Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You didn't know? The Pied Piper secretly works at the airport lmao.

Honestly that's the dumbest thing I have ever read. However, I will say there is disparity currently between the terminals since the international was just rebuilt and construction on the rest is still in the planning phases.

I'm pretty sure most cities would be pretty happy if the airlines agree to a billion dollars in upgrades for their airport: Airlines at PHL agree to $900 million in improvements

Lol how long have we been hearing about the huge upgrade to the airport? Again, still not even under construction. This is how Philly works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:56 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off you are mixing Del River waterfront and Schuylkill waterfront. Secondly, the vibrant area you showed is a tiny portion of the size of the Boston waterfront that is vibrant. The Schuylkill waterfront is not vibrant at all and has nothing but walking trails.

Boston has rivers that are vibrant as well. Philly will never match Boston in terms of physical beauty, lower crime, better higher paying jobs, less poverty, more tourists, etc etc.

Cape Cod national profile is huge compared to the NJ shore. I know tons of people from here that go up to Cape Cod once a year. Loads of others from all over the country go there. When I would ride the fast ferry over to Cape Cod I met folks from all over the world. Can NJ beaches claim the same?

It is bizarre to me how Philly lovers and homers just bury their head in the sand about all the problems here and the lack of will by city leaders to change anything. Now they want to stop gentrification to protect poor people and allow them to stay in their section 8 housing.
You said the waterfront was "decrepit", and you haven't even been to the parks.

If anyone wants to know what's wrong with Philadelphia, look no further than this person. A person who hasn't even gone to the parks or tried to enjoy the amenities, but thinks they are so entitled to bash anyone who enjoys them.

It's bizarre to you that I think Spruce Harbor, the Cira Green, Race Street Pier, Penn Treaty and the River Banks Park is awesome?

I find it how bizarre how many entitled losers take to the internet

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 07-25-2017 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Lol how long have we been hearing about the huge upgrade to the airport? Again, still not even under construction. This is how Philly works.
Uh since they announced it on May 29th? I would put money down that I know the airport 100% better than you do

Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm just guessing here, but I think a large part of the reason you get the first group of people is because for most of the country Philadelphia isn't seen as a tourist destination. Growing up in Idaho, I knew people who vacationed in NYC, Boston and DC but no one who went to Philly. Flying out of Boise isn't cheap, so people usually go for the biggest attractions and most people never get to option number 4 on the list.

Even living in Dallas, where flights are lot cheaper, I cant think of a single person I know who goes to Philadelphia for a long weekend like they do with Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, LA or even Boston.

There is a reason for this. It is because it offers really nothing that can't be had in those other cities. I have friends in Kansas City. They have been here to visit me. Now, they ask me to meet them in DC and NYC cause they find Philly less attractive than and having less things to do than those cities.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
There is a reason for this. It is because it offers really nothing that can't be had in those other cities. I have friends in Kansas City. They have been here to visit me. Now, they ask me to meet them in DC and NYC cause they find Philly less attractive than and having less things to do than those cities.
Maybe their tour guide is lacking? Where do you go Tom Falcons? Tell us how knowledgeable you are that we all hold bizarre opinions?

Tell us why the food critics from the Washington post ranked Philadelphia higher than their own city last year?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Uh since they announced it on May 29th? I would put money down that I know the airport 100% better than you do

Wrong, they have been talking about those massive upgrades for ten years now.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,026 times
Quote:
You seem to know so much about Philly's offerings. Why don't you list out the things to do between Philly and Boston. We'd all love to gain a tangible understanding of how Boston has so much more than Philly to offer, and how those things are that much more attractive.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:

If anyone wants to know what's wrong with Philadelphia, look no further than this person. A person who hasn't even gone to the parks or tried to enjoy the amenities, but thinks they are so entitled to bash anyone who enjoys them.

It's bizarre to you that I think Spruce Harbor, the Cira Green, and the River Banks Park is awesome?

I find it how bizarre how many entitled losers take to the internet

First off, I live in the Graduate Hospital area and have for years. I've been to every park in this city and then some. Far more than you I'm sure. I played softball in Fairmount Park for years, etc.

Keep dreaming about how the whole country has the wrong idea about Philly. I go to lunch almost every day to Reading Terminal. I talk to tourists at conventions and from Europe, etc. Guess what? Sure they thought the city was nice enough, but when I ask if they will return, they usually reply with something like "I really want to go to DC or NY" blah blah.

Ten years from now the same ideas here will be talked about and still Philly will not be a national tourist draw like those other cities, will still have loads of poverty and crime (re shooting in Rittenhouse Square how nice) and onerous taxes and poor city leadership. Mayor Kenney is a gem isn't he? I'm sure you think so.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:12 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not sure why this turned into a conversation on race so quickly. From my experience, people who struggle in Philly sometimes move away and like it better for a couple reasons:

1. They lived in older row-home neighborhoods, didn't have much money, and had higher crime.
2. They move to another city like Atlanta that is more spread out, get a yard, and lower crime as part of the move.

I can understand why people might begrudge Philly in this scenario. However, I've also seen cases where the above is the initial impression and then people start to miss the vibrant, urban, walkable community they moved from.

Regardless, there are so many scenarios. Older industrial cities also suffer from crime-ridden perceptions (e.g. Newark). Not everything is about race.
When someone is making comparisons to Newark, Camden etc...it is about race. Sorry. Oh, and the crime issue in Philly is about race as well. Sorry.

Your post is confusing: people move from Philly because they live in old row homes, don't have $$, and crime is an issue; they move to an area around Atlanta for a yard, sprawl, and lower crime; then they miss the vibrant, walkable community they moved from?

Why is Atlanta so cheap to live in and around, as the vast majority of people live around Atlanta?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:18 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
When I lived in Delaware in the mid-1980s, the handful of times I came to Philly, the Schuylkill was a forgotten river overgrown with brush. This was kinda fitting because Schuylkill literally means "hidden river" in Dutch. Except for fishing out a couple of bodies now and then, no one ventured there.

The Schuylkill wasn't even on my radar when we moved here in 2011 but our wandering about eventually took us over in that direction. I was quite surprised to find it to be a lovely public area with lots of runners and bikers along with people sunning themselves along the grassy banks. The new boardwalk only upped the ante. Who ever dreamed it would attract tourists who pay to explore the river in tour boats.

The Schuylkill will never be the Charles. On the other hand, there is no 20 mile trail to Valley Forge in Boston, is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City