Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:42 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times

Advertisements

Houston, for all of its population growth, has private hourly earnings that have grown thirty cents from November 2014 to 2018. Hourly earnings rose from $27.30 to 27.60.

Talk about wage stagnation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 10:33 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombuchaluchador View Post
Tampa Bay and San Antonio come to mind. Both are growing very fast but have pretty inefficient economies. Jobs growth is good but advanced industry growth is weak, maybe Las Vegas?

Theres so much that goes into determining whether an economy is "weak" or not, that it can tough to determine economic health. I think just having positive growth rates is one sign of economic health. Lack of professional employment relative to size could be a measure of a weak economy overall.

Elkhart, Indiana is an economy that is ruled by RV manufacturers. It is seeing positive growth and income rates right now. I wouldn't say it's economy is good overall. There is no fallback industry. I think if many coastal Florida economies saw a decrease in tourism, they would see a huge hit on their overall economic health. Probably a sign of a weak economy.
San Antonio, actually, has a pretty solid economy. It is an economy centered around the military, healthcare, biomedical, manufacturing, finance/ insurance, and technology. Tourism and aerospace are also major economic drivers for S.A.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:10 AM

333 posts, read 239,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio, actually, has a pretty solid economy. It is an economy centered around the military, healthcare, biomedical, manufacturing, finance/ insurance, and technology. Tourism and aerospace are also major economic drivers for S.A.

You might be right. I do love San Antonio. Glad to hear it's doing well. I'm guessing by your name, you like it also!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:54 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
Growth is good I think. But growing too fast has consequences. It probably takes several Florida people to equal 1 Oregonian when it comes to economic efficiency. Just a guess.

Retirees probably effect this number.

Nashville and Orlando have similar GDPs, despite Orlando having something like 500,000 more people in is metro. And Orlando is probably not as weighed down in this metric by retirees as much as other Florida cities.

Low wage jobs definitely stagnate an economy. Also I think florida would see a massive hit if it even posted a few modest growth years. It has itself tied up to where it NEEDS to continue to pull in huge population numbers to make it's economies look good.
Exactly. And I just can’t imagine it being able to sustain that kind of growth. At some point, it’s going to be way overpopulated. I would say it’s already at that point myself. I was there last year and it felt really crowded.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Sacramento, San Antonio, etc., might have fine economies, but they're not high-wage economies.

It's probably unfair to expect otherwise. High-wage jobs are focused on relatively few metros...the typical list of coastal cities mainly.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM

184 posts, read 447,870 times
Some good info in this article.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...n-these-cities

Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Quote:
Growth is good I think. But growing too fast has consequences. It probably takes several Florida people to equal 1 Oregonian when it comes to economic efficiency. Just a guess.

Retirees probably effect this number.

Nashville and Orlando have similar GDPs, despite Orlando having something like 500,000 more people in is metro. And Orlando is probably not as weighed down in this metric by retirees as much as other Florida cities.

Low wage jobs definitely stagnate an economy. Also I think florida would see a massive hit if it even posted a few modest growth years. It has itself tied up to where it NEEDS to continue to pull in huge population numbers to make it's economies look good.
Again, this all comes down to retirees, Florida has many many places that are exclusive retirement areas. Florida has the 3rd fastest growing economy right behind Washington, and Oregon. Then again Florida has more people in just Dade and Broward county than Oregon has people so as said before not really a comparison.

I for one don't think Florida is overcrowded either you can drive from Pensacola To right outside of jacksonville almost 350 miles, and only 1.2 million live in the area. Neither has it reached california city density rates it just has many mid sized metros. One quarter of the states growth is in retirees it added 84k in 2017 alone.
https://smartasset.com/retirement/wh...g-2018-edition
https://www.usgovernmentspending.com...nding_2019bZ0h

Old 01-12-2019, 09:06 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Exactly. And I just can’t imagine it being able to sustain that kind of growth. At some point, it’s going to be way overpopulated. I would say it’s already at that point myself. I was there last year and it felt really crowded.
India has 4x the population of the USA with 1/3rd the land. We have a loooooong way to go!

Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 PM

333 posts, read 239,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Again, this all comes down to retirees, Florida has many many places that are exclusive retirement areas. Florida has the 3rd fastest growing economy right behind Washington, and Oregon. Then again Florida has more people in just Dade and Broward county than Oregon has people so as said before not really a comparison.

I for one don't think Florida is overcrowded either you can drive from Pensacola To right outside of jacksonville almost 350 miles, and only 1.2 million live in the area. Neither has it reached california city density rates it just has many mid sized metros. One quarter of the states growth is in retirees it added 84k in 2017 alone.
https://smartasset.com/retirement/wh...g-2018-edition
https://www.usgovernmentspending.com...nding_2019bZ0h
The only place that is exclusively retirees in Florida is The Villages. Your number leaves 3\4 of everyone else. Still a greater migration population than most other states combined.

Youre right. Complete apples to oranges comparison. Different types of economies and different sizes. Florida's economy is primarily tied to it's growth. It tends to do well when the nation as a whole does well. When people have money to spend. But as a previous article states, several Florida metros are service industry based and will see a vast majority of their jobs lost to automation in the future. Which I would argue is proof of a pretty lackluster economy.

Youre right. It's something like the 7th densest. Lots of room to grow... Which it will.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:11 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Myrtle Beach. Basically the same population growth/local economy story of any similarly-sized coastal Floridian city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City