Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the greatest degree of regional domination?
Atlanta (S) 63 33.16%
Austin (S) 0 0%
Baltimore (E) 2 1.05%
Boston (NE) 20 10.53%
Buffalo (NE) 1 0.53%
Charlotte (S) 2 1.05%
Chicago (MW) 83 43.68%
Cincinnati (MW) 1 0.53%
Cleveland (MW) 1 0.53%
Columbus (MW) 1 0.53%
Dallas (S) 24 12.63%
Denver (W) 18 9.47%
Detroit (MW) 2 1.05%
Houston (S) 7 3.68%
Indianapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Jacksonville (S) 1 0.53%
Kansas City (MW) 4 2.11%
Las Vegas (W) 1 0.53%
Los Angeles (W) 43 22.63%
Louisville (S) 1 0.53%
Memphis (S) 1 0.53%
Miami (S) 9 4.74%
Milwaukee (MW) 2 1.05%
Minneapolis (MW) 3 1.58%
Nashville (S) 4 2.11%
New Orleans (S) 5 2.63%
New York (NE) 67 35.26%
Orlando (S) 2 1.05%
Philadelphia (NE) 4 2.11%
Phoenix (W) 3 1.58%
Pittsburgh (NE) 3 1.58%
Portland (W) 0 0%
Sacramento (W) 1 0.53%
St. Louis (MW) 2 1.05%
Salt Lake (W) 1 0.53%
San Antonio (S) 1 0.53%
San Diego (W) 2 1.05%
San Francisco (W) 16 8.42%
San Jose (W) 3 1.58%
Seattle (W) 11 5.79%
Tampa (S) 1 0.53%
Washington (NE) 7 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 PM

923 posts, read 665,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yeah. I never lived in NC and walked around and thought “well, I can just feel the Atlanta GDP statistics in the air.”

I never drove through the Deep South to Texas and thought to myself “Its obvious ATL’s tourism number is big.” Ive drove through some of the Deep South... there was a Cajun flair, swamps, certain types of food, New Orleans Saints stickers everywhere, NoLa Hornets at some gas Stations. Driving through Those gulf states to Houston. I definitely felt more like I was in New Orleans turf than Atlanta’s turf. New Orleans has such a distinctive regional flair, people know what New Orleans food is. People know Madri Gras. People know creole and Cajun.

And I feel like Boston has by far a firm grip on New England. Not New York. I think Atlanta is a different world than Miami.

I agree with you there is more than simply data statistics of GDP. More than sheer size. NoLa is tiny. But it cast a long shadow on the Gulf states (near the gulf) I and has possibly the strongest identity in the southeast. Way more than Atlanta. Maybe more unique and very distinct and I think cast a long shadow.

Maybe it would make more sense to call, in the south’s case, ATL a crown jewel. Or the economic center of the south. But there’s just to many distinct flavors in the south (especially including Texas and Florida) for one to dominate. Cajun/Creole/Bayou.... Texas culture. Latin culture down in Miami. VA, NC, SC and GA have a similar vibe. The Deep South. Tennessee, Kentucky and Other southern states.

And arguments of GDP just doesn’t cut it for me. Sports teams, food, accents, amenities, etc is what I would look at more.
I said the very same thing about New Orleans having the most individually unique culture of the South but outside of the South people dont break down the South as you just described.They see much of it the same even thought most of us who live here and from here know better,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:48 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I agree with you there is more than simply data statistics of GDP. More than sheer size. NoLa is tiny. But it cast a long shadow on the Gulf states (near the gulf) I and has possibly the strongest identity in the southeast. Way more than Atlanta. Maybe more unique and very distinct and I think cast a long shadow.
NOLA "tiny"?

It was a pretty sizable metro before Katrina hit. And it's still not small now; it has a city population larger than that of any of South Carolina's principal cities and four of North Carolina's five. It would also be the largest city in the two states to its east.

The trouble is, two-thirds of New Orleans vamoosed when Katrina bore down on it, and one-third never bothered to return.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
NOLA "tiny"?

It was a pretty sizable metro before Katrina hit. And it's still not small now; it has a city population larger than that of any of South Carolina's principal cities and four of North Carolina's five. It would also be the largest city in the two states to its east.

The trouble is, two-thirds of New Orleans vamoosed when Katrina bore down on it, and one-third never bothered to return.
Yeah "tiny" is the wrong word to describe New Orleans. It's solidly midsized to me.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
NOLA "tiny"?

Maybe he means in comparison to Atlanta ,Houston or Dallas?

Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Maybe he means in comparison to Atlanta ,Houston or Dallas?
Still too much of an exaggeration, especially in connection with the point being made about it having an outsized stature.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:44 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
and MARTA

And your commitment to not giving credit where credit is due is also noteworthy.
I lived through that era also but ask anyone under 40,they dont know who JR ,Sue Ellen,or Miss Ellie are.

All you and others have to do is give me solid examples of what influence Houston has on the South since Im so wrong instead of just telling me "you are wrong"
Again, I went by aspects of your post for TV now instead of the usual movies filmed .... and because it's a cheaper generic location.

The Walking Dead series .... doesn't portray Atlanta today, or it is a very scary place. You went back decades in aspects too with back to even the 60s with things yourself. Dallas mentioned as if inferior had me remember the show. It was a BIG Recognition for TEXAS and DALLAS in that era worldwide.

Now if you want to go on to Houston. Not for me to take sides anyway. I'd say find a Atlanta vs Houston thread and re-open one if you don't find one create one.

But really..... using a TV show is trivial in the scope of things. Houston is a Big fish too. Enjoy a new thread to claim Atlanta is superior in that thread. I'm sure both can boast of a rising stardom pretty equally.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:27 AM

85 posts, read 92,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be proud View Post
atlanta "dominates" in culture and its ties to the southern region.no other city in the south carroies the history,relvane and culture of the southern united states today more than any other city in the south .regardless of gdp or population.
There is only one major city in the south and thats new orleans that has the history and culture that people attribut with the south.if new orleans had the corporate presence atlanta had,this would be another discussion about new orleans.

When you add important historical components along with the population size and gdp and the the culture of music and now film,why would any city like houston or dallas which most people cant think of many important historical or very little cultural events attributed to them.its not like im making it up.you can look at many of the threads and anything about the south atlanta is alwyas mentioned more than any city on these threads.

Important historical and cultural events and places of atlanta
sherman's march to sea/the battle of atlanta-side note:gone with the wind was centered around this historic event.one of the top selling books and movies of all time
people dont know that there really isnt a tara but they come looking for it anyway.

The term of "the new south"by atlanta constitution editor henry w grady(vapid racist but visionary in the vein of hitler) and his insistence of atlanta leading the way for the south to be an industrial and more progressive city with the establishment of georgia institute of technology.

The first skyscraper in the south out of these major cities was in atlanta

hartsfield jackson airport to be what it is thanks to the two mayors its named for.
Atlanta pulled away from birmingham,new orleans in growth shortly after that.

Atlanta was the only city voluntarily ended their lunch counter discrimination before the courts ordered and the mayor ivan allen was the only mayor in the south (including texas) to testify in favor of civil rights legislation.its motto for years:"the city to busy to hate"
hence it was well ahead of any city in the entire south including racist miami in those days.

Martin luther king acceptance of nobel peace prize televised internationally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_vxuomxdsg
martin luther king funeral on tv around the world

atlanta was the first major city in the south to elect a black mayor.maynard h.jackson.1972

maynard h jackson plan to increase the size of the black middle class in atlanta by awarding contracts to companies doing business with the city of atlanta, forcing them to hire women and minority companies to do at least 30% of work as sub contractors

marta was the first and only city in the entire south even today to have a public subway system 1972

the 1996 olympics represented the entire south it was generally accepted back then as the defacto capitol of the region calkled the south.
If you look up greatest moments in olympic history,mohammed ali lighting the torch was one of the biggest memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4vb_135z2e

in the 1990's atlanta was the center of r and b with laface records being headquartered there.
Toni braxton,babyface,usher,tlc and other labels like rowdy records and jermaine dupri's soso def.
Welcome to atlanta is a song you here still on the radio
now we have trap music which can be heard all around the world with artist using that same sound that atlanta is known for

even today one of the worlds most watch tv series is the walking dead.tours stay full of tourist and fans.

https://www.tecxipio.com/single-post...ide-popularity

the walking dead continues to break records worldwide

please give me a timeline of any other city in the south leading up till today where it would be as relevant to this discussion as what i have just laid out.
lmao!!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2018, 11:03 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah "tiny" is the wrong word to describe New Orleans. It's solidly midsized to me.
I said tiny very liberally.

I consider 1-2 million small, 1-3.5 million medium, 3.5 - 4.5 million large medium, 4.5 million+ large.

NoLa Metro - 1.23mm
Atlanta Metro - 5.88 mm
Dallas Metro - 6.4mm
Houston Metro - 6.5mm
Miami Metro - 6.1mm

Those are my standards and I kind of don't talk about metro's smaller than 1 million usually in context with cities like Orlando, Salt Lake, Minneapolis, etc.

My point being NoLa cast a long shadow culturally over a region and NoLa has a culture that stands out in the national mindset. I can go to multiple "NoLa/Louisiana" restaraunts. People dress up like Mardi Gras in different parts of the country. Saints have a large fan base. I can go to any grocery store and see Louisiana style food, Popeyes fast food. Even though Louisiana is generally in the name, I think there is a strong connotation of New Orleans with their Jazz and streetcars and Mardi Gras. People know about the French Quarter or Bourbon St. I can't name a street in ATL (Maybe Peach Tree. I just assume anything there is named after Peaches). Definitely can't name areas or places in Houston or Dallas. And I spend a fair amount of times on the urban boards.

It's something that GDP numbers or tourist numbers don't reflect.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Again, I went by aspects of your post for TV now instead of the usual movies filmed .... and because it's a cheaper generic location.

The Walking Dead series .... doesn't portray Atlanta today, or it is a very scary place. You went back decades in aspects too with back to even the 60s with things yourself. Dallas mentioned as if inferior had me remember the show. It was a BIG Recognition for TEXAS and DALLAS in that era worldwide.

Now if you want to go on to Houston. Not for me to take sides anyway. I'd say find a Atlanta vs Houston thread and re-open one if you don't find one create one.

But really..... using a TV show is trivial in the scope of things. Houston is a Big fish too. Enjoy a new thread to claim Atlanta is superior in that thread. I'm sure both can boast of a rising stardom pretty equally.
Im not taking sides either but Ya'll are acting like Im making it up.Atlanta is the city that "most" rep[resents the South
?
Have you watched Walking Dead?It very much STILL mentions Atlanta at least more than a few times a season,

Again DALLLAS is over 35 years old.Its inferior as in the sense is not remember by many people TODAY accept those of a certain age.

Yes its cheaperas are other cities that are even cheaper than Atlanta but I wonder why there are at least 6 current Prime Time shows that not only film in Atlanta or at the very least use Atlanta in the script as the backdrop.
The Gifted
The Resident
Walking Dead
Dynasty
ATLANTA
STAR
etc,etc,
Im still waiting on an answer about Houston;s well known culture and historical influence.Instead Im getting you trying real hard to pick a minor part of my argument to make it seem like I just brought up Walking Dead or Waffle House as to why Atlanta has influence when in actuality it was about how Atlanta represents the South with its notable cultural and historical events ,places ,etc.
None of which I have yet to hear from anyone who has insisted im wrong.

Surely Houston has some of these?Why not just spit them out?

Old 11-07-2018, 01:44 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,478,601 times
Quote:
Im not taking sides either but Ya'll are acting like Im making it up.Atlanta is the city that "most" rep[resents the South
?
Have you watched Walking Dead?It very much STILL mentions Atlanta at least more than a few times a season,

Again DALLLAS is over 35 years old.Its inferior as in the sense is not remember by many people TODAY accept those of a certain age.

Yes its cheaperas are other cities that are even cheaper than Atlanta but I wonder why there are at least 6 current Prime Time shows that not only film in Atlanta or at the very least use Atlanta in the script as the backdrop.
The Gifted
The Resident
Walking Dead
Dynasty
ATLANTA
STAR
etc,etc,
Im still waiting on an answer about Houston;s well known culture and historical influence.Instead Im getting you trying real hard to pick a minor part of my argument to make it seem like I just brought up Walking Dead or Waffle House as to why Atlanta has influence when in actuality it was about how Atlanta represents the South with its notable cultural and historical events ,places ,etc.
None of which I have yet to hear from anyone who has insisted im wrong.

Surely Houston has some of these?Why not just spit them out?

You missed a Big one " The Dukes of Hazzard",,, Atlanta was the big City to Hazzard County Georgia!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City