Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Urbanity comparison, which one?
Boston 34 53.13%
Toronto 30 46.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times

Advertisements

Urbanity Comparison: Boston versus Toronto

Lets keep this to the core 25, 50, and 100 square mile areas. Basically the central core of the city and the encompassing adjacent areas that continue the urban fabric. We wont really have a use for suburbs, so we can refrain from them.

I think this is a good match. I think these two are basically on equal footing in a lot of ways. Each one does a few things better than the other and each one has room to grow and weaknesses to address.

The criteria list is as followed:

- Transit access

- Pedestrian friendly design

- Access to amenities such as food, entertainment, parks

- Residential population / housing

- Better and more cohesive urban design
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 02:15 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Urbanity Comparison: Boston versus Toronto

Lets keep this to the core 25, 50, and 100 square mile areas. Basically the central core of the city and the encompassing adjacent areas that continue the urban fabric. We wont really have a use for suburbs, so we can refrain from them.

I think this is a good match. I think these two are basically on equal footing in a lot of ways. Each one does a few things better than the other and each one has room to grow and weaknesses to address.

The criteria list is as followed:

- Transit access

- Pedestrian friendly design

- Access to amenities such as food, entertainment, parks

- Residential population / housing

- Better and more cohesive urban design
I’m going with Boston. Toronto has leafy single family neighborhoods not too far from the urban core.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 PM

504 posts, read 616,338 times
Boston seems to stay more consistently urban as you leave the core whereas Toronto seems to be a lot less consistent.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:49 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I’m going with Boston. Toronto has leafy single family neighborhoods not too far from the urban core.
So does Boston.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:57 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Toronto's inner 25 square miles would have approximately 650,000 people and its inner 50 square miles about 1000,000 people.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:02 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
I remember someone here finding Boston too diffuse...like if you were going out you’d be maybe in the south end for dinner but then have a long walk or whatever to get to the movie you wanted to see in Coolidge corner and then another long walk to Ryles in Inman square and after that another walk for the 2 am closing back in Boston, etc. Where in Toronto, he said, it’s all there in a concentrated area.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Toronto is the much larger city no doubt, closer to Chicago than Boston, you can argue style and stuff but Toronto is much Denser and roughly equal Transit, Boston may be a bit more walkable, especially in its core/around squares.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
So does Boston.
It does? Where?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:10 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Tough to pick. Both very urban in makeup, but very different in delivery.. Toronto being a lot like Chicago, Boston being a lot like San Francisco.

It's hard to argue against the substantial downtown/financial district in Toronto, but hard to argue against the residential density and walk-ability of Boston. In Boston, it's urbanity spills into the surrounding suburbs- Somerville, MA for example is actually more dense than the city of Toronto. For that reason, I'm rolling Boston.

Love both - Two of the very nicest cities in North America.

Last edited by mwj119; 05-21-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
- Transit access: Toronto's bus system is more extensive than Boston as far as coverage is concerned. Boston's train system is more extensive than Toronto's. Personally I prefer train service to bus, but lets call this one a draw: Tie

- Pedestrian friendly design: I find Boston to be the more pedestrian friendly city. More pedestrian only streets and areas, which is an area that Toronto leaves alot to be desired. Advantage: Boston.

- Access to amenities such as food, entertainment, parks: I prefer the Boston park system to Toronto. Toronto's entertainment options are quite extensive, while at the same time being very heavily concentrated in the core. Boston is so compact and walkable that you can access areas that are not technically in the core, but I still give the slight advantage to: Toronto.

- Residential population / housing: Toronto just has the higher downtown population, since it is a larger city. No debating here: Toronto.

- Better and more cohesive urban design: This is where Boston shines. If just comparing the core areas Boston has considerably less dead spots than Toronto. Toronto is obviously infilling those areas at a rapid clip, but Boston is hardly standing still itself. For example watch this video of the seaport. https://www.wsdevelopment.com/our-pr...ton-seaport-2/

Even without the infill projects to connect the core areas to each other I give the advantage to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City