Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle's urban form is closer to?
Los Angeles 16 29.09%
San Diego 39 70.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 03:49 PM

591 posts, read 820,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
SeaTac does have an impact on the building codes in DT. Columbia Center was supposed to be taller, but FAA told them to cut it shorter. More recently, Crescent Heights was envisioned with 101 stories, but it had to lop off 7 stories to comply. So Seattle doesn't completely lack that restriction.
I believe its more impacted by Boeing Field, just south of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 03:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
I believe its more impacted by Boeing Field, just south of downtown.
Yes, I don't know what I was thinking when I mentioned that airport. There's definitely having to deal with the FAA restrictions for Seattle.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:59 PM

429 posts, read 479,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, I think a lot of that has to do with having a better bus network, though I'm not sure if that's completely true. San Diego in 2021 is supposed to open an 11 mile long extension of its light rail line to serve its major university (UCSD) and secondary CBD. In regards to light rail specifically, I think San Diego will stay ahead on total ridership numbers for at least a decade as it's currently double Seattle's ridership.

I think what San Diego is actually missing the most is a good bike lane network for commuting and visiting. Lord knows its weather is just about perfect for that.
Seattle does have a very strong bus network and a growing BRT network, but obviously rail is more exciting.

Seattle's rail system is still pretty new, and it's hard to say for sure, but Sound Transit projects that once Northgate Link (2021), Lynnwood Link (2023), and East Link (2023) open, ridership will jump up to close to 200K. Of course, projections are just projections, but based on the near doubling in ridership that occurred with last year's opening of two new subway stations, I'd say it's possible. What are the ridership projections for San Diego's Mid-coast Trolley extension?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM

266 posts, read 276,674 times
Neither

Old 06-08-2017, 05:21 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Someone pointed out on this forum somewhere that San Diego's urban core (92101-92116) is about 80 square miles with around 700,000 people....lining it right up with Seattle.
I actually would be curious to see the citations on that. Not that it can't be true but I would be pretty surprised. Though obviously each city has a different topography and zoning laws which affect density.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:12 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Even before a single light rail, commuter rail, or streetcar line opened, Seattle beat many rail cities in transit commute share. Buses can do quite a bit, especially if they have HOV lanes, a downtown tunnel, etc.

I'll say it again though, SD has had really impressive infill, and I'm also a fan of California-style land-use efficiency, where even the car-dominated areas use every nook and cranny for a purpose.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:59 PM

216 posts, read 200,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
But Seattle's transit commute mode share absolutely demolishes San Diego's and within 6 years its rail network coverage will as well. Looking even further into the future, Seattle has passed a $54 Billion dollar grade-separated rail plan that will create a 120 mile system with a projected ridership of over 500K and San Diego hasn't.
It's going to take a lot longer than 6 years for Seattle to catch up to San Diego in light rail. And it will probably be 20 years before they catch LA and San Francisco.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:05 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in L.A. View Post
It's going to take a lot longer than 6 years for Seattle to catch up to San Diego in light rail. And it will probably be 20 years before they catch LA and San Francisco.
Are you joking? I lived in San Diego for four years. Light rail goes to where? Tijuana and La Mesa. It's awful. Why doesn't light rail go to any of the desirable neighborhoods like Hillcrest, North Park, or any of the beaches?

As an urban city, San Diego just doesn't compete with Seattle. Those who disagree have not been to both cities. I guarantee it. SD = total car culture

Old 07-03-2017, 12:29 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I actually would be curious to see the citations on that. Not that it can't be true but I would be pretty surprised. Though obviously each city has a different topography and zoning laws which affect density.
Just recalling a random forum post, but it makes sense as the core zip codes in San Diego are between 5-15k ppsm.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Are you joking? I lived in San Diego for four years. Light rail goes to where? Tijuana and La Mesa. It's awful. Why doesn't light rail go to any of the desirable neighborhoods like Hillcrest, North Park, or any of the beaches?

As an urban city, San Diego just doesn't compete with Seattle. Those who disagree have not been to both cities. I guarantee it. SD = total car culture
I took light rail to the Padre game today. We are getting a blue line extension from Old Town to UTC La Jolla. Yes, light rail is absent in nearly all of uptown San Diego...but where again is the light rail in ANY neighborhood in Seattle outside of downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City