Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times

Advertisements

All I know is what I know. My mema would say she was going uptatown when she went anywhere bigger than Goldston. If indeed other Piedmont towns have some history of being called uptown as someone else alluded to, I can’t help but wonder if it was some Carolinian quirk. Regardless if it was geographic or linguistic roots in history, the reason it is called uptown now is for pr reasons. And it’s ok. As I said, Kane did the same with Midtown Raleigh, and he didn’t even have an old N&O article to provide some historical cover story.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:51 AM

8 posts, read 9,302 times
The two metros are roughly equal in population. Just to correct a post saying that Raleigh is half the size. Technically Raleigh and Durham are two separate metros, so people look at the population of the Raleigh metro and get mistaken.

The post that said that people were wrong for saying that Raleigh got more Northeast Coastal transplants while Charlotte got relatively more of Upstate NY and more inland Northeastern cities... where are you getting that data? I see your posted migration data maps. But all migration data I've seen is broken down jurisdictionally in a way that makes it almost impossible to fairly compare two metro areas migration numbers in that way.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofmice View Post
The two metros are roughly equal in population. Just to correct a post saying that Raleigh is half the size. Technically Raleigh and Durham are two separate metros, so people look at the population of the Raleigh metro and get mistaken.

The post that said that people were wrong for saying that Raleigh got more Northeast Coastal transplants while Charlotte got relatively more of Upstate NY and more inland Northeastern cities... where are you getting that data? I see your posted migration data maps. But all migration data I've seen is broken down jurisdictionally in a way that makes it almost impossible to fairly compare two metro areas migration numbers in that way.
Eh, Metro Charlotte is more than 25% larger than metro Durham and metro Raleigh combined. Which is a little less than a 600,000 person difference.

If you use the CSA, that difference shrinks to a 400,000 population gap between the two. But at the end of the day, it’s not like they’re separated by millions, but it’s still a sizable gap considering the size of the two.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM

A different way to look at it is that in 2010, Metrolina was at the same point the Triangle’s was estimated to be in 2017. So Charlotte is roughly 7 or so years ahead. Both are growing steadily so I can’t imagine the Triangle shaving more than a year or so off that any time soon. Charlotte will remain the primary metro in the state.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
A different way to look at it is that in 2010, Metrolina was at the same point the Triangle’s was estimated to be in 2017. So Charlotte is roughly 7 or so years ahead. Both are growing steadily so I can’t imagine the Triangle shaving more than a year or so off that any time soon. Charlotte will remain the primary metro in the state.
Im a little confused to what you’re referring to.

Metrolina, in what metro Charlotte was commonly referred to back in the 90’s, is a Metropolitan area.

Triangle is a Combined Statistical Area.

Are you saying the Raleigh CSA is 7 or so Years behind Charlotte CSA or MSA? In any event, I think - I think - CLT is growing faster by a tiny margin by percent (and more by raw number) - só not sure a year could be shaved off in any event. But it’s crazy how many people the 2 regions are adding. Hundreds of thousands? Sheesh.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:02 PM

I wasn’t really aware that Metrolina referred to MSA versus CSA, nor really that there was much distinction between the two except on the margins. At any rate, from what I could tell, Charlotte’s CSA was at 2.2 m in 2010, which is what the Triangle’s is estimated to be in 2017.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
I think Metrolina referred to the older CSA. A few of those counties have since become MSA counties. As it was stated, not a huge difference.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Raleigh's CSA actually got much smaller this year because OMB redrew boundaries. So the gap is much larger than stated.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:28 PM

OMB redraws the maps every couple years, sometimes they stick sometimes they don’t. The people didn’t actually move. I do think Raleigh gets the short end of the stick in these things. I think it’s the only top 50 city where you can live in the city but not in the city’s MSA. We will see how the 2020 numbers and classifications shake out, but we are still basically looking at the Triangle being behind Charlotte by a matter of years but nothing groundbreaking. The gap has closed quite a bit since I was a kid.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:04 PM

8 posts, read 9,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Eh, Metro Charlotte is more than 25% larger than metro Durham and metro Raleigh combined. Which is a little less than a 600,000 person difference.

If you use the CSA, that difference shrinks to a 400,000 population gap between the two. But at the end of the day, it’s not like they’re separated by millions, but it’s still a sizable gap considering the size of the two.
25% isn't really significant when comparing American metros in my opinion. Far far less than being 100% larger, which is what I was correcting. Use any random example of two American places that are close to each other and 25% different in population... if you ask most residents of either place they're going to say they don't notice a significant difference in size at that ratio. Most people aren't even able to guess within 75% accuracy of what their current metro's population is. I'm not hating on your favorite city so I don't know why you're trying to refute my point that they're similar in size rather than Charlotte being 2x as big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City