Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next southern sunbelt boom town?
Savanah GA 5 13.51%
Birmingham AL 3 8.11%
Huntsville-Decatur AL 8 21.62%
Fayetteville NW AR 3 8.11%
Chattanooga TN 2 5.41%
Columbia SC 9 24.32%
Chattanooga TN 2 5.41%
Little Rock AR 1 2.70%
Waco TX 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:00 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the next major sunbelt boom town will be, I think it will be one of these smaller regions in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times
Birmingham boomed decades ago, so Huntsville...

Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 PM

603 posts, read 931,884 times
Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers-Bentonville area of Northwest Arkansas. The area has been growing rapidly for decades.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
Columbia has the tools. State capital and large flagship school is a good recipe for varying degrees of healthy population and economic growth (Austin/UT, Cbus/OSU, Phoenix(Tempe)/ASU, Madison/UW etc.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Savannah then Wal-Mart country. Birmingham and Waco are lol choices

Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
Just realized I put Chattanooga twice......

Old 05-25-2017, 06:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Savannah then Wal-Mart country. Birmingham and Waco are lol choices
Based on what? This is why I hate the CvC thread. Because people with zero knowledge of any given city just weigh in without a clue. Or they base their observations on a one-day business trip ten years ago or a quick drive past downtown on the interstate. Birmingham is a city that's reinvented itself over the past decade. To wit:

A Return to Downtown Birmingham - The New York Times

https://www.curbed.com/2016/8/8/1240...l-preservation

Been to Birmingham Lately? You're In for a Surprise | Frommer's

https://www.zagat.com/v/birmingham-i...-hot-food-city

Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Columbia has the tools. State capital and large flagship school is a good recipe for varying degrees of healthy population and economic growth (Austin/UT, Cbus/OSU, Phoenix(Tempe)/ASU, Madison/UW etc.
I agree, Columbia has a very favorable geographic location on the eastern seaboard and decent climate (for the region). The state also seems headed toward a more progressive vibe which has hindered economic growth in the past. That along with NC's well-publicized regression has opened doors for SC that I don't think might have existed if NC had continued it's inclusiveness of the past.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
I can tell you the least likely one to boom - Waco. Fixer Upper has put it on a lot of peoples' radars, but it'll be held back by the fact that it's a complete dump. Plus Baylor is in deep caca for covering up the culture of rape fostered by the willful ignorance of disgraced former head football coach (and all-around dirtbag) Art Briles and senior administrators at the school. I really hope the NCAA gives them the death penalty. I wouldn't let my daughters go there even if they got a full ride.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:14 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
I don't know if Savannah will have the industry to truly boom. It's a great, popular place but I don't know if it has the economy to compete with others.
Huntsville seems to be doing well, at least for being in AL. I've heard a lot of good things about NW Arkansas and that's it's been growing well. Little Rock is actually a pretty nice place to visit. Great scenery just to the west. Half decent bar scene. Nice riverfront area. Tough to choose between these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I can tell you the least likely one to boom - Waco. Fixer Upper has put it on a lot of peoples' radars, but it'll be held back by the fact that it's a complete dump. Plus Baylor is in deep caca for covering up the culture of rape fostered by the willful ignorance of disgraced former head football coach (and all-around dirtbag) Art Briles and senior administrators at the school. I really hope the NCAA gives them the death penalty. I wouldn't let my daughters go there even if they got a full ride.
Ain't that the truth. Waco is one of my least favorite places in Texas (excluding west Texas - never been so I can't judge). There's one little nice area just northwest of downtown but it really is just a crap hole. The countryside to the east is one of the ugliest parts of Texas IMO (gulf coastal plain near Houston gets a shout out for that). It has to compete with DFW to the north, Temple/Killeen/Belton to the near south and Austin to the even farther south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City