Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Oklahoma City 32 32.65%
Memphis 29 29.59%
Birmingham 37 37.76%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times

Advertisements

These three Southern cities share a lot in common. All three are around the same size and are barely holding their own in terms of growth even while other cities in the region are booming. All three cities have somewhat negative perceptions in the eyes of most albeit each for different reasons. All three typically get mentioned when talking about underrated cities and possible future boomtowns yet they each have issues that are holding them back from becoming what they could be.

Which one of these cities do you prefer and why? Which city do you think has the most untapped potential and what do you think would happen for it to really take off?

I voted Memphis. The city has so much untapped potential, especially relating to it's history and cultural legacy. Tennessee also has the most functional state government out of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 02:02 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
These three Southern cities share a lot in common. All three are around the same size and are barely holding their own in terms of growth even while other cities in the region are booming.
This is false. lol

Old 05-04-2018, 06:12 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,229,983 times
birmingham and memphis are two of the most similar cities in the south.

similar metro sizes, civil rights histories, downtowns, etc.

memphis, of course, has a river and a larger tourism component due to graceland and beale street.

birmingham, i would argue, has the more pleasant scenery with its hills and red mountain as a backdrop.

memphis is slightly better known for its BBQ, but otherwise i think birmingham has the more reputable food scene.

both have an undeniable grit and chip on their shoulder, and both are very underrated around here.

i've never been to oklahoma city, so i'll refrain from taking the poll.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:27 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
"Which one of these cities do you prefer and why?" - Birmingham, BETTER Neighborhoods, Metro Area, Location, Outdoor Activities, and Topography. (RIP to the Hiker who fell off Ruffner Mountain)

"Which city do you think has the most untapped potential and what do you think would happen for it to really take off?" - Birmingham, and Support.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Birmingham.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:06 AM

3,156 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Birmingham (which receives my vote) is not very impressive in terms of its rate of population growth, but it's a nice place as far as regional amenities and topography are concerned. The economy is healthy and well rounded these days, including one of the top medical research complexes in the country affiliated with UAB. Memphis and Oklahoma City have comparably flatter terrain and less forest coverage (particularly OKC).

Oklahoma City deserves credit for its above average growth however, and tends to perform rather well during national recessions with its energy intensive economy. The area has less to work with in terms of a historic urban fabric than most other large metros, but it's definitely evolving and has some attractive satellite cities (Norman and Edmond).

I think Memphis is falling the most short of its potential, as the crime and poverty rates are unfortunately among the nation's worst. They have a much more substantial urban core than OKC however, and offer a more obvious attraction for tourists than the other two cities.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Birmingham and Memphis are the same city in several aspects...

To me, they are mostly indistinguishable, except for the fact that I am family-tied to Memphis. I like Birminghams location, and it's downtown better. Memphis is a little bigger, but I think Birmingham has greater charm (this may be an adverse effect if my familiarity with Memphis)...

I wouldn't want to live in either, but I've already done Memphis, so I'll go with the lesser-known evil here and pick Birmingham...

OKC is not even on my radar and I'd take both Memphis and Birmingham running away over OKC...

Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Birmingham and Memphis are the same city in several aspects...To me, they are mostly indistinguishable, except for the fact that I am family-tied to Memphis. I like Birminghams location, and it's downtown better. Memphis is a little bigger, but I think Birmingham has greater charm (this may be an adverse effect if my familiarity with Memphis)...
Our perspective is similar in that I’ve lived in Birmingham and feel a sense of been there done that. So for that very reason, I’d be more inclined to choose Memphis given the choices. But I must admit, I’ve always been in the minority whose never seen Birmingham and Memphis as physically similar at all. Similar histories and civic government yes, but in appearance and feel?

To truly tap into my unadulterated impression of Memphis, I have to revert back to visits as a Birmingham resident prior to even joining C-D. Memphis reminded me most of a watered down New Orleans, even culturally. I think of trolleys, the MS River, and partygoers walking their respective entertainment zones. Culturally Birmingham and Memphis are vastly different.

The one city that reminds me most of Birmingham would have to be Chattanooga. They have a similar heavy industry feel and they’re both quite hilly although Chatt’s are considerably larger. The accents are also closer than either is to that of Memphians for sure.

Had I not lived in Birmingham prior, I’d choose it over Memphis and OKC. Birmingham’s monied areas feel more exclusive than anything I’ve seen in Memphis, although that’s debatable. I honestly believe Memphis has more charm, but I’ve always seen Birmingham as a nicer place.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Okc

Old 05-08-2018, 06:55 AM

3,156 posts, read 2,206,134 times
A few highlights from Census data comparisons of the 3 metropolitan areas: https://census.missouri.edu/acs/prof...0|31000US13820

* Birmingham has an older population than either Memphis or Oklahoma City.
* Memphis stands out nationally in having relatively equal white and black populations. Oklahoma City is the closest to national averages for all major races/ethnic groups.
* Oklahoma City has the highest income levels of the three and Memphis the lowest.
* Memphis has considerably higher poverty than the other two metros, especially among children, with Birmingham a little higher than Oklahoma City.
* The three metros' long term unemployment rates are spaced pretty far apart - with OKC lowest and MEM highest.
* Birmingham definitely has the longest commutes. Maybe OKC and MEM are helped in this regard by having more of a regional grid system for their road networks. BHM is more like a smaller ATL in terms of its less orderly layout.
* Memphis has considerably fewer white collar professionals and more blue collar transportation workers per capita. Oklahoma City has more employment in government and mining (i.e. oil & gas) sectors.
* Memphis is well behind the other two metro areas in its share of two parent family households. It also has a far greater share of never married residents.
* Oklahoma City and Birmingham are both slightly better educated than Memphis.
* Oklahoma City leads for the share of foreign born residents, with Birmingham coming last. Birmingham also has a much larger share of residents born in the same state, but this metric is likely skewed in Memphis as it is a multi-state metro area.
* Birmingham has by far the highest share of owner occupied housing, and Memphis the lowest.
* Oklahoma City has a much lower share of housing built in the '90s and more built since 2010 ... maybe influenced by destruction and rebuilding from tornadoes in certain areas?
* Birmingham has the highest median housing value and Memphis the lowest, but all three are very affordable by national standards.

Just looking at the big picture ... these statistics are as a whole not very flattering for Memphis. There are some very desirable parts of the metro area (i.e. east Memphis, Germantown, Collierville) but the data shows it is consistently less prosperous than Birmingham or Oklahoma City, neither of which are outstanding by national standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City