Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 09:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

I’m a 34 year old single gay man and will be relocating from OKC to a new city in October. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to Houston or Phoenix. I’ll be moving without a job (Yes, I know this is risky) and will find one when I get there. From my research, I’ve come up with the following advantages and disadvantages of each. The factors I’m primarily considering are job opportunities, climate, and having a balance between cost of living and quality of life. I want a city with easy access to outdoor amenities as well as an active LGBT community. I’m wanting a warm/hot climate. Both cities would be a huge step up from OKC in terms of amenities. I think Houston definitely wins when considering only the city but it becomes more complicated when factoring in the surrounding areas, which is where Phoenix really shines.

Phoenix advantages:
-Outdoor recreation/scenery.
-Way more jobs in my field at my skill level with higher pay. Houston’s job market has me a bit nervous.
-Despite the flack Phoenix takes for being car-centric, it seems like there’s more walkable areas in the valley than in Houston.
-Not in the Bible Belt. Will have legal weed many years before Texas will.
-Traffic is more manageable

Houston advantages:
-I have a couple of friends there already. I know nobody in Phoenix. My friends will be a big help during the initial transition.
-Will be an easier move from OKC. It’s also closer which will make visiting family and friends easier.
-Its a true world class city on a level that Phoenix isn’t with all of the cultural amenities that go with that.
-Easy access to beaches.
-Summers aren’t quite as brutal

So if you were me, which would you choose? While Houston would be the easier move, easiest isn’t always best. What cultural amenities would I have access to in Houston that I wouldn’t in Phoenix? How’s the LGBT scene in either city? Are there any other factors I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Houston definitely.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Houston definitely.
My biggest concern about Houston is the job market. I think I’ll be able to find something quicker at the kind of pay I need in Phoenix. Rents are about the same between the two cities. That’s not to say Houston isn’t doable, it’s just going to be a tougher job search and I might be searching for a bit longer. This risk is somewhat offset by the fact that I know people in Houston.

I’m also torn between Houston’s beach access and Phoenix’s mountain surroundings plus easy access to Vegas and SoCal. I like that Arizona is probably going to legalize weed in 2020. Texas is probably at minimum a decade away.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:05 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Not knowing what your field of work is but also consider this; if you choose Houston it would put in proximity of 3 additional big metros with San Antonio, Austin and Dallas.

So while you would be in this transition phase putting in job applications, you could extend those to these areas and visit them while being in Texas and make a more informed decision. Of course depending on where you get offers extended.

In Arizona the only comparable metro you would have would be Phoenix itself and that's it.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I’m a 34 year old single gay man and will be relocating from OKC to a new city in October. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to Houston or Phoenix. I’ll be moving without a job (Yes, I know this is risky) and will find one when I get there. From my research, I’ve come up with the following advantages and disadvantages of each. The factors I’m primarily considering are job opportunities, climate, and having a balance between cost of living and quality of life. I want a city with easy access to outdoor amenities as well as an active LGBT community. I’m wanting a warm/hot climate. Both cities would be a huge step up from OKC in terms of amenities. I think Houston definitely wins when considering only the city but it becomes more complicated when factoring in the surrounding areas, which is where Phoenix really shines.

Phoenix advantages:
-Outdoor recreation/scenery.
-Way more jobs in my field at my skill level with higher pay. Houston’s job market has me a bit nervous.
-Despite the flack Phoenix takes for being car-centric, it seems like there’s more walkable areas in the valley than in Houston.
-Not in the Bible Belt. Will have legal weed many years before Texas will.
-Traffic is more manageable

Houston advantages:
-I have a couple of friends there already. I know nobody in Phoenix. My friends will be a big help during the initial transition.
-Will be an easier move from OKC. It’s also closer which will make visiting family and friends easier.
-Its a true world class city on a level that Phoenix isn’t with all of the cultural amenities that go with that.
-Easy access to beaches.
-Summers aren’t quite as brutal

So if you were me, which would you choose? While Houston would be the easier move, easiest isn’t always best. What cultural amenities would I have access to in Houston that I wouldn’t in Phoenix? How’s the LGBT scene in either city? Are there any other factors I should consider?
Outdoor activity at 110 degrees in Phoenix and dust storms? I don't see that as better than Houston. You can't do any hiking nearby in Houston but the beach is close by. If you want hiking, then its off to Austin.
Houston has the advantage of being driving distance to New Orleans, San Antonio, Dallas/FW and Austin.
You can book a cruise and drive to ship an hour away in Galveston. You have more connectivity for travel for sure. The other negative for Houston is high humidity that Arizona doesn't have.
Houston, while in Texas, isn't a conservative/bible toting town. Its the most diverse metro in the U.S. outside of NYC, and equal to L.A. Houston has a vibrant LGBQ community.
I'll agree on traffic for sure. Cost of living probably doesn't differ much.

Vegas and Los Angeles are further from Phoenix than any big city in Texas is from Houston. Going to L.A. is the same time Houston to New Orleans.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Outdoor activity at 110 degrees in Phoenix and dust storms? I don't see that as better than Houston. You can't do any hiking nearby in Houston but the beach is close by. If you want hiking, then its off to Austin.
Houston has the advantage of being driving distance to New Orleans, San Antonio, Dallas/FW and Austin.
You can book a cruise and drive to ship an hour away in Galveston. You have more connectivity for travel for sure. The other negative for Houston is high humidity that Arizona doesn't have.
Houston, while in Texas, isn't a conservative/bible toting town. Its the most diverse metro in the U.S. outside of NYC, and equal to L.A. Houston has a vibrant LGBQ community.
I'll agree on traffic for sure. Cost of living probably doesn't differ much.

Vegas and Los Angeles are further from Phoenix than any big city in Texas is from Houston. Going to L.A. is the same time Houston to New Orleans.
However, it isn’t 110 all year long and never is up in the higher elevations. Also, Houston is definitely a diverse, progressive city but the state of Texas is very conservative. Legal weed for instance is probably at least 10-15 years away. Phoenix is also a job seekers market right now and Houston is less so, largely because it’s economy is so dependent on oil and gas. If I was going to move to Texas I’d have better luck in Austin or Dallas. I like Dallas but I want a little more of a change from OKC.

With that said, I agree with you that Houston is in a class higher than Phoenix. Also the idea of having the coast so close is really attractive. Houston has a larger variety of gay bars than Phoenix and is actually in the running to get World Pride in a few years. If everything else was equal it would be a no brainer.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:16 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
I was in the same situation as you, strongly considering both cities to relocate w/o a job lined up. When it comes to finding work you can't go wrong with both cities imo. Both cities also have a solid transit system(not great and more bus oriented, but while not as easy as NYC you can get around w/o a car). Texas has no income tax, so if that's important to you, keep that in mind. The problem I have with Houston is you may have to speak Spanish in order to get hired in many positions, including blue collar work. The crazy weather doesn't help.

If you can put up with no beaches, brutal summers(tho you do want a hot climate so you're gonna get it), an income tax and the fact that Maricopa County is more red politically than Harris County, then Phoenix is your choice. Phoenix also has a gay and lesbian chamber of commerce: https://phoenixgaychamber.org/

Old 07-29-2019, 08:01 PM

14 posts, read 14,790 times
Speaking as a gay man, there are probably better dating options in Phoenix. Houston is an ugly people city.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 PM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Your heart is set on Phoenix, go for it! Curious why you didn't consider DFW - much closer to OKC yet all big city amenities and LGBT friendly

Old 07-30-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
Your heart is set on Phoenix, go for it! Curious why you didn't consider DFW - much closer to OKC yet all big city amenities and LGBT friendly
I’d be fine with DFW. I’d be much happier there than in OKC. However, a big part of me wants a little bit more of a change than that. I’d like to get out of the Great Plains if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City