Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando vs Richmond
Orlando 34 53.13%
Richmond 30 46.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. Downtown: Richmond
2. Walkability: Richmond by light years
3. Restaurants: Orlando for chains, Richmond for authentic/local
4. Transportation car and public: Both. Richmond is less car dependent.
5. Suburbs: Richmond. Orlando's are sprawl, cookie cutter and bland albeit like two of them
6. Scenery: Richmond
7. Climate: Richmond by light years. Orlando from May-Early October is practically unlivable. October-May, its the same weather everyday.
8. Friendliness: Richmond. Southern Hospitality
10. Outdoor recreation: Richmond. Close to Mountains
11. Economy: Orlando for any job. Richmond for white collar jobs.
12. Affordability: Richmond

Richmond hands down. Ive lived in Orlando and visited Richmond many times. Orlando is the worst city I have ever been too and everything around it, sucks. THe people are rude, its full of chains, all the new growth is unsustainable and sprawly... and the driving is a nightmare. Wages are also extremely low for the High COL. Dont move to Orlando. Just dont.

Also, Richmond is gorgeous, walkable and close to places like DC, Philly, Virginia Beach and Raleigh if you wanted to 'get away' to cities nearby that offer different and exciting things.
Just out of curiosity... How long were you in Orlando? And which part(s)?
Not particularly disagreeing with you, but just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times
Quote:
Orlando is the worst city I have ever been too and everything around it, sucks. THe people are rude, its full of chains, all the new growth is unsustainable and sprawly... and the driving is a nightmare. Wages are also extremely low for the High COL. Dont move to Orlando. Just dont.
Would seem that Orlando is in demand by the market right now so I guess your opinion is in the minority lol...

Old 08-09-2019, 05:17 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Moving to Florida to live inland defeats the purpose of living in Florida. I would not want to live in Florida unless I was going to live in a beach town. Daytona Beach is as about as close to Orlando as I would ever want to live. That's why I voted for Orlando.

I would not want to live in Richmond either. It's too Eastern for me. I have never had any desire to live in any of the Original 13 Colonies from Georgia to New England, especially east of the Appalachian Mountains. That area has too much of an "antique" vibe that does not appeal to me, although I can understand why it might appeal to somebody, because I do like US history.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Moving to Florida to live inland defeats the purpose of living in Florida. I would not want to live in Florida unless I was going to live in a beach town. Daytona Beach is as about as close to Orlando as I would ever want to live. That's why I voted for Orlando.
Orlando is a great choice to get a Florida lifestyle and not have to worry about being on the front lines when a hurricane comes through. And beaches aren't too far away and all the lakes in the region are a nice feature.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
1. Downtown: Richmond
2. Walkability: Richmond by light years
3. Restaurants: Orlando for chains, Richmond for authentic/local
4. Transportation car and public: Both. Richmond is less car dependent.
5. Suburbs: Richmond. Orlando's are sprawl, cookie cutter and bland albeit like two of them
6. Scenery: Richmond
7. Climate: Richmond by light years. Orlando from May-Early October is practically unlivable. October-May, its the same weather everyday.
8. Friendliness: Richmond. Southern Hospitality
10. Outdoor recreation: Richmond. Close to Mountains
11. Economy: Orlando for any job. Richmond for white collar jobs.
12. Affordability: Richmond

Richmond hands down. Ive lived in Orlando and visited Richmond many times. Orlando is the worst city I have ever been too and everything around it, sucks. THe people are rude, its full of chains, all the new growth is unsustainable and sprawly... and the driving is a nightmare. Wages are also extremely low for the High COL. Dont move to Orlando. Just dont.

Also, Richmond is gorgeous, walkable and close to places like DC, Philly, Virginia Beach and Raleigh if you wanted to 'get away' to cities nearby that offer different and exciting things.
I kinda agree with this. I have never lived in either place, but there was a moment when VCU and UCF were trying to hire me, so i visited a bunch of times. Richmond was a pleasant surprise: beautiful historic neighborhoods, a vibrant and charming downtown, some great museums. Orlando was a generic American horror - a bigger and more boring OKC. They put me up near that fake lake downtown Orlando, and I remember wandering around at 10 pm on a Wednesday looking for a nightcap, being the only person on the street, and nothing open, an effing wasteland of a place.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:52 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I kinda agree with this. I have never lived in either place, but there was a moment when VCU and UCF were trying to hire me, so i visited a bunch of times. Richmond was a pleasant surprise: beautiful historic neighborhoods, a vibrant and charming downtown, some great museums. Orlando was a generic American horror - a bigger and more boring OKC. They put me up near that fake lake downtown Orlando, and I remember wandering around at 10 pm on a Wednesday looking for a nightcap, being the only person on the street, and nothing open, an effing wasteland of a place.
Fake lake downtown... You mean Lake Eola? It’s not fake (lol.)
Also, not sure where you were that nothing was open at 10pm... That wouldn’t make much sense now, considering the country’s largest university is here and all. Where were you really? Definitely not downtown.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:30 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

I would not want to live in Richmond either. It's too Eastern for me. I have never had any desire to live in any of the Original 13 Colonies from Georgia to New England, especially east of the Appalachian Mountains. That area has too much of an "antique" vibe that does not appeal to me, although I can understand why it might appeal to somebody, because I do like US history.
An antique vibe? The same Sunbelt cities that are criticized as being too new? That’s an interesting hot take.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:32 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
An antique vibe? The same Sunbelt cities that are criticized as being too new? That’s an interesting hot take.
Well that would just be Georgia and the Carolinas, and even they have some "antique" cities, namely Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington (and possibly Asheville). Virginia on up seems to be what he/she is getting at for the most part.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:40 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Just out of curiosity... How long were you in Orlando? And which part(s)?
Not particularly disagreeing with you, but just wondering.
6 years. Lake Nona, Conway and Winter Garden. Conway was the best area of the three for convenience. Lake Nona was hands down the worst. Sprawled, cookie cutter and boring beyond belief.

Most people in the SE quadrant are looking to relocate out. It seems the five most common places of interest to move to are LA, Atlanta, Miami, New York and Boston by interest of people in the Orlando.

Also to the comment about Orlando's dead nightlife. I actually think Orlando has one of the better nightlife scenes. Its really cheap and the quality of the bars/clubs are really good around downtown Orlando. I actually really liked going out on Friday nights in Orlando. Nothing beats nickle beers and dolla shots lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City