Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Reeeeally?
You didn't know? The Pied Piper secretly works at the airport lmao.

Honestly that's the dumbest thing I have ever read. However, I will say there is disparity currently between the terminals since the international was just rebuilt and construction on the rest is still in the planning phases.

I'm pretty sure most cities would be pretty happy if the airlines agree to a billion dollars in upgrades for their airport: Airlines at PHL agree to $900 million in improvements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Sad to say, but when I was at the Philly airport a few years ago, there were rats inside, and the employees were actually feeding them. Disgusting!
Yea, because that happens.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Fine! If that's what happens there, I'll stay in the west, thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
EDIT: I wanted to add that while you're correct that Philly is not seen as the destination for short vacations like other cities listed, it is very underrated. Until I lived here, none of my family in Rochester and Syracuse had visited. Many have visited now, including places like Cape May and the PA countryside, and they prefer it over Cape Cod and our other frequently visited destinations. Being "a destination" has its downsides (e.g. over-populated, over-touristy, more expensive).
I think generally speaking the Mid-Atlantic is very underrated as a vacation destination on a national level (excluding NYC and DC). There's so much variety in the area, and despite its national reputation, the Jersey Shore has so much to offer and is generally much nicer than most folks with little-to-no experience in the area envision.

Cape Cod and the Islands are certainly much more quaint and fantastic for accessing more remote areas for "unspoiled" nature, but it's extremely lacking in terms of vibrance, variety and fun culture compared the Jersey Shore. It's become WAY too heavy on the preppy, stuffy, upper-middle class white people culture--to the extent that it's over-the-top (and I say this as a white person). But then again, such is New England.

They're just two very different experiences, but that doesn't mean one is inherently better than the other.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-24-2017 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 02:17 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I, for one, am partial to the opossum stew they serve at LAX.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Philly being landlocked and not really making as great tourist use of its rivers really kind of hurt it. When you can't really say you have a waterfront like Boston, NYC, or hell even Baltimore, that hurts. DC doesn't need an amazing waterfront when it has the White House and monuments. Philly has...an unimpressive river with industrial seafaring barges and a heavily industrialized New Jersey. At least Pittsburgh has a scenic river feel. So does Cincinnati. Louisville's is also decent. But these are all flyover country cities. Philly is in the coastal Elite class. Except it isn't coastal. Baltimore at least has the Harbor. Philly has...two huge rivers and yet do people even really know? One of Philly's biggest letdowns for the geographically challenged is the fact that it isn't actually a coastal city. Yes it's at an Estuary wow big deal smh

Philly, give people a reason to appreciate your natural beauty. Your cricks and the wooder in them lol. People barely realize there's a Philadelphia countryside but when they it they sh i t brix lol. Give people more than "eooh hey youz we got a Rocky statue anymore" or some "cats needa go eat at Max's steaks Cuz". Philly should showcase its music history more. Doo wop. Philly soul. Disco. Heck G Love even. Beanie Sigel. Your residents are all loyal to your sound. Make it more known to tourists who care.

Stop making people remember you for WaWa and annoying sometimes deadly sports fanatics but instead for your unique city culture of many Islamic blacks, heavy Puerto Rican food, agricultural spirit, and the fact that you actually have hills. It isn't all Rocky and douchebag Italians like Steve Martorano. Give people a more accurate impression of Philly than some attempted New York borough. Philly is a letdown for many people expecting a mini New York and instead getting a city that while very educated and cosmopolitan still can give off a vibe of a hick town in the Midwest. But this is a unique city. It doesn't have to be like New York or Boston because it's Northeastern. It is still very much a "almost halfway" city on the East Coast. The metro of Philly can at times feel more like rural Maryland than Westchester County New York. I know Philly has the Main Line but it also has Bucks county and Hillbilly South Jersey next door. But these are all very cool things. Philly seems to give off a vibe that uninetionally it is trying to be New York which is the letdown.
Not getting the connection with DC not needing a waterfront because it has the White House and monuments; while Philly has Independence Hall and amazing colonial architecture. DC is not an east coast city as well.

Gladly take a coastal estuary than coastal (see New York in Super storm Sandy).

"A vibe of a hick town in the Midwest"? You mean like Cincinnati? Speaking of the geographically challenged, given that Philly's location is in the lower Delaware River valley it wouldn't be as river scenic as Pittsburgh, Cinci, and Louisville; all cities located in the Ohio River Valley. How can you make that comparison?

What vibe is Philly unintentionally giving off that its NY resulting in a letdown?

Perhaps if you ever visit Philly you should expand your horizons beyond WaWa, the Rocky steps, and sports fans.

You just need to play up some old Philly stereotypes, for whatever reason. Maybe you've watched 1976 Rocky movie too many times. Btw, what's up with the racist Italian stereotyping?

Last edited by Kamms; 07-24-2017 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 03:58 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If you're going to give Philly credit for the commuter rail, you have to count Metra in Chicago (which covers quite a few neighborhoods not covered by CTA.
Fair point. I just like Philly's commuter rail better in that it's electrified which, because of quicker stopping/starting (leading to more closely spaced city stations than Chicago generally -- except on Metra Electric, of course), it's more rapid transit like, and Philly's is the only totally unified commuter system on the continent with the Center City tunnel allowing riders to travel from one side of the city and metro area to the other (a la the German S-Bahn). At most, you'd have a same-platform transfer in Center City.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I should have said metro. The countryside is closer to Philly than people realize. This is what gives the place a pseudo country vibe at times. Reminds me of Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.
You mean because Philly's located near mountains? Pittsburgh is pretty much in the mountains, Cinci is hilly along the river. Don't see the comparison other than heading into the adjacent counties around Philly, especially northwest. Its a hilly to rolling topography; the nexus from mountains to flattening out into Jersey's coastal plain.

Didn't think Philly's perception problem related to its topography. Topography would then certainly play into Chicago's perception issues; the flattest, blandest, and prairie city in the U.S. I'll take Philly's topography and location any day.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Fine! If that's what happens there, I'll stay in the west, thanks!
Please do, thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Fair point. I just like Philly's commuter rail better in that it's electrified which, because of quicker stopping/starting (leading to more closely spaced city stations than Chicago generally -- except on Metra Electric, of course), it's more rapid transit like, and Philly's is the only totally unified commuter system on the continent with the Center City tunnel allowing riders to travel from one side of the city and metro area to the other (a la the German S-Bahn). At most, you'd have a same-platform transfer in Center City.
Throw in PATCO in Philly as well, my personal favorite line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City