Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
In terms of urban identity, Philly actually does its own thing while Queens is pretty much obscured in Manhattan’s shadow. Brooklyn is the only other borough that can claim some sort of recognizable identity outside of the NY metro.
Not sure what this has to do with the topic but okay.

TBH Queens probably fits as much into America's popular consciousness as Philadelphia with shows like King of Queens and Ugly Betty being set in Queens, not to mention several iconic films set in the borough such as Coming to America, Spiderman and Captain America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 09:25 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODv-UBWkx0

Old 06-25-2018, 10:40 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Good point.

I don't even find Queens to be that autocentric, I'm in Southeast Queens a lot (which is one of the more autocentric parts of the borough) and many people do not own cars. They even have accordion buses going through SE Queens now.

And the neighborhoods with subway access are generally not autocentric at all. I would argue that most, if not all of the neighborhoods along the 7 train are extremely urban. Does Philly have any residential neighborhoods as intense as Jackson Heights and Elmhurst?
Queens as a whole isn't very autocentric. Queens even in its more suburban parts that are served just by buses and commuter rail, which is maybe half the borough by area (outside of airports and parks) though not population, aren't all that autocentric.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Queens as a whole isn't very autocentric. Queens even in its more suburban parts that are served just by buses and commuter rail, which is maybe half the borough by area (outside of airports and parks) though not population, aren't all that autocentric.
And most of the bus routes run 24/7 if I'm not mistaken.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Interesting that outside of Center City the census tract with the highest population density in Philly is not in University City (46,000 p/sm and 41,000 p/sm, 2010) but two tracts in Newbold and Point Breeze in South Philly with 53,000 p/sm and 48,000 p/sm. 6th-9th Streets between Snyder and Washington Aves also in South Philly is 50,000 p/sm 2010. 3rd-6th St between Snyder and Washington is 45,000 p/sm.

Fairmount/Art Museum neighborhoods reach 41,000 p/sm while Kensington/Fishtown reaches 40,000 p/sm. Hunting Park neighborhood in North Philly also reaches over 40,000 p/sm. Lawncrest/Oxford Circle in The Northeast reaches 37,000 p/sm. Cobbs Creek in West Philly is 36,000 p/sm. Olney reaches 34,000 p/sm and East Germantown 27,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/projects/cens...l?ref=nyregion

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-25-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's autocentric compared to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bronx but still not very autocentric at all.

Percentage of Households without a Vehicle

Manhattan - 77.3%
Brooklyn - 59.1%
Bronx - 58.8%
Queens - 37.5%
DC - 36.4%
Boston - 34.8%
Philly - 31.0%
San Francisco - 30.4%
Chicago - 26.9%
Staten Island - 17.4%
Seattle - 16.8%

Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM

Also interesting when you look at car ownership among single occupancy households.

Manhattan - 87.2%
Brooklyn - 73.5%
Bronx - 72.9%
Queens - 56.8%
Boston - 51.1%
San Francisco - 49.5%
DC - 49.3%
Philly - 44.4%
Chicago - 43.6%
Staten Island - 37.4%
Seattle - 30.6%

Old 06-25-2018, 12:03 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

TBH Queens probably fits as much into America's popular consciousness as Philadelphia with shows like King of Queens and Ugly Betty being set in Queens, not to mention several iconic films set in the borough such as Coming to America, Spiderman and Captain America.
CD threads do stray from strict adherence to topic from time to time, as I've noticed.

As for the action movies and sitcoms (King of Queens aside), I never made any linkage of those you mention to Queens. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention? The only real identity of Queens I have is of Archie Bunker (I'm old enough to remember him prior to syndication). Philly can claim its status as the birthplace of the nation as its core identity when it comes to holding a place in the nation's consciousness. Doesn't every child born in the US learn, at some point, about the Declaration of Independence? I'd say that carries a bit more cachet and tourist appeal than, let's say, King of Queens.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Queens is the 3rd at best know New York Borough. The Bronx may be better know cause of the Bronx Bombers. Hell right now Staten Island has the Impractical Jokers.

Does Coming to America, Spiderman or Captain America make it clear they are in Queens or are they just in "New York"

Old 06-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
CD threads do stray from strict adherence to topic from time to time, as I've noticed.
Yeah, but you're intentionally trying to change the subject. It's kinda lame.

Quote:
Philly can claim its status as the birthplace of the nation as its core identity when it comes to holding a place in the nation's consciousness. Doesn't every child born in the US learn, at some point, about the Declaration of Independence? I'd say that carries a bit more cachet and tourist appeal than, let's say, King of Queens.
The flipside to this is that most people growing up outside of the U.S. don't learn much if anything about the American Revolution. So the special place that Independence Hall has in the minds of Americans doesn't resonate much with the rest of the world. It could be argued that Queens has more cachet than Philly does internationally since Queens is one of the world's great immigrant magnets whereas Philly struggles to get a trickle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City