Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM

132 posts, read 390,420 times

Advertisements

So the criteria would be

- Life style
- Economy overall
- Education
- Metropolitan Area population
- City Area population
- Professional Sports
- College Sports
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)
- Public Transportation
- Major Interstates and other roads
- Airport
- Housing
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)
- Proximity to other locations
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)
- Art galleries
- Music scene
- Natural scenery
- Museums
- Parks
- Shopping
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?)
- Notable companies headquartered here
- Anything else you can possibly think up and want to add

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:00 AM

132 posts, read 390,420 times
I see it-
- Life style -Toss up
- Economy overall-Dont know
- Education_ Louisville
- Metropolitan Area population-Memphis
- City Area population-Memphis
- Professional Sports-memphis
- College Sports-Memphis
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)Toss up-Prefer Memphis though
- Public Transportation-Thinking Memphis
- Major Interstates and other roads-Toss up
- Airport-Memphis
- Housing-louisville
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)-memphis
- Proximity to other locations-Memphis
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)-Toss up
- Art galleries-Toss up
- Music scene-Memphis
- Natural scenery-louisville
- Museums-Memphis
- Parks-Tossup
- Shopping-Memphis
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?)-Both in the south but Louisville is milder.
- Notable companies headquartered here-Memphis 3 Fortune 500 companies.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 PM

469 posts, read 970,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
I see it-
- Life style -Toss up
- Economy overall-Dont know
- Education_ Louisville
- Metropolitan Area population-Memphis
- City Area population-Memphis
- Professional Sports-memphis
- College Sports-Memphis
- City Scape (downtown, skyline, notable buildings)Toss up-Prefer Memphis though
- Public Transportation-Thinking Memphis
- Major Interstates and other roads-Toss up
- Airport-Memphis
- Housing-louisville
- Food (Ethnic food, unique food of it's own, etc..)-memphis
- Proximity to other locations-Memphis
- Economy growth and diversity (Post Recession climate)-Toss up
- Art galleries-Toss up
- Music scene-Memphis
- Natural scenery-louisville
- Museums-Memphis
- Parks-Tossup
- Shopping-Memphis
- Climate (which you prefer, and why?)-Both in the south but Louisville is milder.
- Notable companies headquartered here-Memphis 3 Fortune 500 companies.
I agree with every point above with the exception of the climate, which I believe is better in the winter in Memphis - less cold & snow.
To add emphasis I think Memphis has had more impact on the world with the following firsts:

First recording and expansion of Rock n Roll music and Blues music which with their implications and venues have drawn multiple millions of visitors to the city for the last several decades.

First Holiday Inns and development of the first and largest franchised hotel chain in the world. Now a large portion of the Hilton headquarters still remain.

World's first self service grocery supermarket, growing into an early large store chain.

World's first express air delivery service which became overnight guaranteed, then developed into the largest air and transmitted communications company, with a fleet of 700 jet cargo aircraft, a Superhub and 90 acre Worldwide Headquarters office and Exec. office complex all in Memphis making FedEx Tennessee's largest employer, and Memphis the world's largest freight handling airport for 13 years straight. This year China finally took that title away due to FedEx's construction of FedEx China Hub. Louisville's UPS Hub has created something similar in recent years, but UPS fleet contains 214 aircraft vs FedEx's 700, and the distinction of the company having basically begun in Louisville isn't there like FedEx in Memphis. Delta / KLM has also flown TN's only daily non stop flights to Europe for a decade now. Memphis is becoming the model for the new Aerotropolis airport concept.

Memphis' international name recognition is above Louisville's, as seen in the Austrailian post here on City Data listing it as the sixth most recognized U.S. city name there in Australia. Memphis was the top tourist destination for a time in the U.K. as well. The name Memphis appears or is heard in more songs than any modern city in the Twentieth century.

Just a little support for the above post!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Default Memphis vs. Louisville

Which city do you think is better
Waterfront-
architecture-
vibrancy-
skyline-
nightlife-
culture-
retail-
dining-
anything else you find important
clearly state which one you prefer
i dont know how to make a poll so every so often i will break in with a tally.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Both are VERY similar in size, location (off a major river), both are even the main airport hubs of the 2 largest deliver companies (UPS/ Louisville, FedEx/ Memphis). I think both have GREAT riverfronts, Memphis was smart enough to not build a freeway over theirs, though. Both just built new basketball arenas in nice downtown locations (Beale Street in MEM, Main St/ waterfront in LOU). Louisville has more of an ethnic German feel (esp on the older East Side), though not to the same level as Milwaukee or Cincinnati. Memphis' main dining corridor (Beale Street) is in the heart of downtown, while Louisville's is several miles to the east (Bardstown Rd & Frankfort Ave). A lot of dining establishments have returned downtown, but Memphis gets the edge on a livelier downtown.

The primary difference is crime. Memphis is consistently one of the highest crime American cities while Louisville is always among the lowest crime. The CD city profile page for Louisville only list crime for the old city limits (pre merger) and that's where most crime is. But still the overall crime rate is generally below 500, it would probably be below 300 if the merged city was used. Memphis city limits includes many suburban areas, but the overall crime rate still ranges from the high 800s to 1000.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Louisville-Kentucky.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Memphis-Tennessee.html

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,573 times
Louisville..................

Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM

469 posts, read 970,107 times
Memphis over Louisville

Waterfront - Memphis: more dramatic, historic.

Archt. - A draw For individual building comparisons.

Vibrancy - Memphis: Attractions, number of music venues, Pro Sports

Skyline - Memphis: Cooler structural Dwntwn building and bridge shapes.

Nightlife - Memphis

Culture - Memphis: blending of River lore, authentic American music origination with free wheeling entreprenuial business success.

Retail - Louisville edges Memphis by maybe one mall and an additional name store or two.

Dining - Memphis has a variety of cuisines to add to its superior pork barbecue choices, and a world renown Master Chef (only 50 in the U.S.) with his own place, a notable past exec. asst. Chef to Emeril in N.O. in her own place on the Main St. Trolley Line, and name chef owned places all over town.

Crime wise, you can't deny the ranking, but reporting methodologies vary widely from town to town, according to the FBI, and many similar cities are closer in actual crimes committed than the lists would indicate. Memphis Downtown and attraction area violent crimes are fewer than in any other part of town. Many of my associates and friends as well as myself have worked, attended conferences and entertained in East Memphis, Downtown, and Midtown for literally decades, and I know of no violent crime any of our group has encountered. Kudos to Louisville's efforts in keeping crime under control.
Louisville/Memphis is a better,closer comparison than Memphis/Birmingham.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Louisville..................
I've asked you this question twice, but you never answer, what parts of Memphis did you visit? You seem to hate it so much, I'm just wondering what you did/saw when you went there.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
I would also add the Louisville has a better, denser skyline; Memphis has a better, more modern freeway system

Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Louisville-2
Memphis-1

Last edited by btownboss4; 07-20-2011 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City