Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM

405 posts, read 477,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusso46 View Post
OK guys so I am a single 21 year old male and I have been living on the west coast all my life (SoCAL) and hate the laid back, chilled, flaky, and superficial vibe that how 95% of people are over here. ( not to be extreme ) Since my father and family has roots in New York, I love the old money, authentic and direct attitude you get from people that are from there. I am going to break down some things I love and would hate about a new city move (in pros and cons): NOTE: SF is by far, one of my favorite cities, but due to its superficial vibe and not so great night life, i had to leave it out :/

PROS (Things I'll LOVE my NEW city to have):

Access to the Amish/Farmland for a short stay and/or visit

Big city with a small city vibe and not too overcrowded like LA

A city that is walkable and/or public transit accessible to which I won't need a car and I can find everything within 2-5 miles ( gym, organic food store, business and real estate opportunities, education, book stores, nature, etc.)

A city with little freeway and street traffic

A city with great and amazing food, culture/arts/music/etc

A city with hiking trails, nature, mountains and peaks to visit and see

A City with AN ABUNDANT Nightlife that has bars close late at night and have everyone social and authentic kind of vibe to which the women are attractive and open about their personality

Affordability to which anyone can live near or in downtown or a popular area for a relative cost compared to any other cities

A great quality of life with artificial, authentic, though can be anal and socially diverse people around

CONS (Things I DONT WANT in a city)

Superficial and flakiness of the majority of people

Overly populated and spread out area

Traffic that makes you hate life

A city that is NOT Culturally diverse and doesn't have a fantastic nightlife

A dirty,environmentally unconscious city that leaves trash laying around with high pollution and streets that stink up the city

High Crime and murder rate, "ghetto" if you will

A city without major cool cities nearby is a no no, (Milwaukee Detroit, Cleveland can be cool, though i never visited)

Please provide absolutely great feedback and explanation if you've been to any of these 5 cities above and why I should live there, I am literally stressing myself out over here and can't choose because I have never been to any of the cities but know one of them fit a ENTP and Gemini type person like me! Thanks

To be honest, definitely NOT New York. It has many of the things you don't want, such as flaky and superficial people (New Yorkers have a stereotype to be straight up, but that only exists within the real, generational New Yorkers. Plus, flaky people are everywhere, and the new influx of yuppies that move into the city are not real New Yorkers.)

It is definitely overpopulated, it's the most populated city in the country and definitely is crowded, even in most of the suburbs.

The traffic, even though public transit is good, is awful. Thats what happens when you pile almost 20 million people into a metro area.

It is definitely diverse and has great nightlife, I'll give it that. Growing up and living here, I can honestly say we have great nightlife, and amazing ethnic food, events, bars clubs etc.

If you don't like a stinky city, don't come here either. Go to Manhattan in the middle of August and tell me how it smells.

The crime rate has definitely gone down from what it used to be and is probably one of the safest major cities in the world, however there are areas with crime in every city.

There are some cities nearby, which is a good thing and does have a good location. Philadelphia, Boston, DC, Atlantic City, and CT/NJ cities are all within a drivable distance.

I love New York and have lived here my whole life, but unfortunately, the middle and even upper middle class are being driven out. Unless you make a very healthy salary/don't mind living in a very detached/ghetto part of the city, it's hard to live here if your young and don't make a lot of money.

By your criteria, I'd suggest Philadelphia. Close to NY/other east coast cities, 1.5 hours from NJ beaches, great food scene, young, driving distance to amish country, relatively affordable compared to NYC and is pretty centrally located.

Chicago and Miami would be good options. Chicago is more affordable than NYC and has a good economy/food scene, but Chicago isn't really as close to larger cities, except Milwaukee, and I guess Des Moines or Indianapolis. Miami has great weather, driving distance to Orlando, Tampa and Atlanta (a stretch), but is pretty expensive in the nice areas and has probably the weakest economy of the ones you listed.

Last edited by tman7117; 06-16-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City