Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Isolated?
Seattle 24 17.14%
Denver 116 82.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
In regards to Seattle, Whistler and Victoria aren't too remote.
Too funny! Whistler has 12,000 people, about the size of Steamboat Springs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Too funny! Whistler has 12,000 people, about the size of Steamboat Springs!
Whistler isn't a self-sufficient city on its own, it's a world-renowned tourist destination and luxury ski-resort that (wealthy) people fly to in massive droves, and that's why proximity to it is a plus. I'd wager it's a lot more significant and attractive to a wider audience than Steamboat Springs but YMMV.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:55 PM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Whistler isn't a self-sufficient city on its own, it's a world-renowned tourist destination and luxury ski-resort that (wealthy) people fly to in massive droves, and that's why proximity to it is a plus. I'd wager it's a lot more significant and attractive to a wider audience than Steamboat Springs but YMMV.
Whistler isn't all that close to Seattle, but it is very close to Vancouver. In fact, maybe I could be educated, but the nearest ski area would be a place like Snoqualmie.

How connected are Seattle and Vancouver in the real world? They for some reason occupy a completely different headspace in my mind.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:21 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Whistler isn't all that close to Seattle, but it is very close to Vancouver. In fact, maybe I could be educated, but the nearest ski area would be a place like Snoqualmie.

How connected are Seattle and Vancouver in the real world? They for some reason occupy a completely different headspace in my mind.
Close in distance and tourists/shoppers do travel between the two but in terms of business and other aspects not that connected. There are efforts to change that though:

Front Page - Cascadia Innovation Corridor

https://www.seattletimes.com/sponsor...tion-corridor/

Old 03-05-2019, 03:37 PM

724 posts, read 559,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Close in distance and tourists/shoppers do travel between the two but in terms of business and other aspects not that connected. There are efforts to change that though:

Front Page - Cascadia Innovation Corridor

https://www.seattletimes.com/sponsor...tion-corridor/
Yeah, the border being there makes a huge difference. Technically Vancouver is close to Seattle than Portland is, but Portland feels more connected to Seattle.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:17 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,561 times
Quote:

Snoqualmie, Stevens Pass, and Crystal Mountain are all much closer to Seattle, I think that they were just making the point that a major world class skiing destination isn't all that far.

People may not associate the two cities- and as others have mentioned there are efforts underway to connect the region. As someone who lives halfway inbetween the two cities (Bellingham, actually closer to Vancouver), I can say that there are plenty of Canadian shoppers and tourists down here, and they play a key role in our local economy. But not a lot of alliances and partnerships between businesses and organizations. Yet. We stand to benefit, or at least grow and prosper as these things form and business expands.

Interestingly, much of my border county is either rural or wilderness. but again, this is about isolation- and knowing that the suburbs of a major metro start just twenty miles north of us makes it less lonely, even though we're all the way up in the corner...

Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Snoqualmie, Stevens Pass, and Crystal Mountain are all much closer to Seattle, I think that they were just making the point that a major world class skiing destination isn't all that far.

People may not associate the two cities- and as others have mentioned there are efforts underway to connect the region. As someone who lives halfway inbetween the two cities (Bellingham, actually closer to Vancouver), I can say that there are plenty of Canadian shoppers and tourists down here, and they play a key role in our local economy. But not a lot of alliances and partnerships between businesses and organizations. Yet. We stand to benefit, or at least grow and prosper as these things form and business expands.

Interestingly, much of my border county is either rural or wilderness. but again, this is about isolation- and knowing that the suburbs of a major metro start just twenty miles north of us makes it less lonely, even though we're all the way up in the corner...
Steamboat is #5 in the US and #4 in Colorado, has about 1 million skiers per year. It is 156 miles, about a three hour drive, from Denver.
Whistler has 1.3 million visitors (not necessarily skiiers) in the winter. It is 218 miles (5 hours) from Seattle. That's quite a trip.
https://snowbrains.com/top-10-most-p...s-ski-resorts/
https://media.whistler.com/all-about...ats-and-facts/

Old 03-05-2019, 09:12 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,693,060 times
Quote:
Which city feels more isolated to you, Seattle or Denver? This can be measured by distance to other major metro areas, the amount of area the city influences, etc. To someone in the Northeast, these two cities feel like the most major lower 48 US cities that are relatively isolated.
Neither one feels isolated. You must be joking.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:24 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Seattle and Vancouver are pretty connected. We visit each other as tourists in large numbers. Companies like Microsoft have second offices in Vancouver. We compete for seaport activity including the Alaska cruise market, with Seattle taking a small lead recently. International air connections are better from Canada so it's often cheaper to fly through there, and Vancouverites often fly through Seattle to US destinations. Vancouverites also flood Seattle anytime the Blue Jays are in town. Soccer is a new rivalry.

Victoria is an even easier connection though. The three-hour ferry is a bit faster than Amtrak to Vancouver, though I've only tried each in the summer. It's all downtown-downtown.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:50 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Steamboat is #5 in the US and #4 in Colorado, has about 1 million skiers per year. It is 156 miles, about a three hour drive, from Denver.
Whistler has 1.3 million visitors (not necessarily skiiers) in the winter. It is 218 miles (5 hours) from Seattle. That's quite a trip.
https://snowbrains.com/top-10-most-p...s-ski-resorts/
https://media.whistler.com/all-about...ats-and-facts/
LOL I didn't agree with Svelten, I was simply attempting to explain Bubb Rubb's observation that destinations like Whistler and Victoria aren't that far away from Seattle.

To your point, it sounds like he underestimates Steamboat's appeal, and yes Denver wins this comparison by being close to one of the biggest conglomerations of major resorts in North America. But Whistler Blackcomb is the largest individual complex, by a magnitude. And Seattle isn't lacking for nearby/regional access to ski areas- just not by as many household names.

Regardless, I don't feel that number of ski areas nearby gives anyone a big advantage as it pertains to this thread. Denver has no counterpart to Victoria nearby. Or to Vancouver, or Portland. Again, I've lived in CO and WA, and in my opinion....... Denver feels more isolated in daily living, with Seattle surrounded (both close by and further away) by many more cities and population centers of varying sizes in all directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City