Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which city is "water" most ingrained in its culture?
Boston 30 7.92%
Los Angeles 14 3.69%
Miami 178 46.97%
New Orleans 26 6.86%
San Francisco 7 1.85%
Seattle 79 20.84%
Other 45 11.87%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 11:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,865,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
It was just a response to those who are saying Seattle doesn't have a beach culture. The many ways in which Seattle has water ingrained into its fabric and culture have been listed already. Clearly, classic beach culture is not one of Seattle's strengths when looking at this topic, and is way down the list. But my point is that it is there if you want it during the warm months.
I'm surprised nobody noted there's hardly anyone in the water in the pictures you posted. But yes, the classical beach scene/culture that everyone thinks of isn't that strong for Seattle. Though there are good number of Seattleites that are used to cold water and actually do swim in the waters of Puget Sound, it's apparently too cold for everyone else.

One of my favorite local commercials was the Pemco's Goosebumped Beach Bum, which to me is the quintessential PNW:

https://youtu.be/1XBOorGPE-Q

(For a lot of people, this sort of thing would be a no-go though. They would feel exactly like the girl in the commercial.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
It was just a response to those who are saying Seattle doesn't have a beach culture. The many ways in which Seattle has water ingrained into its fabric and culture have been listed already. Clearly, classic beach culture is not one of Seattle's strengths when looking at this topic, and is way down the list. But my point is that it is there if you want it during the warm months.

Also, I compared it to the Bay Area because I lived there for a long time. I'm very familiar with Santa Cruz but I don't consider that the Bay Area and it's a pretty far trek from SF/Oak to Santa Cruz. With Seattle you've got beaches on the sound (Alki, Golden Gardens) and several on the lake (Madison Park, etc.) within city limits that are very nice in the summer. Ocean and Baker are nice but very far from being classic beaches even in the summer. Half Moon Bay is a cool town and has gorgeous rocky beaches but again nothing like the classic feel of a developed beachfront area like Alki in Seattle (with the beachfront restaurants, promenade, volleyball tournaments, etc.)
Sure but it seems pretty limited as you noted and that is partly why Miami is such a clear "winner" here.

It is part of the SF Bay Area CSA as people do commute from Santa Cruz to Silicon Valley for jobs but yeah it's a trek and day trip for most people in the region. I was curious what temp Lake Washington got during summer and it said 70, so if that is the case then yeah Seattle probably beats the Bay Area as far as beaches to swim at in the metro area.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I'm surprised nobody noted there's hardly anyone in the water in the pictures you posted. But yes, the classical beach scene/culture that everyone thinks of isn't that strong for Seattle. Though there are good number of Seattleites that are used to cold water and actually do swim in the waters of Puget Sound, it's apparently too cold for everyone else.

One of my favorite local commercials was the Pemco's Goosebumped Beach Bum, which to me is the quintessential PNW:

(For a lot of people, this sort of thing would be a no-go though. They would feel exactly like the girl in the commercial.)
I did notice that too actually, just didn't think it was worth pointing out considering it was being compared to the Bay Area. You see people in the water in Santa Cruz but it's still too cold for your average person and only works for kids and adults with a cold water tolerance.

That commercial is what most of coastline along the Bay Area/Northern CA is like too except for Santa Cruz which is sunny and warmer than the rest of the coast because it faces south.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:51 PM

165 posts, read 206,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think the biggest things against Seattle is that it lacks a traditional/stereotypical beach culture, the water never gets warm/swimmable, and the gloomy weather for a good chunk of the year. Given its climate/location it is rather impressive the ingrained water culture it does have though.
Seattle people do not swim at the saltwater beaches for sure. That's something Miami has way over Seattle.
I do know "Seattle has more pleasure boats per capita than anywhere else in the U.S."
Boat Launch Fees - Parks | seattle.gov

And Seattle has the longest floating bridge in the world (two of them) plus
"The World's First Floating Light Rail" is being built.
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ington/526368/

....all that water everywhere in Seattle.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:41 PM

429 posts, read 479,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sure but it seems pretty limited as you noted and that is partly why Miami is such a clear "winner" here.

It is part of the SF Bay Area CSA as people do commute from Santa Cruz to Silicon Valley for jobs but yeah it's a trek and day trip for most people in the region. I was curious what temp Lake Washington got during summer and it said 70, so if that is the case then yeah Seattle probably beats the Bay Area as far as beaches to swim at in the metro area.
Miami is the clear winner in terms of swimmable beaches, yes, but that's only one of many categories related to water being ingrained into a city's culture, and Seattle is very strong on many of the other categories.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

Ok, but that scene in the commercial is in a remote rocky beach likely well outside of the Puget Sound Region. Alki Beach, Golden Gardens, and several of the Lake Washington beaches (all within Seattle city limits) have much more of a classic beach feel during the (admittedly limited) warmer months, especially Alki.

But again, swimmable beaches is only one of many categories related to a city's water culture. Of course Miami is much stronger there, but Seattle's beach scene is better than most people assume.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
Seattle people do not swim at the saltwater beaches for sure. That's something Miami has way over Seattle.
I do know "Seattle has more pleasure boats per capita than anywhere else in the U.S."
Boat Launch Fees - Parks | seattle.gov

And Seattle has the longest floating bridge in the world (two of them) plus
"The World's First Floating Light Rail" is being built.
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...ington/526368/

....all that water everywhere in Seattle.
Don't forget Seattle Seafair every summer:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/py8snZ9uhVs/hqdefault.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...15a1de3cd3.jpg

http://seattle.findwell.com/wp-conte...ne-550x367.jpg

http://www.seattlesouthside.com/syst...jpg?1442548648

Old 06-06-2017, 06:53 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Ok, but that scene in the commercial is in a remote rocky beach likely well outside of the Puget Sound Region. Alki Beach, Golden Gardens, and several of the Lake Washington beaches (all within Seattle city limits) have much more of a classic beach feel during the (admittedly limited) warmer months, especially Alki.

But again, swimmable beaches is only one of many categories related to a city's water culture. Of course Miami is much stronger there, but Seattle's beach scene is better than most people assume.
Yes .... but Miami still to has a HUGE Port and a Premier International Resort of the world in Miami Beach and the beachfront of Miami proper.

Too much to beat in quality and quantity here.

Even Chicago on a Huge Lake can boast beaches and Boast Parties right downtown in harbors too. But Miami has that HIGHER ECHELON to beat.

Even Chicago has them boat parties coming up....
and its lakefront of Harbors and beaches in summer.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
^^^ Chicago Boat Party 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nh829PX2gw

Old 06-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Miami is the clear winner in terms of swimmable beaches, yes, but that's only one of many categories related to water being ingrained into a city's culture, and Seattle is very strong on many of the other categories.
So is Miami, Seattle doesn't really have an advantage in any category I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City