Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
South is on ice! 24 degrees in Houston in the afternoon is a disgrace for this sunbelt city. LA will never see the daylight of this kind of cold weather despite being so far north in the latitude from Houston.
The US isn't a very good country if you are looking for productive QOL climates. Just too extreme:

The entire East is mired by cold waves like the one affecting Houston currently: much colder temps than should happen for the latitude. Even in South Florida, the temperatures, while still remaining in mild/warm levels, still get colder than what they should be for the latitude.

The West is mostly high in elevation, reducing mild winter climates to small slivers of lowland (SoCal, lower Arizona). The same pattern that brings deep cold to the South is the one that brings excessive drought to the West: SoCal is much more drought prone than most Med climates around the world.

Hopefully, this dipole pattern is just a temporary effect of global warming, that will then lead to a full blown warm up for the entire country. The US will then become more habitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 PM

375 posts, read 331,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The entire East is mired by cold waves like the one affecting Houston currently: much colder temps than should happen for the latitude. Even in South Florida, the temperatures, while still remaining in mild/warm levels, still get colder than what they should be for the latitude.
Yes, but Houston is taking it unnecessarily harsh. As of 12:31pm (UTC - 5), Houston has a forecast of 27/19 F for Tuesday. I'm even speechless as I would have assumed that'd be impossible. Looking at neighboring New Orleans, and the same forecast gives 43/21. Cold yes, but noticeably warmer than Houston and it's only 5 hours away by drive. Miami is 76/45 and then 64/54 the next day before it's back into the 70s. Jacksonville, FL which is north of Houston has a forecast of 52/26 and then 49/30 before it returns back to the 50s.

It's quite strange but Houston and Texas in general must be getting walloped. Austin is 28/18, and Brownsville (same latitude as Miami) is snowing at 37/30. Remarkable.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:11 PM

405 posts, read 475,874 times
Los Angeles - besides the fire situations, nearly perfect weather year-round IMO.
Miami - can get hot/hurricanes, but winters are a breeze and I don't mind humidity and rain so..
Houston
Dallas
Atlanta
Washington
SF
Philly/NY
Boston
Chicago/Detroit - Chicago is a GREAT city though so it makes up for it, and would like to visit Detroit someday

Old 01-17-2018, 12:16 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
My ranking would be:

1. LA
2. SF
3. Atlanta
4. Miami
5. Dallas
6. Houston
7. NYC
8. DC
9. Philly
10. Boston
11. Chicago
12. Detroit
What makes NYC's climate better than DC or Philly?

Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
What makes NYC's climate better than DC or Philly?
There's little difference I suppose but I've gone through summers in DC and the humidity was terrible and I suspect NYC wouldn't be quite so oppressive in the summer than DC or Philly. Admittedly these 3 or so close that you can mix and match them without a huge difference. LA & SF are by far the best climates on this list IMO, the rest are a coin toss.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:27 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Yes, but Houston is taking it unnecessarily harsh. As of 12:31pm (UTC - 5), Houston has a forecast of 27/19 F for Tuesday. I'm even speechless as I would have assumed that'd be impossible. Looking at neighboring New Orleans, and the same forecast gives 43/21. Cold yes, but noticeably warmer than Houston and it's only 5 hours away by drive.
That's just the timing difference regarding the frontal passage, given the west-to-east motion. All that happened was that the front crossed Houston during the early morning hours before sunrise, whereas it reached New Orleans later during the afternoon. This means that the high temperature for Houston on 1/16 occurred during the early morning hours (it was low 40s/upper 30s), with temps dropping during the day to 27F, while New Orleans had a chance to maintain some prefrontal "warmth" during the day at 43F before getting hit. The Weather Channel forecasts that you show only use afternoon temps for highs, so they won't capture this full picture.

The front has cleared New Orleans now, and they are now at 26F with snowfall on the ground. It remains to be seen whether the low temperatures will materialize.

Quote:
Miami is 76/45 and then 64/54 the next day before it's back into the 70s. Jacksonville, FL which is north of Houston has a forecast of 52/26 and then 49/30 before it returns back to the 50s.

It's quite strange but Houston and Texas in general must be getting walloped. Austin is 28/18, and Brownsville (same latitude as Miami) is snowing at 37/30. Remarkable.
On the other hand, Jacksonville is closer to the coast than Houston, but averages much more lows with temps freezing. Check up the NWS stats.

Different fronts have different trajectories, leading to different effects. In this case, the front dived in a way that brought moisture stream into Texas, creating the cloud-cover that would hold temperatures. The low-pressure system controlling the moisture probably wraps up, and takes a turn, so that Jacksonville just receives the cold front, without the moisture in place to create cloud/winter precip (thus having sun for daytime heating).

But just as there instances with Texas taking the hit, there are instances where places farther east get the hit. For instance, winter 2011-2012, there was a cold spell that gave Miami cold, while Brownsville stayed warmer. Winter 2015-2016, Jacksonville had numerous nights in the 20s (even more than Austin did), while Houston never even reached freezing that season.

Of course peninsular Florida has water moderation to dissuade their cold spells, that's a given. But nevertheless, all the east is fair game for cold deviations below their averages, relative to their latitude and elevation: each cold snap has different trajectories, but the point stands regardless.

Last edited by Texyn; 01-17-2018 at 12:38 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
There's little difference I suppose but I've gone through summers in DC and the humidity was terrible and I suspect NYC wouldn't be quite so oppressive in the summer than DC or Philly. Admittedly these 3 or so close that you can mix and match them without a huge difference. LA & SF are by far the best climates on this list IMO, the rest are a coin toss.
No, no: LA, by far, has the best weather in the country. SF is basically like late fall year round: only in the 50's most of the time.

The weather association said Oakland and Redwood City have the best weather in the world: mild winters and slightly warm summers.

To me: Honolulu and then LA have the best clime in the country. After that, San Diego.

World wide best climate cities: Launda, Angola and Las Pumas, Canary Island

Old 01-17-2018, 01:29 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
No, no: LA, by far, has the best weather in the country. SF is basically like late fall year round: only in the 50's most of the time.

The weather association said Oakland and Redwood City have the best weather in the world: mild winters and slightly warm summers.

To me: Honolulu and then LA have the best clime in the country. After that, San Diego.

World wide best climate cities: Launda, Angola and Las Pumas, Canary Island
I agree with you but I was referring only to the list the OP made. Best worldwide climate for me is Arequipa, Peru.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
L.A
Miami
San Francisco
Atlanta
Dallas
D.C
Philadelphia
NYC
Chicago
Boston
Detroit

Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Los Angeles - besides the fire situations, nearly perfect weather year-round IMO.
You forgot landslides, floods and earthquakes all of which can be a worse impact than the fires. I’m good in AZ, pretty much disaster free and you can still afford to put a roof over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City