Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Louisville-3
Memphis-0
psssst~REPBOY picked Memphis over Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Louisville has it all over Memphis in terms of architecture.
I have also had far more memorable meals in Louisville.
Both cities suck as far as their airports.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,470 times
must have been in the florida sunshine too long, lol. i can't remember louisville's airport, simply because i haven't flown in or out of the city that much; however, it does, imo, have a great deal of beautiful architecture (germanic) specifically. memphis, however, has some very impressive classic architecture, too, but i would have to say louisville takes the win. as for airports, memphis' airport is significant to its community, as it contributes over 30 billion dollars to the memphis economy yearly, it is the busiest airport in the nation from 3 p.m. until 3 a.m. daily. it is the busiest cargo airport in the world, a fact held for 17 years. last year it missed that ranking, after china edged memphis just out of the number one spot for last year. memphis this year, however, has returned to the number one spot. as for passenger service, memphis ranks #1 in the nation for being on time w/ departures. it carried over 10.6 million passengers last year to approximately 250 destinations daily. currently, it is about to dedicate a new flight control terminal tower at 340 ft. in ht and a 28,000 sq ft administrative and training facility attached to the base of the terminal. it is the third tallest in the u.s. and 5th in ht in the world. it is state of the art and controls 4 air spaces for the faa.

all of the food courts and shops have been renovated, along w/ the addition of eateries and shops for passengers. light rail station connections have been made w/ the current work being done on the
the airport and the 7 story parking garage which will park 4,500 automobiles long term. a current 3 story parking garage will be used for short term parking. rental cars will be available on the two lower levels. an 850 foot moving side walk will provide service directly in to the check-in flight counters or to the security and gates. in addition, a new front has been put in place, which radically updates the approach to the airport. a new road system into and out of the main terminal has been completed. new runways and planned increases in daytime flights are being put in place. future plans call for reconfiguration of the terminals a,b, and c and updating of the concourse. consequently, memphis international is constantly upgrading its hub status for delta, its main carrier, however, 4 additional major carriers serve the city. i believe over 1 1/2 billion dollars has been spent on the airport in improvements since 1987. the world conference of airport directors was held in memphis this spring, and apparently these professionals were quite impressed w/ all of the activity happening in memphis---not just local or national, but global. i don't think that sucks at all. there are 5 airports in the metro, and all are doing fine. i would pick memphis.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM

469 posts, read 969,947 times
To update the Waterfront, Skyline, Retail and Vibrancy categories:

The long awaited announcement of start of construction came yesterday for the Memphis Pyramid's makeover. It will begin October 11 and will anchor an energized convention district, bordered on the south by the Downtown Marriott which will be enlarged to appx. 800 rooms and will include the revitalized "Pinch" entertainment and shopping District. All will be connected to the Cook Convention Center. This go ahead announcement comes on the heels of The finalizing of The Great American Steamboat Company's scheduled headquarters move to Downtown and the planned docking of the 435 passenger American Queen cruise paddlewheeler at Riverfront Landing as its home port. At this time it is the only overnight passenger boat on the Mississippi. 70's Regional entertainment hotspot Overton Square is being redeveloped in Midtown also for a planned comeback in the next year or two.
These moves ratchet the above categories up for the near future and together with the prominent Intl' Airport changes listed by Kingchef put Memphis on a faster track.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM

51 posts, read 101,711 times
Memphis........

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM

170 posts, read 347,442 times
Memphis. I do like the Louisville skyline better. But Memphis takes It overall IMO.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
I'm a HUGE fan of Louisville, especially the highlands district I think...Bardstown road and bonnycastle streets were always fun to walk around. I don't know, I just always liked Louisville, even if I always got criticized for never knowing how to pronounce it right

Old 04-26-2012, 10:22 AM

469 posts, read 969,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of Louisville, especially the highlands district I think...Bardstown road and bonnycastle streets were always fun to walk around. I don't know, I just always liked Louisville, even if I always got criticized for never knowing how to pronounce it right
Yes both Louisville and New Orleans have their distinctive local pronunciations. That's cool.
Honestly many Memphians appreciate Rick Patino's ongoing support of U of M athletic program's entry into the Big East. I always enjoyed the natural rivalry he and Calapari brought to the ongoing Tiger / Cardinal competion and it continued with Louisville / UK in the NCAA. I rooted for the Cardinals because of Patino and the Big East membership.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I like Memphis better than Louisville. I think Memphis get a bad rap. It has some issues, but it also has some great urban hoods that are very close to downtown and the river.

Louisville is highly underrated and has nice dense urban core, but like the general culture and personal identity of Memphis.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Which city do you think is better
Waterfront-
architecture-
vibrancy-
skyline-
nightlife-
culture-
retail-
dining-
anything else you find important
clearly state which one you prefer
i dont know how to make a poll so every so often i will break in with a tally.
Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City