Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:36 AM

28 posts, read 105,744 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would love to combine our two favorite things in the world. I love mountains, she loves water. I am a mountain biker, she is a swimmer. We'd like to try living in a city that combined both. She'd like to swim in open water 8 months of the year, so obviously we are looking further south. Mountains must be open to the public. Both must be accessible via bicycles in a reasonable amount of time. We drive too much as it is. We have both done alright living in relatively small cities, I'd say we're both pretty resourceful in finding jobs. I'm trying to avoid California because of cost of living and I hate the long work commute.

A little snow is ok, but the more sun the better. We're both northerners and would like to spend some time in an area that doesn't get sloppy and cold in the winter.

Current thoughts:

Chattanooga, TN: Still gets snow, rarely, but sloppy winters. Swimming in river.
Boise, ID: Dry most of the year, but swimming opportunities require a drive.
Carson City, NV: Close to Tahoe, but requires driving.
Lake Tahoe, CA: Nearly perfect, but expensive.
Big Bear, CA: Similar to Tahoe.
Boulder City, NV: Riding nearby, quick drive to Boulder Beach.
Some places in Puerto Rico would be ideal but safety concerns and we're not very bilingual (not that we couldn't be.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Sounds like Hawaii would be the best compromise. Arizona has lakes and mountains and is within roadtripping distance to beaches in SoCal and Sonora.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
You pretty much just described the ideal place everyone is looking for. You're gonna pay top dollar and sit in traffic in most of those places.

Have you thought about Hawaii?

As for on the mainland. Your best bets are going to be anywhere in California. Ventura County is generally cheaper than its neighbors on either side, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, but it has the same weather and amenities of beaches and mountains. But the population is much smaller than LA, so much less traffic. Central California too. The whole San Luis Obispo, Atascadero, Paso Robles stretch along the 101. I'm not sure about the cost of living there, but I can't imagine it's even close to LA or SF standards and the smaller population makes less traffic.

Honestly I can't think of any other places that don't get snow. All those cities you mentioned do get snow. Anything else in the South doesn't have mountain access, but has good swimming. At least as far as I can think of.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:19 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Impossible, outside of the tropics. Mountains, by definition will offer colder weather, even closer to the equator. Even somewhere like Bogota or Mexico City is quite cool in the summertime, due to high elevation.

I guess Hawaii is your best bet?

Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
If you think cost of living in CA is high, Hawaii will only be more so. CA is your best bet. You don't have to live in LA or SF or one of the big places with exorbitant cost of living.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 AM

28 posts, read 105,744 times
Snow isn't as much of a big deal as "sloppiness" that we get here in the Northeast. Otherwise known as freeze/thaw. Makes being outdoors during the winters months wet, cold, muddy and generally miserable. We hope for snow and below freezing temps just to harden and cover up all the mud.

More important is winter time average lows. I'd be ok with a freak blizzard if most of the time it was in the 60's during the day.

Combine that type of climate with a mountain town surrounding a lake and I'd be golden.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Most of those cities you listed, if not all, are quite chilly and snowy. I think SoCal or Hawaii would be your best bet.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Lake Havasu City, Arizona. If you're down with the "summers".

Old 10-15-2014, 09:23 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Asheville, NC

Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMapper View Post
Snow isn't as much of a big deal as "sloppiness" that we get here in the Northeast. Otherwise known as freeze/thaw. Makes being outdoors during the winters months wet, cold, muddy and generally miserable. We hope for snow and below freezing temps just to harden and cover up all the mud.

More important is winter time average lows. I'd be ok with a freak blizzard if most of the time it was in the 60's during the day.

Combine that type of climate with a mountain town surrounding a lake and I'd be golden.
Perhaps somewhere in Colorado, if that is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City