Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of these 3?
Boise 15 19.74%
Madison 25 32.89%
Albuquerque 36 47.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 AM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times

Advertisements

It seems odd to compare a midwestern city to a pair of western cities...
everything is so different: climate, economy, history of settlement, etc.

More natural comparisons to Boise & Albuquerque would be Spokane, Reno, Colorado Springs, Tucson, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 06:02 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
It's funny that Madison is up against as the states #2 city compared to Albuquerque and Boise who are way bigger than any other city for 100's of miles. That alone should be an advantage over Madison but it's still not helping much.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 AM

345 posts, read 455,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's funny that Madison is up against as the states #2 city compared to Albuquerque and Boise who are way bigger than any other city for 100's of miles. That alone should be an advantage over Madison but it's still not helping much.

I think what you say is a minor factor that is strongly offset by the fact that Madison is capital of a state that is far larger than the other two, along with the flagship university of the same larger state right near its downtown.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
This is just another silly City-Data city vs. city thread and people will vote for the city they are most likely familiar with and/or the boosters from the local forums catch wind of these types of threads and all swoop in and vote for their own city and these types of threads attract trolls which is evidenced by a post or two. I wouldn't take poll numbers as an indicator of anything really.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:30 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
It seems odd to compare a midwestern city to a pair of western cities...
everything is so different: climate, economy, history of settlement, etc.

More natural comparisons to Boise & Albuquerque would be Spokane, Reno, Colorado Springs, Tucson, etc.
I agree that there are vast differences here, but I don't know how one could necessarily deem them uncomparable. I disagree that they can't be compared. I do think the vast majority of the broad sweeping statements being made in this thread are coming from a standpoint of regional bias, and not personal experience. That is endemic to this website, not just this comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
I think what you say is a minor factor that is strongly offset by the fact that Madison is capital of a state that is far larger than the other two, along with the flagship university of the same larger state right near its downtown.
That is true, Wisconsin's population is more than all of the areas these other two cities influence combined. I think these cities are more comparable, especially from a numbers standpoint, than some the detractors are crediting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
This is just another silly City-Data city vs. city thread and people will vote for the city they are most likely familiar with and/or the boosters from the local forums catch wind of these types of threads and all swoop in and vote for their own city and these types of threads attract trolls which is evidenced by a post or two. I wouldn't take poll numbers as an indicator of anything really.
Would this still be your position if Boise was winning this poll? I feel there is truth in your statements, but I think there is a tone of regional bias in it as well. Madison has the lowest number of homers of these three cities, but arguably benefits from better name recognition for the many people voting in this poll, that have never been to any of these cities.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:44 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I agree that there are vast differences here, but I don't know how one could necessarily deem them uncomparable. I disagree that they can't be compared. I do think the vast majority of the broad sweeping statements being made in this thread are coming from a standpoint of regional bias, and not personal experience. That is endemic to this website, not just this comparison.

That is true, Wisconsin's population is more than all of the areas these other two cities influence combined. I think these cities are more comparable, especially from a numbers standpoint, than some the detractors are crediting.

Would this still be your position if Boise was winning this poll? I feel there is truth in your statements, but I think there is a tone of regional bias in it as well. Madison has the lowest number of homers of these three cities, but arguably benefits from better name recognition for the many people voting in this poll, that have never been to any of these cities.
No because most city vs city threads are biased and most people (not all), have never been to all the cities in said polls.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:14 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
1. Albuquerque - Cost of living. Food. Climate.
2. Boise - Great outdoors. Great people. Nice economy. Cost of living is outpacing the national average.
3. Madison - Great downtown and lake. Nice economy for its size. Horrible climate. Expensive.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:56 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
I'd say it's a fair comparison though because all 3 metros are about the same size (<1M). The only possibly unfair one is ABQ, because it's just brushing up against the 1M mark while the other two cities have a ways to go. Climate is also different among all 3 cities, but I think to most people it's obvious that Albuquerque will walk away with this due to it's nice desert climate, whereas Madison is doomed by its humid, and brutally cold winter upper Midwestern climate.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:26 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
1. Albuquerque - Cost of living. Food. Climate.
2. Boise - Great outdoors. Great people. Nice economy. Cost of living is outpacing the national average.
3. Madison - Great downtown and lake. Nice economy for its size. Horrible climate. Expensive.
Madison's winter lasts about 3 months...summer is, very often, lovely. Horrible climate....not so much.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

You think Madison has better name recognition than Boise or Albuquerque? Outside of Wisconsin and neighboring states, I’d argue it has by far the worst name recognition of the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City