Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 07:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You have to look at what each city does better than the other.

Houston has is much more international/diverse, has better food, better/more culture, and is more well rounded.

However since those things arent important to the OP and his initial inclination was Phoenix, Id probably go there. Phoenix has a higher HRC score and has way more to do outdoors. Its job market is also better for what his line of work is right now.

The dining scene is great in Phoenix, remember Scottsdale is a tourist mecca and they love fine dining, add to that Tempe and Phoenix and you won't run out of places to try. Barrio Cafe, Pizzeria Bianco, Cafe Monarch, just to name a few of the local eateries gaining national attention. You'll find plenty of options for international cuisine too be it Latin, Indian, southeast Asian, or just about any other variety you can ask for. Tempe is home to ASU, the 2nd or so largest university in the country, that brings in a wide range of cultures along with the amazing food that comes with.

It's not like Phoenix doesn't have culture, there's a ton going on here. Check-out the First Friday are walk, one of the largest in the country. There's a reason Meow Wolf is building in the Roosevelt neighborhood, the MIM, which is the single largest musical instrument collection in the world. Heard has one of the largest Native American art collections assembled. The dozens of art galleries on Roosevelt and Grand, this isn't Casper, Wyoming.

Yes, Houston has more because it's bigger but it's not an all or nothing trade off. You can have plenty of big city amenities including culture, food and diversity while still having access to an amazing amount of outdoor activities. I'd call that a pretty well rounded city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:42 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was considering Denver a while back but decided against it because I prefer warm/hot climates. Winters there are a little too long for my taste. I really don't like the idea of dealing with snow in April and May. I want mild winters and hot summers. Culturally speaking I think Denver would be a perfect fit but I don't think I'd care for the climate and also the cost of living there is outrageous these days.

Houston, despite being a liberal city, is in a state that is in many ways more backwards than Oklahoma at the state level (I wouldn't have said that before OK legalized strong beer/wine in grocery stores and medical marijuana).

Arizona still has some of that but overall it feels like the state is more purple and is less influenced by religious fundamentalism.

You hit the nail on the head with the statement in bold, Arizona's conservatism is less religious driven than it is in the Southern US. It's not an overly religious area where politics and religion are inseparable, I'm not sure about Texas because I've never followed their politics closely but I'd assume it's much more of an influence there.

If you haven't been yet, you should come visit Phoenix for an extended period if you can, maybe spend a week or so including 2 weekends if possible. I'd suggest staying somewhere downtown, such as Found:RE or Hotel Palomar. I'd even suggest not renting a car if you come in October or later in the year, you can easily get around downtown on foot or with the bike share, checkout the art galleries on Roosevelt Area and Grand Ave, visit the Melrose district (Phoenix's original gayborhood), uptown and downtown itself. Get to a speakeasy or two (Melinda's Alley, Valley Bar, Bitter and Twisted) and checkout some local comedy at Standup Live (This week sucks is a great show), stop in at Filmbar, Cobra Arcade Bar and a few of the breweries like Arizona Wilderness, State 48 and Mother Bunch. If you're into sports checkout a game or see what shows are happening at Comerica, TSR, Crescent Ballroom, Lost Leaf, Van Buren, Last Exit Live, Monarch Theater, Herberger Theater, or one of the others.

Then take the light rail over to Mill Avenue in Tempe and peruse the stores, food and nightlife around ASU's main campus. Checkout a game, hike A-Mountain, also hike South Mountain (if you can get in with the full moon hiking group that's a good time).

Grab a car for one day and do a day trip to Sedona, Prescott, Payson or Flagstaff for a change in scenery. You won't be disappointed by any of these.

When you come back take an uber to old town and take in the western galleries, western museum, and the famous Scottsdale shopping scene and nightlife. The canal area is a great spot for dining outdoors and there's usually some type of art event happening.

I think you may be really surprised how welcoming, open and diverse the Phoenix area actually is. While still a somewhat red state.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 8,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Phoenix 'feels' a lot more conservative than Houston. I really like Houston but I find this troubling: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/lgbt...s-continue-war

Have you considered Colorado?
That was earlier last year, but this past midterm election residents of Harris County did flip every county judge position to democrat, with a high number of them being now black female judges https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68581...udges-in-texas
Also, I’ve been reading that Texas is now classified as a swing state just by the high number of Latinx voters, and could possibly flip blue by 2020 or even 2024
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City