Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose which metro area fails to live up to a cosmopolitan vibe?
New York City 11 5.42%
Los Angeles 8 3.94%
Chicago 11 5.42%
Dallas/Fort Worth 34 16.75%
Houston 34 16.75%
Washington DC 5 2.46%
Miami 4 1.97%
Philadelphia 11 5.42%
Atlanta 28 13.79%
Boston 10 4.93%
Phoenix 88 43.35%
San Francisco 11 5.42%
Riverside-San Bernardino, CA 95 46.80%
Detroit 39 19.21%
Seattle 14 6.90%
Minneapolis/St Paul 20 9.85%
San Diego 24 11.82%
Tampa/St Petersburg 61 30.05%
Denver 30 14.78%
Baltimore 38 18.72%
St Louis 50 24.63%
Charlotte 64 31.53%
Orlando 68 33.50%
San Antonio 69 33.99%
Portland 26 12.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:54 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And ranks 3rd overall.
It does yeah. Still not the most diverse as claimed. Just wanted to correct that lol. I didn't vote for it, though. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
The fact that you A) have to talk about Houston is "pretty diverse" and you've "heard positives about its food scene", B) don't understand Houston has the second largest symphony/opera scene in the country, and an entire district of museums that anyone in that scene sees as top 10, and C) say the area has "middling culture" when there is literally nowhere else in the country that has a similar culture....

all tells me you know absolutely nothing about Houston. Having an opinion is fine. Having an opinion based on ignorance, and then being arrogant about it is pretty bad. Please stop misleading people.
Did you read my post before you shat all over it? Did you? You didn't, or you were so eager to respond with clenched fists that you pounded out nonsense as a response. I actually conceded and am giving Houston the benefit of the doubt on diversity and food. I have not been there, but instead of criticize, I essentially gave both areas due props. What's the problem here?

Now, when it comes to museums/culture -- this is something I am prepared to discuss -- so I did. I'm not here to write a thesis on Houston for you. It's a f*cking message board and I called out a Houston fanboi for stating - "Houston has one of the largest and best Opera, symphony, museums in the country". I guess if you mean top 10-15 but in the spirit of that poster's comment, I think they were suggesting higher. Whether you are willing to accept it or not, there is no f*cking way, that Houston is a top U.S. city for museums/symphonies/operas, at least not in the pantheon of NYC, Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, Boston and DC. You may want to think it is, but unfortunately, it is not. It's symphony is not top 10, it's museum scene, while strong, is still below any of the cities I listed. I will give you that the Houston Grand Opera is widely respected.

The title of this thread is the "Top 25 US Metros That Rank Low on Cosmopolitan Scale". It is defensible for people to say Houston scores low on this scale (culture, museums, urbanity, etc.) and it would also be defensible for someone to say Houston should not be considered as a metro that ranks low (diversity, economic vitality, dining, etc.). I was merely calling out-- fairly and objectively-- that Houston probably lacks in the formaer areas given its size. In other areas (the latter), Houston does rank well when compared to other metros.

Go troll someone else or read and understand what's someone is posting before jumping to conclusions and jumping down their throat. This is a message board.

Last edited by BigLake; 05-02-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 12:42 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would say the BEST/Most offerings in no particular order:

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. DC
5. Philadelphia
6. Boston
7. San Fran
8. Miami
9. Seattle
10. Minneapolis/Atlanta/ San Diego

WORST/LEAST offerings:
1. Riverside/ San Bernardino
2. Phoenix
3. Tampa
4. Orlando
5. Charlotte
6. St Louis
7. Houston (not bad, but for such a large city, its lacking)
8. San Antonio

The rest are in the middle.

I wasn't really rating this on which metro is the "most" cosmopolitan, because that requires a lot more factors, I was more going on offerings. However, if you were basing this on being cosmopolitan, the top 10 would largely remain the same.
I mostly agree with your list, but with a couple changes:

1. Swap Houston for San Diego.

2. Replace Seattle with Detroit.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:08 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Did you read my post before you shat all over it? Did you? You didn't, or you were so eager to respond with clenched fists that you pounded out nonsense as a response. I actually conceded and am giving Houston the benefit of the doubt on diversity and food. I have not been there, but instead of criticize, I essentially gave both areas due props. What's the problem here?

Now, when it comes to museums/culture -- this is something I am prepared to discuss -- so I did. I'm not here to write a thesis on Houston for you. It's a f*cking message board and I called out a Houston fanboi for stating - "Houston has one of the largest and best Opera, symphony, museums in the country". I guess if you mean top 10-15 but in the spirit of that poster's comment, I think they were suggesting higher. Whether you are willing to accept it or not, there is no f*cking way, that Houston is a top U.S. city for museums/symphonies/operas, at least not in the pantheon of NYC, Chicago, LA, Philadelphia, Boston and DC. You may want to think it is, but unfortunately, it is not. It's symphony is not top 10, it's museum scene, while strong, is still below any of the cities I listed. I will give you that the Houston Grand Opera is widely respected.

The title of this thread is the "Top 25 US Metros That Rank Low on Cosmopolitan Scale". It is defensible for people to say Houston scores low on this scale (culture, museums, urbanity, etc.) and it would also be defensible for someone to say Houston should not be considered as a metro that ranks low (diversity, economic vitality, dining, etc.). I was merely calling out-- fairly and objectively-- that Houston probably lacks in the formaer areas given its size. In other areas (the latter), Houston does rank well when compared to other metros.

Go troll someone else or read and understand what's someone is posting before jumping to conclusions and jumping down their throat. This is a message board.
For a newer city, I think Houston performs pretty well in those areas. When it comes to thinks like culture, the arts, museums, etc., a city's age plays just as much of a role, if not more, than its size. That's the main reason why cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh often outperform larger cities in those categories.

I think Houston deserves more credit for its museums though, particularly its art museums. No it's not on the level of NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, Philly, and Boston, but it seems to be right below those.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:59 AM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I mostly agree with your list, but with a couple changes:

1. Swap Houston for San Diego.

2. Replace Seattle with Detroit.
Come on guys, let make serious posts!

Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Come on guys, let make serious posts!
Everyone's entitled to state their own opinion, even if you have a problem with them (not that I care).

Old 05-03-2018, 01:19 PM

342 posts, read 318,438 times
Who voted NYC or Philadelphia as lacking cosmopolitan vibe over choice like Phoenix, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, etc.?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:07 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey340 View Post
Who voted NYC or Philadelphia as lacking cosmopolitan vibe over choice like Phoenix, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, etc.?
I can understand your question regarding New York but why Philadelphia? Is it that much more cosmopolitan than Houston, Dallas, and probably Phoenix according to the criteria?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:47 PM

591 posts, read 820,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Everyone's entitled to state their own opinion, even if you have a problem with them (not that I care).
Please state your points to defend Detroit being more cosmopolitan than Seattle. Please and thank you.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:19 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can understand your question regarding New York but why Philadelphia? Is it that much more cosmopolitan than Houston, Dallas, and probably Phoenix according to the criteria?
I believe it is. Also keep in mind that Philadelphia is by far the smallest city and metro area (square mileage wise).
The Philadelphia area is one of the most developed cohesive metro regions in the nation, across all categories.

Phoenix is clearly a tier below Philadelphia, Dallas, and Houston. And I would still place Houston and Dallas below Philadelphia when weighing the metrics. The sheer size of each city has nothing to do with, because both Boston and DC are among the most cosmopolitan in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City