Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: State with the most arrogant, snotty people?
New York 82 30.37%
New Jersey 27 10.00%
California 80 29.63%
Connecticut 37 13.70%
Massachusetts 44 16.30%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times

Advertisements

dxiseodwo. Good point. People around the Buffalo area and then Chautauqua County are among the nicest people I've ever met. Even most NYC people I've dealt with face to face have been fine and only occasionally have I run into a problem with people in NYC.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
LA, easily. Or, to be more specific, the little enclave known as Hollywood.

Okay, my brother is a screenwriter out there, and gets engaged to an LA girl. So we fly out there from Alabama for the wedding.

Now, mind you, we all dress well, have excellent manners, have postgraduate degrees, use proper grammar, know what a fish fork is for, and know what wine to order with dinner. Yet, the California people either ignored us or treated us as if we were the Joads, just pulled in on the flatbed truck with tattered clothes and all our belongings, with a coondog baying in the back.

Meanwhile, most of these LA types looked as if they had just tumbled out of bed, and were only interested in talking to other LA types.

At one point, one guy tried to be nice and approached me for a conversation. He asked me, "Now you're from Alabama, right?" And, grateful for somebody to talk to, I said yes.

With that, he asked me, "Now, were you excited to get on a plane and come allllll the way out here?" Yes, he really said that.

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Well, I'll tell you what was really exciting about this wedding."

"What's that?"

"These here are only the second pair of shoes I've ever owned."

At that point, he looked at me and said, "I said something wrong, didn't I?"

To which I replied, "No, you meant well. We've just been dealing with this all night." After that we have a fairly nice conversation.

Later, I was seated next to Courtney Thorne Smith (Like I said, it was a Hollywood wedding). I tried to start a couple of times, but I was studiously ignored. So, finally, I tapped her on the shoulder, and asked her, "Weren't you in some movie about ten years ago with Mark Harmon named Summer School?" This was 1995, when Melrose Place was all the rage.

She looked at me, for a moment, and finally replied, "Yes, I was."

To which I said, "Oh, good. I thought I recognized you. What do you do now?"

After that, we had a cordial conversation.I don't think she ever realized that she had been had.

The only nice Hollywood type there was Susan Anton. She was just great to talk to. The rest of them could have washed out into the Pacific Ocean as far as I was concerned. The marriage, mercifully, lasted about two months. My brother has since had the common sense to marry a woman for her brains and personality, rather than her cup size.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
I fully admit that we Californians are pretty bad. Certain areas within are dramatically worse, too.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I fully admit that we Californians are pretty bad. Certain areas within are dramatically worse, too.
yeah, also known as laguna beach, the valley, westwood, etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM

145 posts, read 508,837 times
yea California take sthe cake and I live here....we are not all like that though

Old 04-10-2008, 06:37 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I actually met some of the nicest people in the states listed. I really have found some of the most rude and thoughtless people here in Oregon, and I am from Massachusetts.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,127 times
OP must be from one of those state...and currently reside either in North Carolina or Georgia lol

Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM

893 posts, read 790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
LA, easily. Or, to be more specific, the little enclave known as Hollywood.

Okay, my brother is a screenwriter out there, and gets engaged to an LA girl. So we fly out there from Alabama for the wedding.

Now, mind you, we all dress well, have excellent manners, have postgraduate degrees, use proper grammar, know what a fish fork is for, and know what wine to order with dinner. Yet, the California people either ignored us or treated us as if we were the Joads, just pulled in on the flatbed truck with tattered clothes and all our belongings, with a coondog baying in the back.

Meanwhile, most of these LA types looked as if they had just tumbled out of bed, and were only interested in talking to other LA types.

At one point, one guy tried to be nice and approached me for a conversation. He asked me, "Now you're from Alabama, right?" And, grateful for somebody to talk to, I said yes.

With that, he asked me, "Now, were you excited to get on a plane and come allllll the way out here?" Yes, he really said that.

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Well, I'll tell you what was really exciting about this wedding."

"What's that?"

"These here are only the second pair of shoes I've ever owned."

At that point, he looked at me and said, "I said something wrong, didn't I?"

To which I replied, "No, you meant well. We've just been dealing with this all night." After that we have a fairly nice conversation.

Later, I was seated next to Courtney Thorne Smith (Like I said, it was a Hollywood wedding). I tried to start a couple of times, but I was studiously ignored. So, finally, I tapped her on the shoulder, and asked her, "Weren't you in some movie about ten years ago with Mark Harmon named Summer School?" This was 1995, when Melrose Place was all the rage.

She looked at me, for a moment, and finally replied, "Yes, I was."

To which I said, "Oh, good. I thought I recognized you. What do you do now?"

After that, we had a cordial conversation.I don't think she ever realized that she had been had.

The only nice Hollywood type there was Susan Anton. She was just great to talk to. The rest of them could have washed out into the Pacific Ocean as far as I was concerned. The marriage, mercifully, lasted about two months. My brother has since had the common sense to marry a woman for her brains and personality, rather than her cup size.
This was the best story I've read in a long time It's amazing how some people view the south. I think your quick sense of humor is great.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:04 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
SF AREA in my souvenirs is worse : I visited some friend's friends in Atherton, and they studiously avoided me, I could have been hot air.
Not to speak of the French expats of the Bay Area, they think they are "la créme de la créme" and I don't see why.
On the other hand as a teen I met Barbet Schroeder at Chateau something (the old hotel in Hollywood where the old stars sojourned) and he was OK, he didn't try to make a pass at me! (lol)

Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
Sorry, read "I visited some friend's FAMILY"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City