Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:17 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I love Greenville but if you look closely you can see the small city bones. Notice how only two of the historic commercial buildings on Main st are more than two stories. The infill has come in beside and behind them and really bulked up downtown but the soul of a small city is still there. And that's a good thing.
Yep; it was a small mill town whose downtown, in retrospect, had the good fortune to continue to languish on through the 60's, 70's, and 80's when many buildings with pedestrian-unfriendly entrances and blank street walls were built in downtowns across America. When downtown development really began heating up in the 90's, cities began embracing better urban design and things have been looking up from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 05:18 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanenthusiastfromKC View Post
Also Lawrence, Kansas is also on my list for small cities. Also cities between 50k-100k MSA I like to call micro-cities. Anything below that population I consider a town.
1. If I'm not mistaken, the Census Bureau calls metros of that latter class "micropolitan statistical areas" (abbreviation: µSA, often not used because getting the Greek lowercase omicron is more difficult on a PC or Chromebook than on a Mac). Atchison, Kan. (Doniphan County) and Warrensburg, Mo. (Johnson County MO), both part of the Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS CSA, are two examples of µSAs near you. Lawrence (Douglas County) is not yet part of the Kansas City CSA because, as was the case for Leavenworth County in the MSA itself for many years, most of its residents work in the county at its largest employer and too few of them commute to adjacent counties in the CSA, and few workers from the CSA commute to jobs in it.

2. I'm with you on Lawrence, which also belongs to the set "cool Midwestern college towns," a collection that includes Ann Arbor, Mich.; Iowa City, Iowa; and kinda-sorta Madison, Wis., and Lincoln, Neb. ("Kinda-sorta" for those last two because they are also their respective states' capitals. They also have populations well above 100k, as does Columbia, Mo., another borderline member of the group along with Champaign-Urbana, Ill.)

3. Edited to add: Your posting handle could also describe me. Except I'm "from" Kansas City in the sense of having grown up there. I haven't lived there since 1976, but like every other KC expat I've met on the East Coast, I love the place like you wouldn't believe.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM

90 posts, read 113,866 times
2. I'm with you on Lawrence, which also belongs to the set "cool Midwestern college towns," a collection that includes Ann Arbor, Mich.; Iowa City, Iowa; and kinda-sorta Madison, Wis., and Lincoln, Neb. ("Kinda-sorta" for those last two because they are also their respective states' capitals. They also have populations well above 100k, as does Columbia, Mo., another borderline member of the group along with Champaign-Urbana, Ill.)

Yeah I would say Madison and Lincoln are really not on the same level of Lawrence, when you get to Lawrence it has the look of a small town with a city feel, for example if you walk down mass street and look to your sides there isn't going to be a single high-rise/or mini skyscraper. When you walk down state street in Madison you feel like you are in a REAL city. Not to call Lawrence fake, it's just not the same. I just really admire Lawrence and consider a very small but not micro city. Also I don't even know if I would put Lincoln on the same level as Madison. Lincoln just feels kinda dead. I would honestly compare it to Springfield IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City