Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite city in the South for tourism
Asheville 7 3.93%
Atlanta 16 8.99%
Austin 2 1.12%
Biloxi - MS Gulf Coast 0 0%
Charleston 25 14.04%
Dallas/Fort Worth 5 2.81%
Houston/Galveston 5 2.81%
Memphis 3 1.69%
Mobile/Gulf Shores, AL 6 3.37%
Nashville 11 6.18%
New Orleans 52 29.21%
San Antonio 5 2.81%
Savannah 21 11.80%
Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Williamsburg 5 2.81%
Other 15 8.43%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times

Advertisements

I'd say Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans, however if you are into country music then Nashville is a must-visit! Also not the traditional South but I really like the Florida Keys especially Key West and the Middle Keys.

North Carolina doesn't really have touristy cities (Charlotte is extremely plastic and generic with little traditional Southern culture) but the Outer Banks and the mountains are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 03:33 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Charleston for me. At least that was my favorite city of the Carolinas...

Old 03-28-2019, 04:36 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
Aww, Miami would’ve been my first pick.

Food: New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta
Nightlife: Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans
Historical and Cultural Attractions: New Orleans, Atlanta, Savannah
Outdoor activities: Gulf Shores, VA Beach, Asheville
Shopping, boutiques, and unique retail: Dallas, Atlanta, Houston
Music: Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans
Ambiance, character, and soul: New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis

My pick would’ve been Miami/Florida, so I’m choosing the closest thing to it, Gulf Shores.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
is la floride no considered to be in the south ?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'd say Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans, however if you are into country music then Nashville is a must-visit! Also not the traditional South but I really like the Florida Keys especially Key West and the Middle Keys.

North Carolina doesn't really have touristy cities (Charlotte is extremely plastic and generic with little traditional Southern culture) but the Outer Banks and the mountains are amazing.
Asheville. You think all the people that have mentioned it in this thread are just making stuff up?

Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
I'd say

Food: New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah (honorable mention Houston & Atlanta)
Nightlife: New Orleans, Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, Austin
Historical and Cultural Attractions: New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta
Outdoor activities: Gulf Coast, Asheville
Shopping, boutiques, and unique retail: Dallas, Atlanta, Houston
Music: Atlanta, New Orleans, Austin, Memphis, Nashville
Ambiance, character, and soul: New Orleans, Atlanta, Memphis

Old 03-28-2019, 06:41 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
New Orleans by far!

Old 03-28-2019, 07:05 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is egregiously omitted here and much bigger than many options.

It may not be the very top destination but it's very high on the list and a rising star due to bourbon tours.
Well ya know, I went out of my way to be egregious and omit Louisville because of my personal vendetta with Kentucky.

No, seriously Louisville is totally legit for being southern and on the tourism radar. My bad, I circled the whole south in my mind when I made the poll wondering if left anything off before posting it and somehow I didn't get as far north as the Ohio River. I do get the appeal, I've even been following Top Chef Kentucky this season.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:18 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Are you serious? Charlotte still has plenty of traditional Southern Culture. Charlotte is Southern as hell.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is egregiously omitted here and much bigger than many options.

It may not be the very top destination but it's very high on the list and a rising star due to bourbon tours.
I've heard great things about Louisville, and I hear it's a very much under-rated city for living and things to do. I just don't think people realize what it offers.

With the Florida cities, New Orleans, Nashville & Memphis, Charleston, SC & Savannah, GA, the Great Smokies & Asheville, and the coast of NC & VA, other areas and cities get lost in the tourism noise--and overshadowed somewhat.

There are many amazing cities that offer so much in the southeast (and many other US areas), and I'd like to see them become more popular, including Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City