Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most core-centric tourism oriented?
Atlanta 1 1.85%
Baltimore 3 5.56%
Chicago 8 14.81%
DC 15 27.78%
Dallas 2 3.70%
Houston 1 1.85%
Miami 1 1.85%
NYC 10 18.52%
Nashville 9 16.67%
Seattle 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 11:59 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times

Advertisements

Dunno about that. A lot of people only go to the famous places...literally the tourist traps. That includes a large chunk of people at any age.

And a lot of non-tourist-trap tourists will wait to exhaust the walking/immersion stuff in Manhattan before going further afield.

Brooklyn is awesome, but in my (somewhat limited) visits I've never seen throngs of tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Dunno about that. A lot of people only go to the famous places...literally the tourist traps. That includes a large chunk of people at any age.

And a lot of non-tourist-trap tourists will wait to exhaust the walking/immersion stuff in Manhattan before going further afield.

Brooklyn is awesome, but in my (somewhat limited) visits I've never seen throngs of tourists.
I haven't either. And I go there quite a bit. Lots of family throughout.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

They don't look like tourists, but go to any bar or restaurant in the "cool" Brooklyn neighborhoods and anywhere between 10-25% of the people there will be tourists.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
They don't look like tourists, but go to any bar or restaurant in the "cool" Brooklyn neighborhoods and anywhere between 10-25% of the people there will be tourists.
What would you say the "cool neighborhoods" of Brooklyn are?

And really, if tourists are in Brooklyn (for anything other than family/friends) it's likely to escape the tourist traps and experience more of the "real city," where locals live and whatnot. There aren't really any tourist amenities and/or attractions, are there? Unless I'm just missing them.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What would you say the "cool neighborhoods" of Brooklyn are?

And really, if tourists are in Brooklyn (for anything other than family/friends) it's likely to escape the tourist traps and experience more of the "real city," where locals live and whatnot. There aren't really any tourist amenities and/or attractions, are there? Unless I'm just missing them.
It's not just that. Brooklyn has become the chief nightlife destination for young people. A young person who wants to party with the cool kids is probably going to visit one or more of the following:

Williamsburg
Greenpoint
Bushwick
DUMBO
Fort Greene
Clinton Hill
Carol Gardens
Bed Stuy

Old 08-14-2019, 02:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
It's not just that. Brooklyn has become the chief nightlife destination for young people. A young person who wants to party with the cool kids is probably going to visit one or more of the following:

Williamsburg
Greenpoint
Bushwick
DUMBO
Fort Greene
Clinton Hill
Carol Gardens
Bed Stuy
There's a very popular club in Bushwick called House of Yes and like half the people I meet there are tourists. I meet tourists in the neighborhood bars all the time as well. Like you said, they blend in with locals because they're not middle aged people wearing fanny packs.

Dumbo and Coney Island seem to get a lot of tourists too.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
In the year 2019, almost any visitor under 30, and most under 40 are going to visit Brooklyn.
Agreed. Especially if they're in New York for at least a week.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There's a very popular club in Bushwick called House of Yes and like half the people I meet there are tourists. I meet tourists in the neighborhood bars all the time as well. Like you said, they blend in with locals because they're not middle aged people wearing fanny packs.

Dumbo and Coney Island seem to get a lot of tourists too.
So basically, tourists wanting to mingle with locals, and explore the local scenes. Hence, trying to get away from the tourist traps.

That's what I tend to do myself when I go visiting a place. I just don't think that makes the place "tourist-centric" though, as there really aren't many tourist amenities there.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
So basically, tourists wanting to mingle with locals, and explore the local scenes. Hence, trying to get away from the tourist traps.

That's what I tend to do myself when I go visiting a place. I just don't think that makes the place "tourist-centric" though, as there really aren't many tourist amenities there.
Not tourist traps but there are still lots of tourists there. Eating and drinking are popular things to do for tourists, so I would argue that those neighborhoods do have tourist amenities.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Not tourist traps but there are still lots of tourists there. Eating and drinking are popular things to do for tourists, so I would argue that those neighborhoods do have tourist amenities.
Yeah, I fail to see how dining and nightlife aren’t tourist amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City