Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM

302 posts, read 933,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Like I said, the liberal bashes others and calls names. Misinformed would be someone declaring that California is beautiful beyond compare. Everyone has their own definition of beauty which means you are not the judge and jury on that! Misinformed would be SF declaring itself as a sanctuary city for illegals, I always thought SF was going downhill, and I was right. The opening poster wanted to know what was the best place for him to start outafter college, I think he is being misled. Atlanta of Chicago are vibrant happening places that are affordable and have great job markets so they would probably be his best choices.
Well, then it's a good thing you're not here right? Let's not discuss politics - you'll lose and this isn't the place for it.

He is not being misled - how many times have I said - visit all three cities because to each his own. Therefore, expressing my opinion that California is the most beautiful state to me, is not out of line. It's my opinion - just as everything you've written is your opinion. This is what this board mostly is - opinions, isn't it? It is of my opinion that Illinois (and Georgia for that matter) simply cannot compare with California, in any way shape or form. If I thought they could, I'd maybe live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Well, then it's a good thing you're not here right? Let's not discuss politics - you'll lose and this isn't the place for it.

He is not being misled - how many times have I said - visit all three cities because to each his own. Therefore, expressing my opinion that California is the most beautiful state to me, is not out of line. It's my opinion - just as everything you've written is your opinion. This is what this board mostly is - opinions, isn't it? It is of my opinion that Illinois (and Georgia for that matter) simply cannot compare with California, in any way shape or form. If I thought they could, I'd maybe live there.
Just because I am a conservative does not mean I will lose, I have more education than you and I am more informed! Anyway, California is not what it once was as a state. It is vastly overpriced, environmentally unfriendly, overpopulated and overrun by crime and illegals. You want this guy to move to SF because it has pretty scenery? Sorry but scenery does not pay the cost of living!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Just because I am a conservative does not mean I will lose, I have more education than you and I am more informed! Anyway, California is not what it once was as a state. It is vastly overpriced, environmentally unfriendly, overpopulated and overrun by crime and illegals. You want this guy to move to SF because it has pretty scenery? Sorry but scenery does not pay the cost of living!
Interesting - as an educated conservative I would think you would know that Arnold Schwarzenegger (he's our governor in case you didn't know) is a huge proponent of alternative energy. Alternative energy, in case you don't know, has the goal of using sources of energy other than oil - it is very environmentally friendly. You also may not know San Francisco was the first city in the U.S. to prohibit large grocery stores from using plastic bags - that's also environmentally friendly. You may also not know that the City of San Francisco has among the cleanest (if not the cleanest) tap water in the U.S.

I think I've stated more reasons than just the pretty scenery that make San Francisco great. You may think it's over-priced - I've always had the train of thought that you get what you pay for, and IMO San Francisco is a bargin.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Interesting - as an educated conservative I would think you would know that Arnold Schwarzenegger (he's our governor in case you didn't know) is a huge proponent of alternative energy. Alternative energy, in case you don't know, has the goal of using sources of energy other than oil - it is very environmentally friendly. You also may not know San Francisco was the first city in the U.S. to prohibit large grocery stores from using plastic bags - that's also environmentally friendly. You may also not know that the City of San Francisco has among the cleanest (if not the cleanest) tap water in the U.S.

I think I've stated more reasons than just the pretty scenery that make San Francisco great. You may think it's over-priced - I've always had the train of thought that you get what you pay for.
Interesting, but I knew that already. SF is trying to become more environmentally friendly but it is also suffering from out of control sprawl (not the city but the surrounding bay area). Traffic is as bad a problem as any other city and the aquifers and other water sources are suffering problems. SF bay has also not done a good job addressing runoff pollution of toxins.So in some ways it is doing ok, but others it is not.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
well, chicago's corruption allowed gangsters such as Al Capone to become billionaires (in today's dollars). Chicago has an infamous history regarding corruption. that's why i singled it out.

i think chicago is more selfish because chicago is what it is and what it is is a business mecca. chicago chases the dollar just as hard and fast as any city on the planet. chicago is a transportation hub and centered around business which focuses on the commercial and industrial sectors where san francisco is more concerned with non-money making adventures.
San Francisco is one of the major hubs for finance and banking in the world. How is that not money-oriented?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
San Francisco is one of the major hubs for finance and banking in the world. How is that not money-oriented?
Exactly. Believe me...you have to be a bit money-oriented in San Francisco. It costs a lot to live here and the more you make they more you can do.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
The venture capital industry is a massive economic machine, and the SF/Bay area completely dominates in that sector. Hundreds of billions of dollars pass hands in the silicon valley every year. I find it weird when people have the perception that SF is just some unemployed-hippie mecca. Must be all that AM radio.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
SF simply does not measure up to chicago in terms of business. it's an obvious advantage in favor of chicago. of course SF is a money making machine but not to the extent that chicago is.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Oh I am not disputing that, I'm just saying that the perception of SF as an economic slouch is wrong.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
what ruins a lot of these threads is the chicago homers. if you're from chicago, we get it, you like it. but to even compare the parks and so forth outside of chicago to san fran is just silly! that area of california is amongst the most beautiful and scenic in the world.
Well, if youd, you know, READ what Ive written, youd notice that I said that San Frans scenery trumps Chicago, hands down. I was just showing that Lake Michigan is beautiful in many areas, to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City