Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:00 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I wish it wasn't so hot. I like the scenery and COL. But it's hooootttttt

Houston is hot too, Phoenix high today is 98 and Houston is 101. Tomorrow it's 101 in Phoenix and 104 in Houston. Here's why I find Phoenix heat more manageable though, things Houston doesn't really have to offer.

- It's dry a majority of the year, late summer (now) which is monsoon season is when the humidity cranks up, but that's just for a few months of the year. As my southern transplants have told me over the years, even our monsoon season humidity is a piece of cake compared to the south.

- When it's dry heat we have a larger diurnal temperature change, sometimes 30 degrees difference between the high and low, so it can be 100 in the day but cool off the 70 at night giving you an awesome early morning or evening outdoors weather.
- Your close to the high country, so head up north on the weekends, within 2 hours driving it's 20-30 degrees cooler, that doesn't happen in Houston.
- The cool breeze of the pacific ocean is only a road trip away, in Houston you can head to the gulf but forget about the cool breeze part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:17 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Houston is hot too, Phoenix high today is 98 and Houston is 101. Tomorrow it's 101 in Phoenix and 104 in Houston. Here's why I find Phoenix heat more manageable though, things Houston doesn't really have to offer.

- It's dry a majority of the year, late summer (now) which is monsoon season is when the humidity cranks up, but that's just for a few months of the year. As my southern transplants have told me over the years, even our monsoon season humidity is a piece of cake compared to the south.

- When it's dry heat we have a larger diurnal temperature change, sometimes 30 degrees difference between the high and low, so it can be 100 in the day but cool off the 70 at night giving you an awesome early morning or evening outdoors weather.
- Your close to the high country, so head up north on the weekends, within 2 hours driving it's 20-30 degrees cooler, that doesn't happen in Houston.
- The cool breeze of the pacific ocean is only a road trip away, in Houston you can head to the gulf but forget about the cool breeze part.
Great points! The diversity of terrain and climates and day/weekend trips is one of the things that's attracting me to Phoenix. From Houston, you can do a weekend trip to New Orleans or Austin. From Phoenix, you can go to SoCal, Vegas, or any of the great things to do around Arizona. While I'd be excited to live near the beach if I lived in Houston, SoCal beaches are much nicer than the beaches in that part of Texas.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:21 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Quote:

It was 108 in Phoenix on 8/8 and 101 in Houston.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:22 PM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I’m a 34 year old single gay man and will be relocating from OKC to a new city in October. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to Houston or Phoenix. I’ll be moving without a job (Yes, I know this is risky) and will find one when I get there. From my research, I’ve come up with the following advantages and disadvantages of each. The factors I’m primarily considering are job opportunities, climate, and having a balance between cost of living and quality of life. I want a city with easy access to outdoor amenities as well as an active LGBT community. I’m wanting a warm/hot climate. Both cities would be a huge step up from OKC in terms of amenities. I think Houston definitely wins when considering only the city but it becomes more complicated when factoring in the surrounding areas, which is where Phoenix really shines.

Phoenix advantages:
-Outdoor recreation/scenery.
-Way more jobs in my field at my skill level with higher pay. Houston’s job market has me a bit nervous.
-Despite the flack Phoenix takes for being car-centric, it seems like there’s more walkable areas in the valley than in Houston.
-Not in the Bible Belt. Will have legal weed many years before Texas will.
-Traffic is more manageable

Houston advantages:
-I have a couple of friends there already. I know nobody in Phoenix. My friends will be a big help during the initial transition.
-Will be an easier move from OKC. It’s also closer which will make visiting family and friends easier.
-Its a true world class city on a level that Phoenix isn’t with all of the cultural amenities that go with that.
-Easy access to beaches.
-Summers aren’t quite as brutal

So if you were me, which would you choose? While Houston would be the easier move, easiest isn’t always best. What cultural amenities would I have access to in Houston that I wouldn’t in Phoenix? How’s the LGBT scene in either city? Are there any other factors I should consider?
I would select Houston, but Phoenix is very close 2nd place. Houston though just because a) bigger city and metro b) more LGBT in general c) bigger economy d) you know friends there already.

The surrounding area and climate in Phoenix blows Houston away though. Phoenix may have "hot summers," but very minimal humidity most days, so that 115 degrees is super super dry and not sticky, like Houston's 90 degrees will be.

I lived in Tucson for 7 years and went to Phoenix often. When living in Phoenix, you can go to the Sedona area, the Grand Canyon, Tucson, and Rocky Point/Baja California stunning beaches in Mexico. Plus San Diego and LA are super close flights and not too far roadtrips.

IMO, the Texas gulf coast is a bit hit or miss in spots. Some beautiful beaches but some that are frankly, kinda not ideal at all.

It's a tough choice. Both have bright futures, but if you like proximity to beaches and Oklahoma City more, pick Houston. Phoenix would be the more adventurous choice.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
It was 108 in Phoenix on 8/8 and 101 in Houston.

I bet the real feel on Houston that day was right around 108, temperature is only 1 element of heat.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
However, it isn’t 110 all year long and never is up in the higher elevations. Also, Houston is definitely a diverse, progressive city but the state of Texas is very conservative. Legal weed for instance is probably at least 10-15 years away. Phoenix is also a job seekers market right now and Houston is less so, largely because it’s economy is so dependent on oil and gas. If I was going to move to Texas I’d have better luck in Austin or Dallas. I like Dallas but I want a little more of a change from OKC.

With that said, I agree with you that Houston is in a class higher than Phoenix. Also the idea of having the coast so close is really attractive. Houston has a larger variety of gay bars than Phoenix and is actually in the running to get World Pride in a few years. If everything else was equal it would be a no brainer.
Phoenix 'feels' a lot more conservative than Houston. I really like Houston but I find this troubling: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/lgbt...s-continue-war

Have you considered Colorado?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:33 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
I bet the real feel on Houston that day was right around 108, temperature is only 1 element of heat.
Right now, the heat index in Houston is 106. In Phoenix, 101. So yes Texans, your cities can get hot too.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:18 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
You have to look at what each city does better than the other.

Houston has is much more international/diverse, has better food, better/more culture, and is more well rounded.

However since those things arent important to the OP and his initial inclination was Phoenix, Id probably go there. Phoenix has a higher HRC score and has way more to do outdoors. Its job market is also better for what his line of work is right now.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Phoenix 'feels' a lot more conservative than Houston. I really like Houston but I find this troubling: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/lgbt...s-continue-war

Have you considered Colorado?
I was considering Denver a while back but decided against it because I prefer warm/hot climates. Winters there are a little too long for my taste. I really don't like the idea of dealing with snow in April and May. I want mild winters and hot summers. Culturally speaking I think Denver would be a perfect fit but I don't think I'd care for the climate and also the cost of living there is outrageous these days.

Houston, despite being a liberal city, is in a state that is in many ways more backwards than Oklahoma at the state level (I wouldn't have said that before OK legalized strong beer/wine in grocery stores and medical marijuana).

Arizona still has some of that but overall it feels like the state is more purple and is less influenced by religious fundamentalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You have to look at what each city does better than the other.

Houston has is much more international/diverse, has better food, better/more culture, and is more well rounded.
I do care about those things but Phoenix is still the sixth largest city in the country and will be a HUGE step up from OKC in all of those categories, even if Houston is ahead. If it was Tuscon or Albuquerque vs Houston, with the same outdoor recreation opportunities but much smaller cities, I'd choose Houston without second thought.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:14 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,187 times
Default I vote for Houston

Houston is a great place. It has a lot more to offer than Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City