Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most quintessentially southern?
Charlotte 11 8.73%
Raleigh 9 7.14%
Richmond 23 18.25%
Hampton Roads 3 2.38%
Jacksonville 8 6.35%
Nashville 18 14.29%
Memphis 41 32.54%
New Orleans 14 11.11%
Austin 4 3.17%
San Antonio 1 0.79%
Birmingham 69 54.76%
Louisville 12 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Of the cities that are undeniably Southern, Charlotte is the one where the Southern culture is the most diluted. First of all, unlike New Orleans, Atlanta, etc it wasn't a huge metro area until the second half of the 20th century so it has less Old South culture. Very few plantations around compared to other parts of the South, no large tracts of historic antebellum architecture to the extent of NO, Charleston, Savannah, etc. Also because of recent growth a significant part of the population do not have ties to the South originally. Many people are northern transplants or immigrants who don't have ancestors who fought in the war and hence don't respect the war and the Confederate heroes and Southern history the way a native Southerner would.
Charlotte doesn't have large tracts of antebellum architecture mostly due to its location in the Piedmont; those are mostly found in the coastal plain. You won't find too much of that around Atlanta either.

Quote:
Charlotte is also one of the more liberal cities in the South. For me, quintessentially Southern aspects include conservatism and Christianity. While Louisiana's Cajun country is more Catholic, its still SERIOUS Catholic where people are devout in their religion, whereas in places like Charlotte and Atlanta you see more of the secular liberalism of the North. For example a city like Lafayette may not be the true Bible Belt because of its Catholicism, but they would never promote allowing men into women's bathrooms like Charlotte has which is what triggered the NC laws to begin with.
Charlotte is a left-leaning city but it's not *quite* as liberal as you portray.

I'm not arguing that it's the most quintessentially Southern city in this poll because I don't believe it is, but I was just addressing your two premises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 AM

2,446 posts, read 2,231,492 times
Speaking of antebellum architecture... I think people might be surprised to hear that Birmingham was founded after the Civil War.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:03 PM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
I placed each city in categories with comments if necessary. All cities within a category are more or less comparable in terms of how Southern they feel.

Highly Southern:
Birmingham (archetype of the South)
Memphis
New Orleans (this one is complicated; it's not traditional Southern, but I'd still say it mostly has a Southern feel, but more cosmopolitan and diverse)
Hampton Roads

More Southern than Not:
Richmond
Charlotte (not that Southern, but easy availability of some Southern foods, although not BBQ so much, and having the New South museum, as well as general vibe, makes it more Southern than not to me; probably a touch more southern than Atlanta, which I'd also probably put in this category).
Louisville (debatable here or the one below)

Less Southern than Southern:
Raleigh
Nashville (more transplants compared with Louisville, and also most of the development is rather recent , giving it a less Southern feel to me overall).
Jacksonville (tough one to place; is Southern somewhat, but mostly has a general Floridian vibe to me, which is a different thing; still by FL standards, it's rather Southern)

Not Southern:
Austin
San Antonio

*I've been to all but Hampton Roads at least in passing.

Old 08-02-2018, 03:10 PM

89 posts, read 120,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
I placed each city in categories with comments if necessary. All cities within a category are more or less comparable in terms of how Southern they feel.

Highly Southern:
Memphis
New Orleans (this one is complicated; it's not traditional Southern, but I'd still say it mostly has a Southern feel, but more cosmopolitan and diverse)
Hampton Roads

More Southern than Not:
Richmond
Charlotte (not that Southern, but easy availability of some Southern foods, although not BBQ so much, and having the New South museum, as well as general vibe, makes it more Southern than not to me; probably a touch more southern than Atlanta, which I'd also probably put in this category).

Raleigh
Nashville (more transplants compared with Louisville, and also most of the development is rather recent , giving it a less Southern feel to me overall).
Jacksonville (tough one to place; is Southern somewhat, but mostly has a general Floridian vibe to me, which is a different thing; still by FL standards, it's rather Southern)

Not Southern:
Austin
San Antonio

Yeah reading this I was a little puzzled that you’d put Hampton Roads in the most southern category. We can tell you definitely haven’t been here. Norfolk alone is arguably one of the most urban cities in the south. Atleast after Richmond. (Charleston, NoLa & Savannah are all arguable)

Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romedot View Post
Yeah reading this I was a little puzzled that you’d put Hampton Roads in the most southern category. We can tell you definitely haven’t been here. Norfolk alone is arguably one of the most urban cities in the south. Atleast after Richmond. (Charleston, NoLa & Savannah are all arguable)
They aren't, ESPECIALLY New Orleans. It's widely considered the most urban city in the South.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times
Lol I still don’t know what the hell these people mean by “Southern..”

Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times
Quote:
I've been to all but Hampton Roads at least in passing.
So what is it about Hampton Roads that made you consider it highly southern in passing?

Old 08-03-2018, 01:10 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I’m laughing because a lot of you don’t know what Southern means or is.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Quote:

Highly Southern:
Memphis
Hampton Roads

More Southern than Not:
Richmond

Raleigh

Not Southern:
Austin
San Antonio

Calling Hampton Roads "highly southern" is the perfect example of folks on CD generalizing about places they've never been to. I enjoy perusing the threads on CD but know in the back of my mind that alot of the posts are highly suspect. There should be a BS meter to out some of these posters.....

Old 08-03-2018, 05:28 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:

Highly Southern:
Memphis
Hampton Roads

More Southern than Not:
Richmond

Raleigh

Not Southern:
Austin
San Antonio

^^^^^^
Hell-to-the-no.

Corrected...

Highly Southern:
Birmingham
Memphis
New Orleans
Nashville

More Southern than Not:
Richmond
Charlotte
Louisville
Raleigh
Jacksonville
Hampton Roads

Not Southern:
Austin
San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City