Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs Raleigh
Denver 22 33.85%
Raleigh 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 11:50 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
1. Do you have any evidence for teachers moving out? From what I hear, there are many more applicants than jobs for most teaching positions. My cousin taught in Raleigh, this is one of the things I do know about the place-NC schools in general are not highly funded. Now Wyoming. . .Lots of money for schools there.

2. I completely disagree with the bolds. The traffic isn't *that* bad, it's standard city driving. Ever driven in Minneapolis at rush hour? Raleigh is smaller, so probably less traffic. Little greenspace? Just about every city has tons of open space and trails.

3. Kids like sports. There are tons of soccer leagues around. My kids are slightly older than the "hipsters"; most of their friends are having kids. DD and her husband are expecting their first in July; lots of their friends have two already (mid 30s).
I could pull up articles if I wanted to, but I see enough teacher protests on my ride into work to get the notion that there's funding problems. You can't be a low tax state and have stellar services everywhere.

Yes traffic is THAT bad. It's standard traffic for a big city and Denver's not that big. Compared to it's peers in size, it's near the bottom of the list. Whens the last time you've driven I 25 south to E470 during rush hour??? Add to that the traffic on any interstate or highway heading out of Denver to the outdoors. Kids can't transport themselves. If a city doesn't have a lot of greenspace nearby, that means you have to drive the kids to it, which means kids spend more time indoors...

Sports are a family activity, but I was grouping that into the general single adult orientation of the city.

These issues aren't the end of the world obviously, but bigger families are going to feel the brunt of them much more than singles or couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Per pupil funding is higher in Colorado:
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/e...upil-data.html

Teacher salaries are higher in Colorado:
https://patch.com/us/across-america/...ch-state-ranks

It looks like Raleigh has one major league sports franchise, the Carolina Hurricanes of the NHL.

I live in the NW metro area, so the last time I did that drive you mention is probably "never". I've driven plenty on US 36, I-270, 1-225 (have relatives down that way), C-470 to my daughter's house. It is untrue that there is little green space in Denver and environs. Denver itself has several large parks and its mountain parks. Jefferson County has tons of open space and mountain parks. Ditto Boulder/Boulder County. I'm not as familiar as what Adams has. The idea that kids here spend more time indoors compared to Raleigh is preposterous. It's not 90+ degrees with 90+% humidity in the summer here.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:13 PM

213 posts, read 166,050 times
Definitely Denver has a more younger viber atmosphere...and that’s good, it shows there’s life and people enjoy living there

The problem with Denver is the main reason it became #1 or #2 moving destination

People moved there because it was afordable and in 5 years became unaffordable

Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
..Yes traffic is THAT bad. It's standard traffic for a big city and Denver's not that big. Compared to it's peers in size, it's near the bottom of the list. Whens the last time you've driven I 25 south to E470 during rush hour??? Add to that the traffic on any interstate or highway heading out of Denver to the outdoors. Kids can't transport themselves.
This is absolutely true. Many in Denver and CO try to ignore the reality, or con themselves that it's not that bad. But anyone awake and honest will admit that traffic is horrible (especially at rush hour). Denver in particular is at least a decade behind where it should be with transportation and mobility improvements. The state has huge issues over funding for infrastructure due to TABOR restrictions, so they just wring their hands and cross their fingers that it will somehow fix itself.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 52,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is absolutely true. Many in Denver and CO try to ignore the reality, or con themselves that it's not that bad. But anyone awake and honest will admit that traffic is horrible (especially at rush hour). Denver in particular is at least a decade behind where it should be with transportation and mobility improvements. The state has huge issues over funding for infrastructure due to TABOR restrictions, so they just wring their hands and cross their fingers that it will somehow fix itself.
Heard about similar issues with infrastructure in Raleigh area and pretty much every major growing areas will have same issues. For us, infrastructure and traffic situation will be better anywhere we go(in comparison with where we now of course)

Old 04-14-2019, 03:11 PM

28 posts, read 30,394 times
Raleigh.

The Raleigh-Durham-Cary area is an underrated gem. Having spent time in both Raleigh and Denver, I'd probably go with Raleigh.

You will get way more for your money, and I find it more relaxed. Access to the beach is great, and people overlook access to the Blue Ridge Mountains and Asheville area. Fly fishing at its best, great hiking.

Denver is OK, and on a clear day the mountains off in the distance are a great view. The LoDo and Larimer areas provide for great entertainment, too. But I concur that it feels pretty sprawl-ish. Also, getting to the mountains on a Friday evening or Saturday morning can be very slow and challenging. You might not enjoy them as much as you think. Yes, the air is dry, and I find that to be a big negative. I find that my mild asthma flares up in Denver -- could be the smog or the dryness.

Raleigh feels more homey to me, and just more relaxed. Great tech scene too.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:56 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Raleigh has better drivers if that matters. Better tech scene, more diverse . Still, I loved Denver. Keep in mind Raleigh is still the south/'

Old 04-14-2019, 09:09 PM

56 posts, read 52,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Raleigh has better drivers if that matters. Better tech scene, more diverse . Still, I loved Denver. Keep in mind Raleigh is still the south/'
“Still the South” - sounds like it’s something negative (but why?)

Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheSun View Post
Raleigh.

The Raleigh-Durham-Cary area is an underrated gem. Having spent time in both Raleigh and Denver, I'd probably go with Raleigh.

You will get way more for your money, and I find it more relaxed. Access to the beach is great, and people overlook access to the Blue Ridge Mountains and Asheville area. Fly fishing at its best, great hiking.

Denver is OK, and on a clear day the mountains off in the distance are a great view. The LoDo and Larimer areas provide for great entertainment, too. But I concur that it feels pretty sprawl-ish. Also, getting to the mountains on a Friday evening or Saturday morning can be very slow and challenging. You might not enjoy them as much as you think. Yes, the air is dry, and I find that to be a big negative. I find that my mild asthma flares up in Denver -- could be the smog or the dryness.

Raleigh feels more homey to me, and just more relaxed. Great tech scene too.
Don't mean to nitpick, but I don't see how this could be a negative for Denver and not Raleigh. Same with access to mountain activities.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:51 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The idea that kids here spend more time indoors compared to Raleigh is preposterous. It's not 90+ degrees with 90+% humidity in the summer here.
I don’t know about direct comparisons. But Raleigh doesn’t shut down in the summer. I think Wake County’s swim clubs top 10,000 nowadays and the soccer clubs are at least that large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City