Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rail system?
Baltimore 10 8.85%
Cleveland 10 8.85%
Pittsburgh 9 7.96%
St Louis 9 7.96%
Minneapolis/St Paul 13 11.50%
Seattle 16 14.16%
Portland 34 30.09%
Other 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM

730 posts, read 814,937 times

Advertisements

Salt Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:26 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The person who voted other, what city would that be?
Perhaps Buffalo. It's only one line, but it's attractive and fairly efficient. Definitely not the best though.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Denver, San Diego and SLC are probably good choices for other.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 PM

176 posts, read 146,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Seattle has the closest one to a big city metro system as their light rail has a number subway stations through the city's core. Seattle has been a latecomer in the rail networks, but they have a big plans locked in for a full build out through the city and the suburbs.

All of the the light rail stations in Seattle between Chinatown/Int'l District and through downtown, Capital Hill, and the U District are all subway. Beacon Hill station is subway station as well. They are adding a second subway line through the core of the city as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe_xEcbtVM
I was referring to heavy rail rapid transit. I'm sorry for the poor terminology; I'm from New York so that type of transit if referred to as a subway. Heavy rail rapid transit is only present in Baltimore and Cleveland of the cities listed.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 PM

176 posts, read 146,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
St. Louis' system has a lot of subways too, no street running sections. Seattle is not unique in that regard. In fact, I think all of these cities besides Minneapolis/St. Paul has subways. I believe even Minneapolis' system has stations that are below grade though.
Minneapolis/St. Paul has a short underground segment beneath the airport on the Blue/Hiawatha Line.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
1. Portland
2. Seattle
3. Minneapolis
4. St. Louis
5. Baltimore
6. Pittsburgh
7. Cleveland
How do you figure St Louis and Pitt are better than Cleveland? Clevelands Blue/Green line is about equal to the STL system and Pitt system plus they have an additional Heavy Rail Line.
Clevelands Rail is pretty well intergrates into its BRT system, as does Pitt.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
How do you figure St Louis and Pitt are better than Cleveland? Clevelands Blue/Green line is about equal to the STL system and Pitt system plus they have an additional Heavy Rail Line.
Clevelands Rail is pretty well intergrates into its BRT system, as does Pitt.
St. Louis's rail system has MUCH higher ridership than both Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

And yeah, I know the list I link to doesn't include Cleveland's heavy rail line, but even if you add that STL still has much higher ridership.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:28 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
St. Louis's rail system has MUCH higher ridership than both Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

And yeah, I know the list I link to doesn't include Cleveland's heavy rail line, but even if you add that STL still has much higher ridership.

Its odd, the actual pages for the Red Line and Cleveland Light Rail say ridership combined is about 37,000/day, (comparable with 44K) while those list combine for 24,000/day.

While Ridership shows the utilization it doesn't necessarily show the actual quality of the system. I think that the Cleveland System has better coverage allowing east west and North South travel through the major axis of the city, while currently St Louis has basically an East-West line, and Pittsburgh basically has a North-South Line.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Regardless of actual ridership numbers, I think it is pretty clear that Portland has the best rail system with Seattle gaining on it. Portland kicks the butt of many larger cities including all the sunbelt cities and you could make an argument has a better system than LA as well although obviously much smaller.

The fact that more low income people in Cleveland or St Louis or Baltimore might use their rail out of necessity does not mean that they have better systems.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
When many people think of rail systems, they only consider heavy rail and light rail. However, commuter rail and intercity rail are also forms of rail transit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
I was referring to heavy rail rapid transit. I'm sorry for the poor terminology; I'm from New York so that type of transit if referred to as a subway. Heavy rail rapid transit is only present in Baltimore and Cleveland of the cities listed.
Portland has commuter rail that in fact qualifies as heavy rail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WES_Commuter_Rail

However I hadn't really thought about that in my rankings at all. I was simply considering movement around the city (again as a visitor) didnt really consider connectivity from the suburbs. I would disregard intercity rail though as that is not how I interpret the spirit of the question...to me it's about mobility within the city. But that's just me.

Reviewing my rankings, the only change I would make as a result of the commuter rail argument is bumping Baltimore up just ahead of MSP but still well below Seattle. I was impressed with Baltimore's options, but still felt that it's connectivity and comprehensiveness to the areas we wanted to go were very lacking. Not to mention that literally NO ONE ELSE was in sight each time we took the subway, and very few on the light rail. During my tours of Bmore I used the Charm City Circulator more than I used the rail system, and I used uber twice as often. TBH the only practical reason for riding the rail lines was to actually see what it was like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City