Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of these 3?
Boise 15 19.74%
Madison 25 32.89%
Albuquerque 36 47.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
You think Madison has better name recognition than Boise or Albuquerque? Outside of Wisconsin and neighboring states, I’d argue it has by far the worst name recognition of the three.
Lol....I don't think so. When you Google each city, here's what you'll find, as far as results:

Madison 301,000,000
Albuquerque 128,000,000
Boise 75,000,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Lol....I don't think so. When you Google each city, here's what you'll find, as far as results:

Madison 301,000,000
Albuquerque 128,000,000
Boise 75,000,000
I disagree, not many people know Madison outside of the Midwest and Northeast.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I disagree, not many people know Madison outside of the Midwest and Northeast.
Well, then they don't know a whole lot, do they? If you think Boise is better known than Madison, I'm sorry for you.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:32 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:

Madison 301,000,000
Albuquerque 128,000,000
Boise 75,000,000
You do realize Madison is also a person’s name and a common street name, right? Madison is not that well known outside of Wisconsin (or at the very least, the Midwest). I suspect in a random national survey a lot of people wouldn’t even be able to place which state it’s in. Boise and Albuquerque are the clear leading cities in their respective states and are more recognizable nationally.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
You do realize Madison is also a person’s name and a common street name, right? Madison is not that well known outside of Wisconsin (or at the very least, the Midwest). I suspect in a random national survey a lot of people wouldn’t even be able to place which state it’s in. Boise and Albuquerque are the clear leading cities in their respective states and are more recognizable nationally.
No one named Madison in that search. If you type in just Madison, instead of Madison, WI, you come up with
825,000,000. I really can't believe how much you don't get it. It's laughable.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:03 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Quote:
No one named Madison in that search. If you type in just Madison, instead of Madison, WI, you come up with
825,000,000. I really can't believe how much you don't get it. It's laughable.
Again - Madison is an extremely common name for cities, people, streets, stores, etc. Boise and Albuquerque are not. Your google search results method holds zero value in this discussion. Even typing in Madison, WI by the 4th page I’m seeing a result related to the Ashley Madison scandal. Google tends to put the most relevant results up front but then could literally add hundreds of thousands of tangentially related results to that number. There’s no way you reviewed anything more than a tiny fraction of those 300+K results. In the case of Boise and Albuquerque there are very few things outside of the cities with those names, so again it’s a terrible way to make any sort of comparison.

In terms of name recognition I’m not arguing that Boise and Albuquerque are super well known. I’m saying that there are many parts of the country where you’ll find people who don’t even know Madison exists, or if they do they know virtually nothing about it besides that it’s a city. In Wisconsin Milwaukee is obviously the most well known city nationally and one could argue Green Bay has the second best name recognition because of the storied NFL team. Madison is just not on a lot of people’s radars.

Now, in terms of which city I’d prefer to live in it’s Madison by a fair amount. I don’t like Albuquerque’s climate and lack of decent downtown. I like Boise’s downtown quite a bit but it’s too isolated overall. Madison is a great, underrated city and is not too far of a drive from a lot of interesting places. But name recognition - it’s definitely at the bottom.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:08 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
To the above poster, Albuquerque has a plenty decent downtown. I asked you early on in this thread when was the last time you were in Downtown Albuquerque to know what's going on?

Old 06-06-2019, 11:12 PM

As for Google search results, they must change because I get the results below while searching:

"Madison WI" - 293 million results

"Albuquerque" - 141 million results

"Boise" - 82 million results

"Breaking Bad" which is the name of the show that has helped Albuquerque gain worldwide fame and boosted tourism to the city from around the world, has nearly 1 billion results.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 PM

What is Madison's signature event in terms of drawing in tourists from far and wide? I ask because I'd like to compare the Google results for that between the three cities. In Boise I believe it is the Treefort Music Festival, but please correct me if I am wrong in that.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
What is Madison's signature event in terms of drawing in tourists from far and wide? I ask because I'd like to compare the Google results for that between the three cities. In Boise I believe it is the Treefort Music Festival, but please correct me if I am wrong in that.
The largest farmers market in the US is there, that's worth seeing.

But honestly, the annual Epic Systems conference brings in like 15k people for a few days; software is definitely big business in Madison lol. Other than that, there is not one event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City