Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM

233 posts, read 380,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Wait, you're in Oxnard but not an Ole Miss fan? You had great parents.

You're not the first person to confuse/connect Oxnard, CA (my hometown) with Oxford, MS or Oxford University.... I'm an LSU fan because my moms side of the family is from Louisiana and my dads side is from Houston which has a lot of LSU ties also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Then there's the discussion over who owns the mascots. Who owns "Tigers"? Who owns "Eagles"? Who owns "Bulldogs"?......
I think the most contentious name will be Tigers. Bring on the battle among LSU, Auburn & Clemson.
You realize there are now four Tiger teams in the SEC now that Mizzou (much more widely used than "MU" to refer to the University of Missouri; you'll even find the word on MU's home page now) bolted the Big 12 (damn those Texans) for the SEC?

And with that, they wrecked one of the most spirited college football rivalries in the Heartland: MU-KU (one of the few times when the initials are used for Mizzou, mainly for balance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
unquestionably correct on both Hurricanes and Spartans. However, i think nationally, Texas gets UT, I'd give the nod to Ohio State for OSU, and I would give Iowa State the edge on ISU as not other ISU.....Ill St, Ind St, Ida State....are highly visible universities.
There is no "Indiana State University" that I'm aware of.

Indiana's "A&M" land-grant school is called Purdue University. And in the state capital and largest city of Indianapolis, there's this weird creature known as Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI, a palindromic set of initials).

Quote:
LSU is only LSU for this reason: the University of Louisiana's name was taken by what was originally a public university (Tulane University of Louisiana or just plain University of Louisiana) which turned into a private university, Tulane.

Only three universities that are the sole flagship universities in their respective states and have the word "State" in their names are given, I think, a pass on what they call themselves.

So Lousiana State gets to be known as LSU, Pennsylvania State goes by Penn State, and Ohio State is happy what it officially is....and calls itself Ohio State (of course, it puts the in front of the name The Ohio State University to let you know it is really "the' flagship...like schools such as The University of Illinois and The University of Wisconsin.
Didn't know that about Tulane.

There's a similar and lesser-known conflict regarding Princeton that only surfaced in the last 15 years.

When the Presbyteries of New York and Philadelphia decided to establish a college together halfway between the two cities in 1746, they gave it the name "The College of New Jersey."

It kept that name until sometime around 1893, when it adopted its present moniker as its graduate programs expanded.

About 15 years ago, one of New Jersey's state colleges, Trenton State, decided to capitalize on its rising popularity with students both within and beyond New Jersey (U.S. News named it one of the best college values in America several years running) and renamed itself The College of New Jersey.

Princeton University sued the school. Seems it never formally gave up the "College of New Jersey" name.

The two schools worked out some sort of amicable agreement (which I think involved a payment from the former Trenton State to Princeton, as if the latter needed it) that let Trenton State continue using the "College of New Jersey" name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is all from the perspective of a Los Angeles native living in the Tri-State with many friends that went to Big 10 schools:

I think USC is Southern California everywhere but the South.

UW is pretty split between Washington and Wisconsin.

OSU in CA OR and WA is often Oregon State. But OSU is still most likely Ohio State over both Oregon State and Oklahoma State. The only OUs that people generally talk about are Oregon and Oklahoma, and they're pretty split.

A regional one, but Rutgers is Rutgers Newark in North Jersey and Rutgers is Rutgers Camden in South Jersey.

Penn State is State College, even though Penn State is the system of PA universities.

Idk why University of Colorado is CU. My best guess is UC is so strongly connected to California they had to flip their name? Lol idk.

Alabama is bama, so UA is usually Arizona.
(emphasis added)

How did you manage to gloss right over just plain old Rutgers? The State University of New Jersey (Rutgers' subtitle) has its flagship campus in New Brunswick. Rutgers is interesting in that it's a long established private university (established in 1766 as Queen's College) that New Jersey turned quasi-public in 1911.

And other than Purdue, I can't think of another public state university whose name makes it sound like it's a private one. "Berkeley" doesn't count because everyone recognizes it as the flagship University of California campus.

Quote:
I know. But the flagship in Seattle is just UW. That’s not unusual. Although also parts os systems, there is no UM Ann Arbor, UA Tuscalousa, or UA Fayettesville. All those schools have no city name as part of their own. Mizzou went from the University of Missouri to the University of Missouri at Columbia....then back to the University of Missouri. Why? Because flagship universities have concluded that having city names as part of theirs localies what should be a state wide identity.

Other schools seem to want to go Mizzou’s route. The term UIUC is virtually dead. The school markets itself as Illinois. To a somewhat lesser degree, UW Madison markets itself as Wisconsin.

There is only one public flagship that totally emphasises its city’s name: Cal. The university’s logo highlights “Berkeley” and one doesn’t use the term University of California or the acronym UC for UC Berkeley. Of course, it alone in the UC system gets to call itself Cal and it is also true that athletically the school is offically “California”, but sports is the only place the university uses that name.

As far as other schools in the system, there are two others which get special treatment: UCLA and UCSF. There are no UC Los Angeles or UC San Francisco, but you can refer to UCSB as UC Santa Barbara....same deal goes for UCSD and UCSC. In fact, UCLA and UCSF are the only UC’s that never use city names.

For all intents and purposes, the University of California, Los Angeles doen’t exist. The school is UCLA. Once you could use U.C.L.A. But no more. UCLA is UCLA. It’s a kind of IBM, KFC, NBC sort of thing.
If people pronounce "UCLA" as a word rather than saying its initials, then it's an acronym.

One poster referred to these initials in general as acronyms. They're not: a set of initials is only an acronym when they're pronounced as though they spelled a word. All the others are merely abbreviations, though some refer to them as "initialisms" to distinguish them from abbreviations formed by cutting off part of a single word.

I'd meant to include here a prior post in which someone referred to The Pennsylvania State University as "the state university system" or somethign like that.

(By the way, since both Penn [a private university since its founding in 1740] and Penn State [known initially as the "Farmers High School" when it was created in 1855] now make a point of using those terms specifically in their marketing, and Penn's reputation has risen among its Ivy League peers, I think the Penn/Penn State confusion has diminished).

But now back to Penn State as "the state university system" of Pennsylvania.

Oddly enough, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania doesn't refer to it as such. It sits on the top of the heap of the state's public higher education system, and it has campuses all over the state, it is never referred to as the "state university system."

Rather, it's one of four universities, the other three formerly fully private institutions, that are called "state-related." What this means is that the state appoints a portion (but not a majority) of their governing boards and chips in to cover in-state tuition discounts, but the schools remain autonomous privately run institutions with their own endowments, policies and rules. The four "state-related" schools are: Penn State statewide (flagship campus: State College), Temple University in Philadelphia, the University of Pittsburgh ("Pitt") in Pittsburgh, and Lincoln University, an HBCU located in Chester County, outside Philadelphia. The collective term for these four schools is the "Commonwealth System of Higher Education." According to this Wikipedia article, it's the only public-private hybrid university system in the country.

Then there's the "State System of Higher Education." These 14 former teachers' colleges all gained university status sometime in the 1960s and are owned outright by the Commonwealth. These schools bear the names of the communities where their campuses are located: Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg*, California, Indiana (yep, there's an Indiana University of Pennsylvania, initials IUP), Cheyney (the nation's oldest HBCU), Edinboro, Clarion, Kutztown, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Millersville, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock and West Chester.

*The sports comic strip "Tank McNamara" made fun of a state school called "Enormous State University." I found it amusing that East Stroudsburg U had the same initials.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
What about universities that own their names but they're semi-unfortunate or maybe helpful...Simon Fraser University in Vancouver?

That brings up how university names really get known in the US. We're not all reading about studies every day. It's really about football and basketball and what they're called on broadcasts. If they decided Michigan is Michigan in the pre-war era (guessing they did, with the blessing of the athletic department), it's theirs.

Turns out SFU is a big deal in Canada. Who knew.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Don’t tell Larry Bird that. There’s most definitely an Indiana State University.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:18 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
You realize there are now four Tiger teams in the SEC now that Mizzou (much more widely used than "MU" to refer to the University of Missouri; you'll even find the word on MU's home page now) bolted the Big 12 (damn those Texans) for the SEC?

And with that, they wrecked one of the most spirited college football rivalries in the Heartland: MU-KU (one of the few times when the initials are used for Mizzou, mainly for balance).

Indiana's "A&M" land-grant school is called Purdue University. And in the state capital and largest city of Indianapolis, there's this weird creature known as Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI, a palindromic set of initials).

There's a similar and lesser-known conflict regarding Princeton that only surfaced in the last 15 years.

When the Presbyteries of New York and Philadelphia decided to establish a college together halfway between the two cities in 1746, they gave it the name "The College of New Jersey."

It kept that name until sometime around 1893, when it adopted its present moniker as its graduate programs expanded.

About 15 years ago, one of New Jersey's state colleges, Trenton State, decided to capitalize on its rising popularity with students both within and beyond New Jersey (U.S. News named it one of the best college values in America several years running) and renamed itself The College of New Jersey.

Princeton University sued the school. Seems it never formally gave up the "College of New Jersey" name.

The two schools worked out some sort of amicable agreement (which I think involved a payment from the former Trenton State to Princeton, as if the latter needed it) that let Trenton State continue using the "College of New Jersey" name.

(emphasis added)

How did you manage to gloss right over just plain old Rutgers? The State University of New Jersey (Rutgers' subtitle) has its flagship campus in New Brunswick. Rutgers is interesting in that it's a long established private university (established in 1766 as Queen's College) that New Jersey turned quasi-public in 1911.

And other than Purdue, I can't think of another public state university whose name makes it sound like it's a private one. "Berkeley" doesn't count because everyone recognizes it as the flagship University of California campus.

If people pronounce "UCLA" as a word rather than saying its initials, then it's an acronym.

One poster referred to these initials in general as acronyms. They're not: a set of initials is only an acronym when they're pronounced as though they spelled a word. All the others are merely abbreviations, though some refer to them as "initialisms" to distinguish them from abbreviations formed by cutting off part of a single word.

I'd meant to include here a prior post in which someone referred to The Pennsylvania State University as "the state university system" or somethign like that.

(By the way, since both Penn [a private university since its founding in 1740] and Penn State [known initially as the "Farmers High School" when it was created in 1855] now make a point of using those terms specifically in their marketing, and Penn's reputation has risen among its Ivy League peers, I think the Penn/Penn State confusion has diminished).

Oddly enough, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania doesn't refer to it as such. It sits on the top of the heap of the state's public higher education system, and it has campuses all over the state, it is never referred to as the "state university system."

Rather, it's one of four universities, the other three formerly fully private institutions, that are called "state-related." What this means is that the state appoints a portion (but not a majority) of their governing boards and chips in to cover in-state tuition discounts, but the schools remain autonomous privately run institutions with their own endowments, policies and rules. The four "state-related" schools are: Penn State statewide (flagship campus: State College), Temple University in Philadelphia, the University of Pittsburgh ("Pitt") in Pittsburgh, and Lincoln University, an HBCU located in Chester County, outside Philadelphia. The collective term for these four schools is the "Commonwealth System of Higher Education." According to this Wikipedia article, it's the only public-private hybrid university system in the country.

Then there's the "State System of Higher Education." These 14 former teachers' colleges all gained university status sometime in the 1960s and are owned outright by the Commonwealth. These schools bear the names of the communities where their campuses are located: Bloomsburg, East Stroudsburg*, California, Indiana (yep, there's an Indiana University of Pennsylvania, initials IUP), Cheyney (the nation's oldest HBCU), Edinboro, Clarion, Kutztown, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Millersville, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock and West Chester.

*The sports comic strip "Tank McNamara" made fun of a state school called "Enormous State University." I found it amusing that East Stroudsburg U had the same initials.
Actually, there is an Indiana State University. It's a former state teacher's college (formally known as Normal Schools); See: https://www.indstate.edu/

Interesting history of Pennsylvania's universities... Ironically, the Penn State name imbroglio isn't the first time big, bad University of Pennsylvania name raised confusion and angst for another school in the state. All the way on the other end of the state, Pitt, the University of Pittsburgh, was originally known as the University of Western Pennsylvania and, well, you see where this is going... Apparently it came to a head in 1893 at the World Colombian Exhibition (aka: the Chicago World's Fair) when in (I believe) the Arts & Sciences exhibition hall, U. Penn had a very large natural history cabinet display (skeletons, stuffed animals, plants, insects and the like) which was right next to that of, you guessed it, that of University of Western Pennsylvania; the latter being much smaller and IIRC, the Penn people were highly insulted that people confused their grand exhibit with the tiny one of University of Western Pennsylvania, letting the latter school hear about it, to the latter chagrin ... and even greater insult and chagrin, and at the conclusion of the World's Fair, vowed to do something about it...

But U. Western PA had bigger problems: the Pittsburgh (then spelled "Pittsburg" in those days, by most people -- not quite sure exactly when the "h" was hooked on at the end; sometime after 1900 I believe) was small, weak-financed vagabond school moving around every couple decades from place to place in/around the rapidly growing steel city (between 'Pittsburg' and the adjacent small town of Allegheny, which the former eventually annexed); worrying about its name was superfluous... But Penn, itself ironically, had recently (as in a decade or so) been a similar broke, lesser-known commuter school -- but Penn had come into some cash and moved from Center City Philadelphia across the river from it's cramped 2-building quarters (1 building for the college, the other for the medical school) wedged in next to Independence Hall, out onto verdant (then) farmland of West Philly (the school swung a deal with the City, which owned the land, to obtain a significant chunk free of charge, in exchange for a perpetual deal that at least 100 City kids received full-tuition scholarships -- a deal which came into question by city officials in the late 1990s as the Ivy League school had seemingly, quietly moved away from this policy, instead granting such scholarships from kids around the country ... somehow the controversy was eventually settled, somehow)...

It wasn't until after the turn of the 20th Century that the U. of Western PA itself found itself the recipient of some serious coin; just not U.Penn-level coin (UWP's
$$ coming from the Mellon family IIRC) to move to a permanent home on a plot of Pittsburgh hilly farmland, which came to be called "Oakland." It was then officials decided to end the maddening U.Penn confusion by changing their schools name to the University of Pittsburgh. Sadly for Pitt that, while a very good school, it just could swing that Ivy League/Ivy-like swagger of the big time cross-state private U... but it came close... Just prior to 1900 when UWP officials were looking for money and a permanent home, they turned to then uber-wealthy Pittsburgh steel-man Andrew Carnegie -- he of poor Scottish, HS dropout, immigrant beginnings who, by 1900, was in the twilight of life and, by then, giving his fortune away to cities, colleges and universities to build libraries ... with his name on them, of course. Had UWP-turned-Pitt become the prime beneficiary of Carnegie's vast wallet, well... Unfortunately for Pitt, Carnegie, instead, established (in 1900) his own, separate Carnegie Technical Schools, a series of Voc-Ed schools that quickly morphed into Carnegie Tech institute/university, morphing into a prestigious MIT/Caltech-type engineering institute (with, weirdly, a bigtime drama department) and then (in the 1960s) merging with the Mellon Institute to form Carnegie Mellon University ... a school which, obviously, itself has considerably more academic swag than Pitt (though, again, very good itself) and is more in the academic league with Penn...

... poor Pitt; just couldn't quite catch a break.

Last edited by TheProf; 07-25-2018 at 01:35 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 04:04 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Don’t tell Larry Bird that. There’s most definitely an Indiana State University.
Don’t tell MSU that either. Their first national champaionship came from beating Indiana State. Hey Indiana State’s Bryd could fly...but all the MAgic waswith MSU

Old 07-25-2018, 04:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:

(emphasis added)

IUPU Indianapolis is not its only campus. I think IUPU was created because more so than any state with two flagship universities, Indiana relly does seem to divide the curricula to a bigger degree than other states. IU gets the liberal arts and tech, agriculture goes to Purdue. Putting together IU and Purdue at those IUPU locations gave them a wider scope of curricula.

Purdue is unusual as being the only land granht school in a state with two flagships because it was a university from its inception, unlike Clemson, Texas A&M, Michigan State, and the rest of them which started life as colleges.

As for Purdue being the only state school whose name makes it sound private (I’m assuming you didn’t include Auburn or Clemson because they use their town names), I’d include others. Three in VA with W&M, James Madison, George Mason. In Ohio, I would say Miami.

Last edited by edsg25; 07-25-2018 at 04:30 AM..

Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
As for Purdue being the only state school whose name makes it sound private (I’m assuming you didn’t include Auburn or Clemson because they use their town names), I’d include others. Three in VA with W&M, James Madison, George Mason. In Ohio, I would say Miami.
Yeah, that was why I didn't put in Auburn or Clemson; after all, as I pointed out in that post, the 14 schools of Pennsylvania's State System of Higher Education all are named for the towns that house them. There is one joint urban campus: PASSHE Center City Philadelphia, which is housed in the historic former Lit Brothers department store at 8th and Market streets.

Miami, whether in Florida or Ohio, also falls into this category. James Madison and George Mason do not, though, and the College of William and Mary - the nation's second-oldest after Harvard - fits the "public-but-sounds-like-it's-private" category perfectly; thanks for raising it.

But while we're in Virginia, what about Mary Washington and Washington and Lee? Are those both purely private, or are they public or quasi-public like Rutgers and Penn State?

A perhaps relevant historical coda: My hometown of Kansas City lacked its own university for many decades; there were a few small colleges in nearby towns (William Jewell in Liberty and Park [now University] in Parkville the best-known) but none in the city itself. A bunch of civic-spirited folk saw this as a defect and pooled their money to establish the private University of Kansas City in 1933.

In 1961, the school was incorporated into the University of Missouri system and has been known since then as the University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC). It's fully public, not quasi-public like Rutgers, the University of Delaware or the four Commonwealth System schools in Pennsylvania.

Edited to add: There's one more university that falls into that "hybrid" category: Cornell. The Ivy League's only land-grant university is a private institution, but its land-grant schools are constituent schools of the State University of New York.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:39 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
UF, UCF, USF. If it has an F in the name then it can belong to only one state!!!

The only exception I know is FU. No not Florida University but Furman University in SC. Obscure but very religious college in SC.

FU is Fordham University in The Bronx.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Indiana University over Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City