnerable to these types of earthquakes because unlike the Pacific Northwest, California is not on a subduction zone.

Ghosts of Tsunamis Past

Greater documentary on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFyWPTX2ug

You know of Historic Route 66, right? It used to be a roadway that started in Chicago and would terminate in Los Angeles, it was culturally a backbone to American culture in a time period when widespread cross country travel was just getting its footing in 20th century America. It was known as "Main Street America" because along the route you would get all of the quintessential features and aspects to America, as well as many of America's best and most outstanding geographical variations. For water related reasons, the Intracoastal Waterway serves as the watery version of what Historic Route 66 did by road.

The Intracoastal Waterway was designed to allow those with boats, both the authorities and locals alike to utilize to get around the country through a connected waterway system that spanned two-thirds of America's full coastline. When I lived in the United States in two of the coastal metropolises that have the Intracoastal Waterway access available to them, I've met local people that owned boats and during vacations they would use the Intracoastal Waterway to travel to different areas of the United States because not only was it convenient for them, but it was an experience worthwhile their time. The Intracoastal Waterway runs from Boston, Massachusetts to Port Isabel, Texas and have links and connections to various rivers and waterways in the United States' interior landmass.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
This is correct.

When you live in South Florida, water impacts a lot of what you do, whether or not you decide to recreationally make use of the water available to you on all sides.

For example, people that buy homes in Southeast Florida would be wise to invest in flood insurance because that is something that you will need at some point or another. It's best to have your property and valuable belongings covered by that just because of where you live. There is also the propensity of heavy rainfall, while rain isn't anywhere near as ingrained in Miami's image as it is with Seattle, it really should be given the amount of rainfall the Southeast Florida metropolis averages annually. I personally consider rain a great thing, not just because I love rain but because it serves the purpose of keeping plants and vegetation in an emerald green color for the grand majority of the year. Speaking of plants and vegetation, Southeast Florida has a lot of variety and depth with coastal area plants and vegetation, just off natural causes alone.

That being said, while I am pro-Miami here in this argument, to give credit where it is due, Seattle also has severe risk of natural disasters that have widespread ramifications due to water related activities. While it is significantly less frequent (once every 300-700 years sort of thing), Seattle lies in a subduction zone, which means it is vulnerable to the world's absolute most powerful natural disaster -- the megathrust earthquake which spawn off tsunamis that devastate in every direction. That natural disaster is complete and utter devastation, there is no way to survive that as tsunamis begin to ring 12-25 minutes after the ground starts shaking and you have less than half an hour to get to an elevation that will keep you alive, if you don't you will perish. The waves would be astronomical in height and size. The devastation happens every 300-500 years, it has struck the Pacific Northwest before but that was back when literally no one other than the indigenous people lived there (the Tsumani spawned by the megathrust earthquake is believed to be the reason why the Ghost (Dead) Forest exists along the Pacific Northwest coastline). California, which garners almost all the attention in the United States regarding earthquakes, is not vulnerable to these types of earthquakes because unlike the Pacific Northwest, California is not on a subduction zone.

Ghosts of Tsunamis Past

Greater documentary on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFyWPTX2ug

You know of Historic Route 66, right? It used to be a roadway that started in Chicago and would terminate in Los Angeles, it was culturally a backbone to American culture in a time period when widespread cross country travel was just getting its footing in 20th century America. It was known as "Main Street America" because along the route you would get all of the quintessential features and aspects to America, as well as many of America's best and most outstanding geographical variations. For water related reasons, the Intracoastal Waterway serves as the watery version of what Historic Route 66 did by road.

The Intracoastal Waterway was designed to allow those with boats, both the authorities and locals alike to utilize to get around the country through a connected waterway system that spanned two-thirds of America's full coastline. When I lived in the United States in two of the coastal metropolises that have the Intracoastal Waterway access available to them, I've met local people that owned boats and during vacations they would use the Intracoastal Waterway to travel to different areas of the United States because not only was it convenient for them, but it was an experience worthwhile their time. The Intracoastal Waterway runs from Boston, Massachusetts to Port Isabel, Texas and have links and connections to various rivers and waterways in the United States' interior landmass.
Yes, when the sea comes to great Seattle on land, it's going to be a really, really bad vacay.

Have you ever met a Great Looper?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think that people in the Seattle area/greater Puget sound have a greater chance of interacting with marine wildlife, but IDK, maybe Miami is better in this regard as well?
How is watching an Orca from the dry safety of a boat more interactive than snorkeling or swimming with dolphins?

Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think that people in the Seattle area/greater Puget sound have a greater chance of interacting with marine wildlife, but IDK, maybe Miami is better in this regard as well? After all I do hear about people finding crocs/alligators in their pools, and people getting attacked by sharks at the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ABFHB4a86E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvTBZUXud6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJSvO-OFEQ

are you sure about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City