Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Okay------name one redeeming quality of Gary.
The Miller Beach area is nice enough that many Chicagoans have summer homes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,410,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Miller Beach area is nice enough that many Chicagoans have summer homes there.
Yeah, this is pretty nice: http://spicerweb.org/Miller/scenes/M...lionLagoon.jpg

http://spicerweb.org/Miller/scenes/pavilionSpr.jpg

http://spicerweb.org/Miller/scenes/lagoonBridge.jpg

http://spicerweb.org/Miller/scenes/fatherMarq.jpg

http://spicerweb.org/Miller/scenes/lake-d.jpg

Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 AM

49 posts, read 356,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
Probably the dumpiest cities I've set foot in are Camden, NJ and Binghamton, NY. Even those, however, had a redeeming quality or two.
I agree! Here are some of the redeeming "qualities" of Binghamton, NY.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc227/upstate-100/bingmlibous.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by upstate--uk; 04-21-2008 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Forgot to refer to the city by name

Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,613,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Regarding New Haven: there are 3 very bad neighborhoods in New Haven: Newhallville, Fair Haven, and the Hill neighborhoods. Most other neighborhoods in New Haven are very nice. There are some "classic Americana" streets and neighborhood cafes, streetscapes, and street life in New Haven. Did you know they filmed some scenes depicting the 1950s (or earlier) for the new forthcoming Indiana Jones movie in New Haven?
New Haven has a wonderful quality of life. There are tons of restaurants, bars, and galleries/arts in this city. It's small (around 130k), but for its size, it easily rivals other cities in the 500k population department.
Sounds good! I have added New Haven to my list of cities to visit someday.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
i have only been to 2 cities where I found absolutely NO redeeming qualities--
Gary, Indiana and Cairo, Illinois
Capt. Dan--I would agree about Cairo, except when I went thru their last Fall, I did find a great little area off the beaten path (off the highway with its dliapidated, 50s style businesses with bars on the windows, and away from the abandoned old downtown). It was a maybe 2 x 3 block area of fabulous old Victorians on a tree lined, brick-paved street with a grassy boulevard down the middle. It was reminiscent of New Orleans' Garden District. It was very jarring to see this, surrounded on all 4 sides by crumbling neighborhoods.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Nice pix, ScranBarre! Do you have one of Hillary's dad's boyhood home? (Just curious, read he was a native Scrantonian!)

Old 04-21-2008, 03:25 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,511,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Sounds good! I have added New Haven to my list of cities to visit someday.
Yeah, you should. I was super surprised. Yale University is here--and that is the lifeblood of the city. It is a city positioned 1.5 hours from NYC, right on the beach, the mountains are an hour or so away, and it is a city full of nightlife and culture. It's truly a very vibrant smaller city.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,718,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Nice pix, ScranBarre! Do you have one of Hillary's dad's boyhood home? (Just curious, read he was a native Scrantonian!)
Thanks. To be honest I don't quite know the address of Mr. Rodham's childhood home, but I believe it is near the city's Providence section, which bridges the gap between "West Side" and "North Scranton." They attended a church in the Tripps Park neighborhood in West Side if I'm not mistaken. Trust me---we here in Scranton have been subjected to a television commercial every other minute reminding us that Hillary is just a "regular girl from Scranton."

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,718,441 times
Not to steal upstate's thunder, but I'm also an admirer of Binghamton (Bingo) from my perch across the state border and about an hour south of town. Of course it's not as "hip" as my native hometown of "The Office" fame, but it is certainly well on its way to being an awesome place in its own right. Let's also not forget that Rod Serling, creator of the "Twilight Zone" is a native of this town.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thanks. To be honest I don't quite know the address of Mr. Rodham's childhood home, but I believe it is near the city's Providence section, which bridges the gap between "West Side" and "North Scranton." They attended a church in the Tripps Park neighborhood in West Side if I'm not mistaken. Trust me---we here in Scranton have been subjected to a television commercial every other minute reminding us that Hillary is just a "regular girl from Scranton."
I can imagine, LOL! I was guessing that because she has been in the spotlight for so many months now and has Scranton roots (though apparently not born there herself), knowing local newspapers, they would've done something to trace her Scranton roots in depth! Sounds like her dad had a few bucks, but was descended from Scranton coal miners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City