Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 04:10 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times

Advertisements

I caught the Tide earlier downtown and now I'm headed back, but I do want to say the train into downtown from Newtown was packed with a bunch of people from Virginia Beach heading to the Norfolk Tides game this afternoon. So I want to correct an earlier statement I made about the ridership. Beach residents voted against Tide extension last year by a margin of 57-43. It seems there are people in the Beach who support Tide, so I'll say at maybe a rate of larger than 5 but less than 10% ridership from VB. Norfolk residents still likely account for 80-85% of the ridership...

It took me 18 minutes to get from Newtown to MacArthur and back, without the hassle if traffic. I really have no clue why these people don't want this thing extended. This entire region epulf benefit from a more sophisticated and extensive rail network...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:16 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I was visiting in Norfolk, Va. (had not been there in some years), and I felt like I was downtown in Charleston, Sc!

Similar seaports, but what are the glaring differences. Both, are closely boarded by beaches, and the coast. Both have Universities in the cities. Both have plenty of seafood restaurants. Both have history.
I like both cities, but what are the differences?
If I'm correct, Hampton roads has several hbcu's whereas the Charleston area has none. Also, relations between white/Caucasian and black/African descent populations is better in the Hampton roads and this area due to the military presence if far more diverse racially, too.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:26 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=0mWetWdsRb8

Old 08-28-2017, 09:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
To me this is a case where the smaller city is far superior to the larger MSA

Old 08-29-2017, 03:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Very boosterish Norfolk video lol...

I don't know enough to call Norfolk worse than Charleston, that sounds extreme. The Southside Hampton Roads is nearly 1.2 million persons. That's 433,000/57% larger than metro Charleston. There has to be some level of something that exceeds Charleston's reach here...

The Southside is basically trending towards functioning as twin cities. Two competing twin cities that are always angry at each other, but twin cities nonetheless. Downtown Norfolk will probably remain the heart and most vibrant section of the area forever, but both cities have a corporate base and The Beach's is growing faster. There are desirable neighborhoods throughout both and the cross flow between the two is inseperable...

I don't think it's possible for Norfolk to seperate itself as a dominant city any longer because it isnt. It's at the Bottom of it's tier. It/they probably still trump Charleston but it is not a very enthralling area when compared to peer cities, and as harsh as that sounds, it is the truth...

Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I like both cities, but what are the differences?
Civic pride.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:32 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
If I'm correct, Hampton roads has several hbcu's whereas the Charleston area has none. Also, relations between white/Caucasian and black/African descent populations is better in the Hampton roads and this area due to the military presence if far more diverse racially, too.
As someone who spent some time in Norfolk in the Navy, I would say race relations are far better in Charleston which is also a military town.

The reaction and coming together of the community in the wake of the Mother Emanuel shootings last year are proof positive of this.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:41 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,429,791 times
This is another great video to check out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76CjBvN9auU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City